SAU Community

Almost stock 180sx vs my 32?

I have an r32 gts4 with:

hybrid fmic

full 3in exhaust/hiflow cat

boost at 13psi

k&n pod filter.

And my mates 180sx has a full 3in exhaust and pod.

And he still pulls away from me quite easily. Is that normal?

On the highway i dont stand a chance against it.

Should it be a bit closer?

Hi druzilla32, sounds about right to me............

GTS4 - 160 + 5 + 15 + 10 + 3 = 193 kw with 1550 kgs inc driver & fuel = 8.0 kg's per kw

180SX - 150 + 15 + 3 = 168 kw with 1300 kgs inc driver & fuel = 7.7 kg's per kw

Yep, that's about what I'd expect.

Add a decent tune to yours, plus an ambient air intake and hot air shield, should net another 20 kw. Then you would have 7.3 kg's per kw and it would be the other way around.

There is a bit of rubber in the numbers, but I guess you get the drift.

Does power delivery and gearing come into it as well?

My friends SR always seemed to have more pull at 2-3,500rpm, but would need to change up gears at just on/under 6,000rpm. My RB seemed to have a little more stomp in the 4,000 to 6,500rpm range.

You would notice it coming onto the straight somewhere like Wakefield where coming out of the final corner i would catch up enough ground as he made earlier gear changes to pull alongsie (but never enough to overtake :) )

At the time they both had HKS cat backs and HKS air filters and both running about 10-11psi thru std coolers.

Hi druzilla32, sounds about right to me............

GTS4 - 160 + 5 + 15 + 10 + 3 = 193 kw with 1550 kgs inc driver & fuel = 8.0 kg's per kw

180SX - 150 + 15 + 3 = 168 kw with 1300 kgs inc driver & fuel = 7.7 kg's per kw

Yep, that's about what I'd expect.

Add a decent tune to yours, plus an ambient air intake and hot air shield, should net another 20 kw.    Then you would have 7.3 kg's per kw and it would be the other way around.

There is a bit of rubber in the numbers, but I guess you get the drift.

yer i also have pipes from my front bar up thru the stock cooler hole for some cold air.. I dont know how much diff that would make tho..

is there a template anywhere for a heat shield for the pod in an r32?

yer i also have pipes from my front bar up thru the stock cooler hole for some cold air.. I dont know how much diff that would make tho..  

is there a template anywhere for a heat shield for the pod in an r32?

I just got some of this insulation stuff and cut it to suit....and seal against the bonnet. Better than nothing i say!

hmmm i'm sure the best way to find out would be to dyno and really check out your car, it doesn't seem like you know much about the condition of the smaller things. ie. leads, spark, AF ratio and so forth. No one here has driven your car so we can only offer suggestions based on experience. My best suggestion would be to take it to a mechanic or a dyno and have it looked at. Might cost money but everything does these days. Might even pick up something nasty before it gets real bad.

man i hate 180sx's, but like everyone said get you Air Fuel Ratio checked out. The reason being with added boost the engine management adds more fuel to prevent knocking / detonation.

I take it that you dont have a aftermarket bov. Get a plumb back bov and youll be laughing all the way home.

hope that helps.

cheers

ak

hmmm i'm sure the best way to find out would be to dyno and really check out your car, it doesn't seem like you know much about the condition of the smaller things. ie. leads, spark, AF ratio and so forth. No one here has driven your car so we can only offer suggestions based on experience. My best suggestion would be to take it to a mechanic or a dyno and have it looked at. Might cost money but everything does these days. Might even pick up something nasty before it gets real bad.

Thats why i asked the question, to see if my car was running how it should be. I guess there are a few variables tho..

I have the car booked in for a major service on the 23rd of this month.. I will post my dyno readout.