SAU Community

Shell Petrol

GD2ILA

Hi everyone,

for the last 3 years, i have been using bp ultimate without any probs at all. but now my company has changed our petrol cards to shell, so i have to use shell now. can't find v-racing anywhere. is it still available?

that's not true, using 100RON is a great insurance policy on track days etc where you are worried about detonation without the skill (or ability) to back out timing from your tune or run less boost

but you can't buy 100RON so it doesn't matter. 98ron is all good

Like most I use bp 98 exclusively but had to change to the shell 98 when i went to wakie for 3 days of track madness recently.

the shell product never gave a hint of trouble and the plug colour was as good as ever it was with the bp.

Will continue to use the bp as it is only a kay from where i live but would have no probs using the shell product when the need arises.

A couple of years back when I was runing a pfc I did a holiday on the norhtern nsw coast. There waer 3 servos almost next door to each other so I filled up with 98 from bp, shell, and caltex on 3 different occasions and went cruising on much the same glorious roads each day.

The caltex was the surprise, It gave lower knock readings and the car ran better on it. draw your own conclusions but if i had the caltex 98 more readily available I would use it more often.

Like most I use bp 98 exclusively but had to change to the shell 98 when i went to wakie for 3 days of track madness recently.

the shell product never gave a hint of trouble and the plug colour was as good as ever it was with the bp.

Will continue to use the bp as it is only a kay from where i live but would have no probs using the shell product when the need arises.

A couple of years back when I was runing a pfc I did a holiday on the norhtern nsw coast. There waer 3 servos almost next door to each other so I filled up with 98 from bp, shell, and caltex on 3 different occasions and went cruising on much the same glorious roads each day.

The caltex was the surprise, It gave lower knock readings and the car ran better on it. draw your own conclusions but if i had the caltex 98 more readily available I would use it more often.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think most of those fuels come from the same refinery. The main difference is likely down to the freshness of the fuel.

IIRC BP, Shell, Mobil and Caltex supply each other fuel in different areas around the country, ie. pretty much all fuel in Melb comes from Mobil and Caltex as they have refineries here. BP and Shell supply Sydney and Northern NSW, and so on.

I'm sure someone here works in the industry and can clarify how it all works.

That sucks v power is 100 Octain in the UK

Even the Supermarkets sell 100 Octain lol

Personally I think its all a con anyway. I ran my car on 95 for over 2 years no problems even run a few 1/4 miles on it no problems managed a 14.27 pass @.5 bar 255bhp pritty much stock

Even managed 299bhp on the rollers on 95. and the a/f was said to be spot on. Although I will admit since the boost was increased and only since then it feels like it runs better on v power or the supermarket stuff.

But when it was stock 100 was not needed plus i can not believe that Nissan would have only mapped these engines to run on 100 or more they exported them all over the world in one form or another.

Just my 10 cents

I'm not 100% sure, but I think most of those fuels come from the same refinery. The main difference is likely down to the freshness of the fuel.

IIRC BP, Shell, Mobil and Caltex supply each other fuel in different areas around the country, ie. pretty much all fuel in Melb comes from Mobil and Caltex as they have refineries here. BP and Shell supply Sydney and Northern NSW, and so on.

I'm sure someone here works in the industry and can clarify how it all works.

It may well be fuel freshness, I am no expert on the fuel industry, I can only give the real world experience I had at that paticular time.

yes fuel companies share tanks and fuel as not all companies have refineries in every state so they share

and fuel does loose its octane count over time, so old fuel will certainly affect its level of resistance to knocking etc

this is more than likely to explain the level of resistance to knocking vs a specific brand

ie in some cases shell fuel will actually be mobil, and caltex may be BP

often i see people post up brand XYZ is evil and kills injectors, motors etc blah blah

i believe its more due to the fact of age of fuel at the servo vs a specific brand

that's not true, using 100RON is a great insurance policy

but you can't buy 100RON so it doesn't matter. 98ron is all good

Agreed. Used to get V-Power Racing when it was available and knock was eliminated almost completely. Struggled to get readings over 15 with 250rwkw, redlining in the middle of summer. Brilliant stuff.

United still sell 100RON

Shell have their own refinery here in Melbourne. The fuel terminal at Yarraville (under the westgate) is where all teh fuel truck fill up. They each lease the tanks from Shell and Mobil. Here's basically how it breaks down.

Shell have their own fuels

Caltex, Mobil and BP all share the same fuel under 98 Octane and e10 (in other words, they all get pumped out of the same tanks but put into different trucks)

Caltex has their own 98 fuel.

Mobil and BP share the same 98 but BP puts their own extra additives into it, what this means is that you can always turn Synergy 8000 into Ultimate but you can't turn Ultimate into Synergy.

As far as I'm aware they all get their e10 from the same place but get different blends of fuel to go into it hence the different RON they have. BP do have an e10 but it is not at the metro sites yet, only in the regional sites run by Reliance Petroleum.

Only reason I know all this is because I work for Reliance Petroleum who are the largest Australian distributor of BP Products. We are also a national distributor of Castrol.

I don't get a discount for working for them but I still use Ultimate as it has been the best performing in my car. I did also have great results with Caltex 98. I wouldn't use Shell V-Power personally unless there was no other choice, it goes stale quickly and loses it's octane rating faster than all the others, not sure why. I also got 80-90km less per tank out of it.

They say oils aint oils so I guess fuels arent fuels. I want to see the Ultimate 102 fuel that BP rolled out in the UK here but it's not going to happen now since they stopped selling it in March this year. The stuff would have been sweet Clicky!!

yeah and do you no how much they charge

Nearly $5 a lt!!!!!!

and its not on every bp fore court only selected places have it and I only come across ONE place and that was at Silverstone race circuit.

Or though the likes of santa pod drag stip will sell you 20lts of "race fuel" for about $150

Edited by jjskyline79

yeah and do you no how much they charge

Nearly $5 a lt!!!!!!

and its not on every bp fore court only selected places have it and I only come across ONE place and that was at Silverstone race circuit.

Or though the likes of santa pod drag stip will sell you 20lts of "race fuel" for about $150

Isn't normal juice about $3.00/litre over there anyway?

they couldn't have t at every servo because there was no need too. It was made in small batches of 20,000L and was the same fuel used in F1 for the winter season for $5 per L it's pretty steep but they were selling plenty of it, pitty the refinery closed that was making it :cool:

The only reason v=power racing was 100ron was because they used ethanol to bump it up, what was bullshit about that is the fact that they sold it for 5c a litre more than the normal v=power 98ron. It dosen't make sense when you see e10 unleaded sell cheaper than regular unleaded.

I wish it was still easy to get race fuel for the odd track day but good old emission rules and regulation screwed that.