SAU Community

The Ultimate Exhaust Sound Level Thread

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah my mufflers were custom made speicifcally for my car... They were not off-shelf items as far as i am aware.

It is 91dB, sometimes 92. Seems to depend on the meter and the mood of the car at the time.

Joys of having a HR31 i guess - Everything is custom :D

Yeah I rang racepace when I was looking for a custom 3.5inch exhuast and they said around from 3500 but when I asked about what mufflers and if they could just stick them in my current exhuast they said its all custom and they only work by building it from scratch the whole system.

adr 28 and adr 37 are the ones you should be looking at , from 90 to 94 model jap cars. the im240 test which does your nox and noise levels. are free in nsw . the rb25det for 90-94 models the noise must not exceed 92db . each car is stuck on a dyno and tested up to 4800 rpm. keeping in mind it has to be under 92db . including the load when coming back down from 4800. the decibel reader is a type 1. which must be calibrated every 3 months by a outsourced company (the same ones that will be doing the speed cameras mobile and fixed)

Aftermarket computers arnt illegal . they must be engineered the only ones that are illegal are the ones that have turn dials on them

pod filters arnt illegal but must be contained in a closure and engineered. its to prevent back fire coming through the pod.

emissions equipment for that motor must be all plugged up. volume adjust mufflers are illegal. but a nice resonator should be able to reduce noise

all information provided was given to me . by one of the men that help put together the adr for nsw . who currently works for the epa as a head engineer

Edited by butch

adr 28 and adr 37 are the ones you should be looking at , from 90 to 94 model jap cars. the im240 test which does your nox and noise levels. are free in nsw . the rb25det for 90-94 models the noise must not exceed 92db . each car is stuck on a dyno and tested up to 4800 rpm. keeping in mind it has to be under 92db . including the load when coming back down from 4800. the decibel reader is a type 1. which must be calibrated every 3 months by a outsourced company (the same ones that will be doing the speed cameras mobile and fixed)

Aftermarket computers arnt illegal . they must be engineered the only ones that are illegal are the ones that have turn dials on them

pod filters arnt illegal but must be contained in a closure and engineered. its to prevent back fire coming through the pod.

emissions equipment for that motor must be all plugged up. volume adjust mufflers are illegal. but a nice resonator should be able to reduce noise

all information provided was given to me . by one of the men that help put together the adr for nsw . who currently works for the epa as a head engineer

I'm getting Advan performance to build be a custom sealed pod box. Who would then need to engineer it? Would it need to be engineered or would it be fine as it will be well sealed.

I'm getting Advan performance to build be a custom sealed pod box. Who would then need to engineer it? Would it need to be engineered or would it be fine as it will be well sealed.

yes it must be engineered. i cannot stress anymore .than dont go to the pits at roseville. there by the book and it will Fcuk you over and ask for more. when the items are engineered . majority of cases blue slippers turn there head

Yeah I rang racepace when I was looking for a custom 3.5inch exhuast and they said around from 3500 but when I asked about what mufflers and if they could just stick them in my current exhuast they said its all custom and they only work by building it from scratch the whole system.

This is correct, mufflers are custom made in house. There is an option of single outlet or dual outlet (stock looking) for the rear muffler. In my opinion one of the best exhausts for modified cars that prefer to sound as quiet as possible. I have a one off twin 3'' full exhaust with dual tips. Looks standardish from the rear, only thing giving it away is that it's stainless. I had contemplated painting it black, but just couldn't bring myself to doing it. It's slightly louder than the common 3.5'' single, but it does flow really well. Looking at it when on the hoist just amazes me every time....

yea dont think a resignator increases power buddy . . .

Resignator? I'll take it you mean resonator.

An aftermarket exhaust is illegal not so much due to increasing flow/power but more importantly increases emissions and noise. That is more important to the governing bodies as it is harming the environment, moreso than the standard exhaust in which has undergone vigorous testing, suposedly anyway....

Had my noise test last month at the Noble Park brake and clutch, my stockie only put out around 86 dB at 5100 rpm, while I was there I saw an old guy with stock Porch Carera S got done for exaust noise as well, and he gave me a look...... like cos of you people driving skyline with muffler that's why I got done as well, lol...

yes u are just not engine mods and an exhaust isnt an engine mod

In Victoria, it most certainly is and can be counted as a power increasing modification.

It says any modification that can increase the cars power output - and this is what a "sports exhaust", and changing exhaust components can easily be attributed too.

Just have a look @ all the marketing of "sports exhausts" around the place, you will not win that argument in a court.

I've heard Sabbadin automotive also do custom exhausts, not sure if they are as quiet as the Racepace ones.

I do plan to try one at some point...

• 3 weeks later...
Just real rude and arrogant.. real SHIT bloke haha

ps he's in tullamarine melbourne so if u reAd this don't go there

i agree 100%, i have never met somebody as rude as him before. no matter how nice i tried to be this guy was a douche and i have told sooo many people to think about trying another place for your epa test. plus there is more but im not going into details here.