SAU Community

The Ultimate Exhaust Sound Level Thread

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't its pretty flawed to be testing cars in neutral?

When the engine's under load obviously the exhaust note will be louder, and every engine has different load characteristics (more boost = more load etc...)

Wouldn't a more accurate test be to test a car's noise under load, not in neutral? lol Good one EPA...

Somethings not right there

Does anyone know if the ADM R32 GTRs had the same exhaust as JDM? Or did Nissan get some sort of low sales volume concession on the noise level issue? Otherwise I cant see how they could have sold them here legally....

It's hard to find a performance exhaust that is still quiet - I went for a Fujitsubo catback, metal cat and JJR bellmouth dump and it is still pretty quiet but flows a lot better than the stock system. I'm sure if you heavily modified it would pose a restriction but for light mods they are a good brand to go for. Mine has an oval centre muffler and a big oval rear muffler - there's a canon type but I'm sure it would be noisier.

The EPA laws for Vic are stupid - factory cars do not pass.

Just how it is.

Im sorry and you (not you personally) let them get away with this

f**k me id be taking it as far as i could go

If i had an engineers report that allowed my car to be road worthy with factory fitted exhaust and it failed an EPA noise level test later then someone or something is wrong

and its not me.

Id be calling my solicitor

Im sorry and you (not you personally) let them get away with this

f**k me id be taking it as far as i could go

If i had an engineers report that allowed my car to be road worthy with factory fitted exhaust and it failed an EPA noise level test later then someone or something is wrong

and its not me.

Id be calling my solicitor

If you can provide proof (e.g. receipts or part number on the parts) to the whole car is stock from factory I'm pretty sure you will win the case. Else, it'll just be too hard. Especially old/imports, I doubt theres one thats truly stock.

Those numbers are pretty surprising. I've got the TI-R on my 33GTR (only mod is catback, cat and pfc tuned to 250awkw) and its nowhere near 95dB or maybe it wasnt tested at 5100rpm. I might test it again just to confirm next time when I'm servicing the car.

If you can provide proof (e.g. receipts or part number on the parts) to the whole car is stock from factory I'm pretty sure you will win the case. Else, it'll just be too hard. Especially old/imports, I doubt theres one thats truly stock.

Those numbers are pretty surprising. I've got the TI-R on my 33GTR (only mod is catback, cat and pfc tuned to 250awkw) and its nowhere near 95dB or maybe it wasnt tested at 5100rpm. I might test it again just to confirm next time when I'm servicing the car.

Thats cool I still have a stock exhaust (somewhere that I can put back on even do comparisons as i'm pritty sure the after market one is quieter still) and can get part numbers easy enough so that, with the engineers report/rwc should make a very interesting court case.

It comes as no surprise we have similar problems back home sometimes.

Edited by jjskyline79

• 2 weeks later...
When I was having my noise EPA taken off my car with a stock 33 gtst catback my car was hovering at 91 DB he was a shit bloke but ended up letting me go.

90db is very quiet

LOL shit bloke that's funny as...why was he shit?

anyone else got any stats for s14s?

Here you go mate. If your after an after market job it seems your only legal option is the Blitz Nur Spec.

Nissan Silvia

Stock Exhaust

Nissan Silvia S13 CA18DET - 87db

Nissan Silvia S13 SR20DET - 85db

Nissan Silvia S14 SR20DE - 87db

Nissan Silvia S14 SR20DET - 83db

Nissan Silvia S15 SR20DE - 87db

Nissan Silvia S15 SR20DET - 88db

----------------------------------------------------------------------

HKS Hi-Power 409 Muffler

S14 SR20DE - 94dB

S14 SR20DET - 99dB