SAU Community

Hazard Perception Test: Green P Plates! How To Pass?

La Bomba

well seeing as a moderator took predujice against me, i will repost the thread.

"How do i pass the Hazard Perception Test, someone told me you always touch the screeen to slow down and dont touch the screen to turn? Is this true?"

i dont know how passing the HPT needed to be specific seeing as it revolves around turns and slowing down?

read RTA website...has all the details there

I have readed it, and it doesn't make sense. and the practice flash gifs dont help at all!

Basically: the one where you press the screen? Any time there is any kind of hazard or potential hazard, tap the screen.

This includes mums with strollers on the side of the road, cars coming to a stop at a perpendicular street (who would have to wait for you to go past as you have right of way), people opening doors... all of it. I think the most I hit the screen in one go was like 8 times (keep in mind this was like 7-8 years ago now)

As for the turning right against traffic: only press when you have a HUGE gap.

i too shat bricks about failing this test, don't stress too much, as you will get a few practice rounds before the actual thing at the rta, so that u have a proper idea of that to do, there are two main scenarios,

1. press the screen to if you think you should slow down (includes corners, joggers, mums with prams, cars reversing out)

2. press the screen if you think it is safe to turn at this intersection (when there are absolutely no cars)

Basically envelope the mind of a true granny driver, never cross the intersection if there are cars and always look for shit to slow down for

good luck with it man, let us know how you go with it,

danny

To pass the test you are free to walk into the RTA and 'wing it' based on the experience you have picked up while driving on your Learner and P1 licence. As squarez said, you get a few practice questions at the beginning to help you familiarise yourself with the method of questioning. Depending on how experienced you are though, you aren't guaranteed to do well.

As long as you read through this online handbook from the RTA you will be more than prepared to pass your Hazard Perception Test:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/hptbook.pdf

If you have already "readed it" and it doesn't make sense, I strongly recommend reading it again. If it still doesn't make sense, a lot of the questions in the test won't either and you are likely to fail. Failing isn't a big deal but it will cost you $$ each time you re-sit the test. Better to put in the effort the first time and ace it.

Yeah, green P's was actually pretty good.. Oh wait yeah it was the blacks that f**ked me up, oops. Anyways, as squareznboxez said: grandma driver. Be paranoid about everything, the RTA thinks this makes you a better driver than being actually alert.

Just remember: Before you walk in, take a big deep breath, and try to stay calm. Sure the money sucks, but if you fail, it's not the end of the world :) If you do fail and you get a gist of which ones you got wrong, you can always update this post and people will try and help.

yea its not worth stressing about, P1 is the test to worry about, anything after that is no biggy....even if you did fail, you can still drive home and then you will know exactly what to do the next week - but as for the test...everyone above is correct - with the "tap the screen to slow down" part, whenever there is ANYTHING appearing on screen, whether it is on the side of the road or in the middle of the road, tap the screen to slow down. for the "tap the screen when safe to turn"....never touch the screen - out of all my mates and my own test no one ever had a turning question were it was safe to turn.

Actually now, if you touch the screen too much i.e. in one clip to brake etc it will fail you.

I failed touching the screen like 10 times in the one clip when braking from hazards. Apparently you are only suppose to touch it 3-4 times max in a clip.

Remember anyone can sit there and tap for braking constantly in a clip, so you need to think more realistly within the question on when you would actually brake.

well seeing as a moderator took predujice against me, i will repost the thread.

"How do i pass the Hazard Perception Test, someone told me you always touch the screeen to slow down and dont touch the screen to turn? Is this true?"

i dont know how passing the HPT needed to be specific seeing as it revolves around turns and slowing down?

i wouldnt sweat about it too much man...it's fairly self-explanatory.everyone i know passed it withing two attempts.

if u just press touch the screen straight up man...you'll pass.its just another way fot the government to squeeze dough

out of ya...you'll be sweet bro.

if you have a pulse and can see 2 feet in front of your face you can pass the HPT. it's not even worth worrying about. just follow the instructions and you will be fine. if you can't pass that test you shouldn't be driving anyway. it's so basic as to be almost a waste of time.

if you can't pass that test you shouldn't be driving anyway.

Exactly, it's just pre-recorded footage from a drivers view on the road. All the normal things that happen on the streets, happen in the videos. If you are unable to handle the varying obstacles and gaps that you are presented with, I doubt the real world confidence.

Good test, I passed both of them (Greens and blacks) first time. But it took me 6 attempts to get my red P's if I remember correctly - 5 times with one inspector, once with a new one. I'd rather a computer test anytime.

(Edit: Everytime I failed that test btw, was for "Observation" - By the 5th test the guy told me what he was failing me on. He wanted me to look down the streets I was driving past. I said "What, you want me to turn my head 90 degrees and look down a street that I pass at 50-60km/h?" He replies, "Yes" - New inspector for me plz)

Edited by GTRPowa

Its pretty much impossible to fail to be honest, at the end it will just say you could of done better in one of the sections but you still pass. Its a nice relief when you get them though