• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

****ing media :cuss:

theyre so ****ing stupid :cuss:

DEATH to the MEDIA :cuss:

im sick to death of their BULL****

if theyre gonna diss stuff, they should at least GET THEIR ****ING FACTS STRAIGHT

"japanese hot shot buzz boxes"

YES DICKHEAD RIGHTEO - THATS A ****ING AUSTRALIAN MANUFACTURED R31 EXECUTIVE IN THE PICTURE!!! NICE ONE!!! DICKHEADS!!!!! :cuss: :cuss:

do they mention the hundreds of commonwhores and falcons that have bad accidents every day? NO THEY ****ING DONT!!!!!!

ARGGGGGGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cuss: :cuss:

:cuss:

Guest | hype^ |

any1 though about writing a letter on behalf of sau or even car enthusiests forums to correct and at least get our point of view across??

since every one (with good reason) feels so strongly about this..

not that it would do much..

Guest | hype^ |
Originally posted by SS8_Gohan

110km/hr in 1st gear???? :confused:  

i don't have a skyline, but is that even remotely achievable?

ummm:confused:

hmmm:rolleyes:

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!:)

:lol:

prob 2nd if ya push it..

Marcus Casey is known to manipulate n sensationalise his stories a bit, I remember his name coming up a while back during the lakemba shootings... http://journalism.uts.edu.au/archive/lakem...ba/lak_ror.html

Ireckon we should contact him n tell him off :)

I'm sending a letter to media watch. Below is a rough outline of the letter. Please give your thoughts and ideas. Also correct gramma as I've been out of school for too long now... :)

I'd really like to send this as a letter from SAU rather than myself.

Dear Media Watch,

I'd just like to point out a stupid mistake by the Daily Telegraph. Page 11, 4th September 2002. Heading "Teenage license to Kill" by Marcus Casey is the best laugh I've had all week. This "journalist" goes on about the drivers's car and how lethal it is. It's apparently some "Japanese hot shot box" (first time I've ever heard that expression, probably made up by the journalist).

Well, the car, from this "journalists" point of view is a Nissan Skyline GTR. Well, in fact it is a Skyline, but it's no GTR. The car this driver died in is the old family sedan Skyline which was an Australian built car. The Skyline GTR is the Bathurst winning model. Yes, it's built in Japan. But it doesn't look like the one shown in the artical.

This driver died in a "Australian" built "family" car. Not a "Japanese" built "hi performance" car. Any car is dangerous, but it's the driver's attitude that determines what happens.

This "journalist" makes out that teenagers buy these cars like hot cakes. Funny, they all must be 18yo with 10-20 years experience. I can assure you that most teenagers can't afford such cars like this and drive in Toyota Corolla, Holden Commodores, Ford Falcons, etc..

Oh, how about the "They easily reach the state's maximum speed limit of 110km/h in second and sometimes first." I've been around cars for a longtime now and I can tell you that most cars can reach 110km/h in second gear, even your localy built Commodore/Falcon. But I've never seen a car that can reach 110km/h in first!!! To achieve that you need to look at supercars like the Mclaren F1 or the Jaguar XJ220.

As a Skyline GTR owner I'm clearly not impressed, as with other owners. Stories like this simply make insurance companies increase premiums. I doubt members of the public couldn't tell or know the difference in cars but this will give them the impression that all WRX/EVO 6/GTR owners drive around like maniacs.

Guys,

I have asked the Admins/ Moderators if SAU wants to endorse a letter. Please do not mention SAU in any letters that go out to media, without consent from the SAU comittee's - Feel free to write in and express your own personal opinions. But , lets leave the SAU board/comittees to make a decision on whether or not to write in seperately.

Thanks,

next time there is a big cruise, invite the media along and tell them there will be drag racing, burnouts and reckless driving to be had by all.

when they turn up, get them to cook the BBQ for us!

PS. the email to media watch is a good idea, but, just hope they dont take it the wrong way....... the media has strange ways to put twist's on things.

Guest ManNGolf

yeh tell those dumb poofs off........im behind you......

hope you guys realise that this is only one story where we can clearly see the BS.............so how many other BS stories are in a daily paper..

fark'n poofs.

Silver, you are probably better off writing to the Editor of The Daily Telegraph and noting your displeasure with the inaccuracies of the content of the article. In fact everyone here should do the same. Just DON'T endorse it using the SAU name. I'll talk it over with the other guys about an official response.

Virtually everytime I read an article in the paper about anything I have specific knowledge in there are gross errors. If you apply that to even half of the stories in the paper it adds up to alot of ****.

OK. I'll send in this letter in as an individual. If the SAU comittee want to respond then I think that someone else should write it up, ie. the President.

Dino, I've written to the editor of the Daily Telegraph a few times and they just seem to ignore my letters. I reckon they just don't want to admit how dumb their reporters are.

This is one subject which hits home with me. I'm sick of the sterotype image that the media places on young drivers of hi performance cars.

I sent this letter.

as a concerned car enthusiast not as part of SAU.

Dear Sir/Madam,

An article that appeared in your paper has been brought to my attention. It appeared on

Page 11, 4th September 2002, with the heading "Teenage license to Kill" by Marcus Casey. Mr Casey has made a few glaring mistakes and assumptions. Firstly the car pictured is not a Nissan Skyline GTR, it's a R31 Nissan Skyline sedan. An Australian built four door 'FAMILY CAR'. Another matter is how can a witness tell the speed a car is travelling just by looking at it? Also unless everybody is driving a formula one race car very few cars including imported sports car will reach 110km/h is 1st gear. The HOT RODS of CHOICE are true but the majority of teenagers could not afford one of the listed cars unless they have a job which earns them 40,000 plus a year. As a car enthusiast irresponsible reporting like this does a great deal of harm to car enthusiasts around the country causing insurance premiums to rise and unwarranted police attention. The majority of car clubs will expel or suspend members for breaking road rules at club events and condone illegal street racing. They instead encourage members to take there cars to race track or drag strips in organised events such as the one run by Mr Luff in the article. Unfortunately there are some people that just don't listen and will race illegally and these people are in the minority of car enthusiasts.

Troy Dougill

Let me know if it gets published or edditted.

Originally posted by 13ninety4

next time there is a big cruise, invite the media along and tell them there will be drag racing, burnouts and reckless driving to be had by all.

when they turn up, get them to cook the BBQ for us!

i like mine well done please.

I think we need to turn this into a positive guys, instead of bitching and moaning about how they're inncorrectly stereotyping import drivers with false information and innacurate reporting. We should be putting pressure on the officials to subsidise legal off the street meets, we have people dieing because they have no place to race in a safe environment without spending big dollars. And Until the government learns there's more then one way to solve a problem via fines and crack downs, more people will fall to the same fate.

I am so sick and tired of all the negativity that surrounds anyone with any sort of performance vehicle, this comes for inncorrect reporting like the article i've just wasted the last 3 minutes reading. I really think we all need to start acting and not sitting down anymore. Find a rival newspaper and send them a story, write your own and give it to them. Otherwise tell them what's going on. We need to get things going before things get worse.