SAU Community

My E85 Experience

Bond

I thought i would post up my 98 V E85 tune. I didn't realise i was making such little power in the first place....229rwkw from a GT3040 (0.63) then with E85 252rwkw.

Sorry about the quality and no idea why it is sideways

Feel free to express your thoughts. I think something is wrong as my 550cc injectors hit 94% on cold nights. Still fun to drive though :D

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

Cheers

James

Edited by Bond

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The increased Duty on your injectors is because of the E85's need for more per unit of air... roughly 30%.

Its good to see how it has more grunt everywhere. How does it drive?

Yeah i was expecting the increased duty cycle but not above 90% Does anyone think it's running too rich?

Besides bad cold start (not a daily driver) it drives really well and is more responsive than before. Now having traction issues but i don't have the best tyres. First and second gear feel very similar but the torque in third and forth feels insane. Pulls hard all the way off the clock.

Edited by Bond

Alittle offtopic, but roughly how much power can 700cc injectors running E85 support?

Good question as ive got 720cc injectors, would e85 also clean the injectors and valves due to the alcohol content?

where in the Gold Coast area can you buy e85, how much is it?

Edited by boostn32

Good question as ive got 720cc injectors, would e85 also clean the injectors and valves due to the alcohol content?

where in the Gold Coast area can you buy e85, how much is it?

Yes, the whole engine and fuel system will probably be spotless, my exhaust was pretty clean too. :D Make sure you change the fuel filter soon after as it may get clogged.

Most places seem to sell it for around $1L, not sure what Caltex plans to sting us yet.

another hijack...

i'm pretty sure my 700cc injectors run at 85% with 320kw at the wheels..does that sound right? are there more people that have tested e85 with 700cc injectors? hopefully i can get away with the injectors i've got.

will i get away with the 280l/ph (from memory) upgraded in-tank pump if i run e85? i'm guessing i'll be headed to around 350kw at the wheels.

Yeah that was about as much boost as I could run with 98 (I think). The previous owner said he was making around 260rwkw on 98 so I'm not sure what the problem is. The only thing I have changed is a quieter muffler. Might drop the exhaust next time and see what happens.

IMO the power has pretty much come from the additional boost, not the fuel at all, as Jez has already noted.

Something is not right with that setup, you should be making 250rwkw on PULP at least & around 280-300 on E85 (if not more).

Injectors under that much duty also is worrying.

Two things are pointing to setup issues.

No one's mentioned the .63 rear on the turbo?

Could that be the reason it's peaking at 5300rpm and not getting the results wanted?

as for injectors funning out on that power, that's got me worried, as I'm soon to be on e85 running 550's :)

Where does a GT3040 fit in size wise compared to a GT3071, GT3076 or GT3082? Is it smaller as the name suggests?

I remember reading a performance place (think it was ERD) recommending a 0.63 housing on a GT3082 on an RB25. But if a GT3040 is smaller than a GT3071 then a 0.63 housing is definitely too small.

I dont understand how joey gets so much power out of his injectors. I would expect 550s to peak out around 260-290rwkw on E85.

Yes I believe something is wrong but not really sure where to start. As I said earlier all I have really changed is the rear muffler (removed cannon and put an xforce twin pipe thing). With my current setup I probably couldn't get any more power to the ground but would like to figure out what's wrong.

GT3040 is the old description (larger comp wheel), or what everyone else calls a GT3082 these days.

So its the larger of the GT30XX family compared to a 3071

Well if thats the case, 0.63 housing should still make a lot more than what he is.

I mean hiflowed standard turbos make more than that.

Interesting the power falls over at about 5,500rpm. Also the dyno only goes up to ~6,200rpm?? Something seems wrong, unless the rpm on the dynosheet is not correct.

Edited by Harey