SAU Community

Neil's R33 Gts-t Build

Neil

I thought it was about time I cleaned up the interior, it will need some paint to cover all the marks and scratches so out with everything and started looking at what should actually go back in. No tarmac rallies ever for me now so out with the aluminum floor mats, the centre console the glove box the clock the aerial switch the dash vents and the light reduce switch and like everything this presents more work. First job was to fix the kill switch cable as it went through the console, so I made this so the height was correct. I couldn't get the locking screw off the cable so I cut it with the dremel, so then I had to make a little chain thingy to join it all back together, what a pain in the arse. Here's what I did.

I also wanted to get rid of the oil catch cans under the bonnet and bought this one years ago which is 4.5 litres so I mounted it in the boot and I will run copper pipe to it.

20220718_160729[2235].jpg

20220718_160724[2237].jpg

20220718_160718[2240].jpg

20220121_151731[1839].jpg

Rattle cans are a crappy option, over-spray goes everywhere, thought I would get 500ml mixed up and use my airbrush, then I found the paint originally used for the interior and it's still good. Now that's a win.

One thing I'll never understand is why I got Duncan to install the auxiliary fuse box to the inner firewall, you can't get at the bloody thing, so with no console I moved it today. I actually stepped it off the tunnel so as to not absorb any heat through the tunnel. Job done.

On a totally different note, I have been helping Dean run his car at State Hillclimb's he's on full Motec and uses Mark to do telemetry,tuning and suspension setups. This guy has 25 years working for Motec and has done a heap with V8 stupidcars. If you think you know your shit think again, I learnt so so much, apparently my springs are to soft, great for tarmac rally but not for anything else, I will be changing to heavier ones soon.

20220721_144128[2268].jpg

20220721_144118[2270].jpg

20220721_150901[2274].jpg

20220710_092335[2276].jpg

20220710_092352_001[2278].jpg

• Like 1

Pretty sure the fuse box was on the firewall because it looked like a nice, clean space to put it. With the dash, console etc out it is easy to forget how hard some areas of the car are to access. I reckon putting stuff where you can reach it with the interior in is a much better idea....I need to move that 1 fuse still in my car (that runs the PDM) somewhere easier to access to, now is the right time with everything out.

• 2 weeks later...

Feel free to take the dash out too Neil, ill come past and collect the Dash and Console from you :P

actually, pretty sure my console might be down the back. Wish I bought a dash before Covid/USA tax hit :(

when you did your sound deadener removal, how much dry ice did you end up going through?

im assuming the moment i get mine all removed, I'll need to paint the inside?

im expecting paint will come off when the dry ice does its job :(

On 01/08/2022 at 8:55 PM, MBS206 said:

Feel free to take the dash out too Neil, ill come past and collect the Dash and Console from you :P

actually, pretty sure my console might be down the back. Wish I bought a dash before Covid/USA tax hit :(

The dash is actually out, but unfortunately for you it's going back in. The console is up for sale, feel free to make me an offer.

when you did your sound deadener removal, how much dry ice did you end up going through?

You lazy bastard, it would have to be be in the 1st 10 pages, but from memory we used 20 kilo's of pellets and had bugger all left.

im assuming the moment i get mine all removed, I'll need to paint the inside?

That's up to you mate, if you want it to look like a toilet then leave it, but if you don't  paint it I will dis-own you. If I had my time over I wouldn't have got mine painted in factory gloss white, shows up every scratch and always looks dirty. Duncan's matt black looked great to start with, but now looks very ordinary.  Paint it grey, someone will sell a generic one off the shelf, which will be cheaper and easy to buy more later without having to get it mixed.

im expecting paint will come off when the dry ice does its job :(

I lost no paint whatsoever, it just looked like crap because you end up with factory undercoat where the deadener was.

• Thanks 1

On 23/07/2022 at 9:18 AM, Duncan said:

Pretty sure the fuse box was on the firewall because it looked like a nice, clean space to put it. With the dash, console etc out it is easy to forget how hard some areas of the car are to access. I reckon putting stuff where you can reach it with the interior in is a much better idea....I need to move that 1 fuse still in my car (that runs the PDM) somewhere easier to access to, now is the right time with everything out.

Yea buddy it sure was, nice flat surface, but the only real way to access it was to take the passenger seat out. Why not buy one of those Panel Mount Fuse Holders, actually we both should run a few of them in a panel, would make our lives easier.

We had reason to go into town the other day, so while the boss women toddles off to lyncraft, I went to the juckyard. I just love the junkyard. So while I'm strolling around I find a pile of tables that apparently came out of the hospital, the guy wants 15 bucks each and tells me when he was pulling them out he sat on one to eat his lunch, now this guy is the size of Fatz, no bigger and well they must be strong hey. So I bought one.

Now I personally hate the GTR spoiler on my GTS-T and I could never notice any real difference through it's total adjustment. So I'm going to swap the Radicals spoiler between cars. It's 1560mm wide and the Skylines is 1680mm at the back of the wheel archs which taper in, so I end up 30mm to 60mm approx shorter either side.This will work a treat, the Radical spoiler is the real deal, with 4 adjustments on the lower plane and 6 on the upper and full carbon fibre with internal bracing through out. So you can see what I'm going to do.1381385569_20220121_1507581837.thumb.jpg.beff84a8c88d4061332ab74310a8eebb.jpg

20170219_165649[2306].jpg

20170219_165636[2308].jpg

huntley5.jpg

• Like 1

Re the fuses, when I moved to a PDM I removed all except 2 fuses from the car - the only 2 remaining are one for the Rallysafe so it has direct electrical connection to the battery, and the other is the power supply to turn on the PDM itself.

I did what you said, made a little cf panel with 2 panel mount fuse holders. I also added a simple battery voltage check where a momentary switch provides 12v to a voltage display to help any trouble shooting.

Then I went and repeated that dumb mistake and mounted it well under the dash where I can't access it (which was a pain when the Rallysafe fuse popped one day. I'll be moving it to an accessible location somewhere, maybe where they ashtray was (since I can't find one for a reasonable price)

20220804_115835.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Update time, I've actually finished installing the Radicals rear spoiler on to the Skyline, what a fun job on your own getting it exactly in the middle and correct front to back. At full adjusted height it's 15mm below the roof and 10mm in from the rear of the car, happy as a pig in shit and suck on that Mr Scrutineer. I had to make reinforcements both top and bottom, so the boot lid skin doesn't flex, unfortunately the carbon boot lid is a no no. While I was at it, I had the spoiler mounts and both sway bars powder coated blue, the same as the wheels., cost me $110 to get all 4 done, great price as they did a great job. I even re-installed the boot lid trim just so you can't see my handy work. Melinda thinks I should buy one of those low mount spoilers, so it hides all the rubber grommets covering the factory holes, the jury's out.

20221205_183532[10414].jpg

20221205_183540[10412].jpg

20221205_183603[10410].jpg

20221205_183614[10408].jpg

20221201_180430[10398].jpg

20221201_180659[10399].jpg

20221201_180708[10400].jpg

• Like 4

On 05/12/2022 at 8:19 PM, soviet_merlin said:

Holy mother of downforce! Looking forward to seeing some action shots of the car with it fitted.

Yea that should give me the appropriate down force in the rear, Now I have to think about what to do about the front. I have canards but I'm thinking I'll need more than them and maybe even making bigger side fences for them.

20221205_222449[10418].jpg

I actually had to go reading how canards work to create downforce. Interesting, as it's different to how I pictured.

Would the regs allow you to setup some "trim" around / under the car, in the same way Dean does on the big under body section of his open wheeler?

I'm meaning the sacrificial bits of rubber that actually touch the ground as a skirt, or are you not allowed to as a tin top / are you planning to run something outside of Hill Climbs for Cheryl?

3 hours ago, MBS206 said:

I actually had to go reading how canards work to create downforce. Interesting, as it's different to how I pictured.

Would the regs allow you to setup some "trim" around / under the car, in the same way Dean does on the big under body section of his open wheeler?

I'm meaning the sacrificial bits of rubber that actually touch the ground as a skirt, or are you not allowed to as a tin top / are you planning to run something outside of Hill Climbs for Cheryl?

Yea Canards don't really do that much, actually they only really help with understeer, I took them off the Radical and gained about 1/4 a second around Wakie, wow I could have done that with a Tyre pressure adjustment.

I would like to keep the car in 2A open/closed sports car over 2 litre if I can and after saying that I am only allowed a front diffuser that finishes at the front axle. Cheryl is just a fun car now, I'll just run her in local stuff and use her as a driver training car.

Yes, I could run the plastic trims down the sides, but they will only work with a full flat floor which would have to have a massive rear diffuser to make it all work and that puts me in sports sedans or time attack. I don't have a problem with that but there is so much stuff hanging down under a Skyline that it almost makes it un-realistic.

Just as a side note Dean Tighe's open wheeler does not like aero changes, what you looked at is how it stays, tried different height gurney flaps, adjusted front and rear spoilers and all they did was either slow the car down or make it loose. Malcolm Oastler's car loved aero changes, work that one out. I know I'm comparing a tin top to an open wheeler but where else do you learn this stuff. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Bogan said:

Just need some plywood, tek screws and a turn buckle or 3 for the win

images.jpeg-59.thumb.jpg.bcc86dc61f72c81f598f7e65831d4c0a.jpg

That would have to be one of the ugliest race cars I have ever seen. Granted it a missile but that's just filthy disgusting. Tuck ya bits in Girla..

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, The Bogan said:

So would this still be non compliant??

images.jpeg-60.thumb.jpg.83e945f8cffac4ce90d2336718ca77ea.jpg

Trying to match the aero at the front with that big bessie at the rear may be tricky???

I like that, basically nothing is allowed wider than the bodywork and no I'm not fitting flares mainly because that would mean buying 2 new sets of wheels. I like my 2 sets of weds.  I should add though the rear spoiler's pics are at maximum attack angle, it has 3 more lower main spoiler adjustments and the upper spoiler has 5 lower ones as well.

• Like 1

On 14/12/2022 at 8:54 PM, Duncan said:

I've been meaning to post here all week, basically I just wanted to say HOW f**kING AWESOME IT IS TO SEE CHERYL GETTING SOME LOVE AT LAST.

See you and her at a track soon mate.

PS f**k Zoe. For all her swoopy curves, she is no Nissan.

Seriously did you actually think Cheryl would never get any love again, she is the only real reason I bought a Hoist, it's Her's.

Might have to drag you 2 up here when both cars are up and running properly.

Zoe is very pissed off with you, she pointed out that you own a dirty filthy Toyota. Zoe's a lovely lady with pure class.