SAU Community

Aussie Delivered R32 Gtr's

You just wouldn't want it would you? Ok ok, Maybe at $20k?

Really high kays, resprayed very poorly, and what looks like a mid 90's Nissan Pulsar seat material retrim (also on the doors!?). A car with very dubious history I would think...... I'd rather a wart on my dick.

Car might of had a re-spray to black..?

The seat trim, looks kinda funny, not a thing I would do to a ADM GTR.

Usually ADM GTR engine bays look neat / clean.

This one has some kinda 'tacky' look and looks like is hasn't been cleaned for quiet some time.

But if it runs fine, then there's no issues.

The 2nd ones paint code is KG1...which is silver if I'm not mistaken.

Would explain the silver engine bay

KG1 is silver paint code.

that silver gtr resprayed black makes u wonder why it was resprayed, accident damage or something else to hide? hmmm (i could be wrong though)

Car might of had a re-spray to black..?

The seat trim, looks kinda funny, not a thing I would do to a ADM GTR.

Usually ADM GTR engine bays look neat / clean.

This one has some kinda 'tacky' look and looks like is hasn't been cleaned for quiet some time.

But if it runs fine, then there's no issues.

What are your guys thoughts on modifying Aus spec gtr's ( SENSIBLY which are done in a way that it can be returned to stock form ) and how much of an impact do you think it has on re-sale value? Also with the original motor do you guys think its a sin to rebuild them with HKS and JUN forged internals or do you think once it has to be rebuilt its not original anymore so it doesnt matter??

Bolt on mods won't hurt it at all, its when u start drilling holes etc for speakers, body kits and when it can't be returned back to stock easily. Rebuilding the bottom end should add value as it provides longevity of the vehicle

Cheers for your input Marko unfortunately when i bought mine the original motor was in pieces and the worst thing I hate the most is either the 1st or 2nd owner decided to put bonnet pins on which i cant really change easily so I've just left them for now Arrrrrr!!! But anyhow a very very low km totally stock 1994 r32 gtr cut was sourced and this motor has been put in whilst I've been taken my time over the years to build the original motor with HKS and JUN internals and no expenses spared all machine work has been done and just waiting on some gaskets to finish assembling but there's all this hype about Ozzie gtr's being ruined and worth nothing an I dont want to do that to mine.. I had the same feeling as you that if it is done professionally and clean and can be returned to stock easily and no holes cut drilled or wiring hacked up things should be ok but as for original motor I figured it needs to be rebuild so it's not going to be original internally so may aswell make it strong and reliable and last aslong as possible.. But wasn't sure if this is something that people would frown upon or not..

The paint work and body is starting to show its age and could really do with a respray to make it look 100% perfect but mechanically it is A1.. It does not have the original motor in it at the moment as i have been rebuilding it but it will be sold with the car regardless! All work has been and is always done by X-speed.. Hanson, Ant and Richard know the car very very well and it's had a extremely long service history with them! they have done a absolutely outstanding job and are the only people i lrt touch the car.. Ive always been very happy and highly recommend them.. My close friend a doctor who was the third owner is good friends with Hanson so always got everything done at X-speed and i am the fourth owner and have also follwed suit between the two of us we have got reciepts for everything and i can say the amount of money thats been poured into maintaining and modifying this GTR is incredible as most of you with GTR's would already know between myself and my friend we have almost the whole cars history as he knew the 1st two owners also doctors before he bought it. And has owned for almost 10 years before I bought it.. Ive owned for i think roughly 2 years and have hardly driven it! The car was originally bought from Barbegellos then 1st owner sold it back to them and second owner bought it from barbegellos obviously and so on there's alot of original books/paper work, receipts, stock and spare parts, performance parts and most importantly History on this car.. Unfortunately the only reason I'm letting her go is because I'm leaving W.A. And will not becoming back to live here :-(

Hi Guys,

As I've mention in previous posts, I was very active in the Australian Muscle Car scene from 2002-2007. I was the co-founder of the Australian Muscle Car Club of NSW and worked with various organisations in watching the market explode and prices going through the roof before bursting in 2007/08.

The one bit of advice I will give and people can deal with it as they like is this..... The biggest factor that enhances the value of a collector car is ORIGINALITY. No ifs buts or maybes.

I just sold my 1994 BMW M3 in Dakar Yellow to a collector via The Classic Throttle Shop in North Sydney. They sold it for $28,000. If I would have listed it on CarPoint or Carsales for that type of money I would never have got a call on it. They sold it in 6 days. The car was 100% original with very substantial documentation and a winner of last years BMW Show of Excellence. When you combine rarity, condition, originality and providence you have a sure fire recipe for success in securing a good sale. The Falcon GTHO Phase 3's that sold during the boom for $500,000.00+ were all excellent cars ticking all the appropriate boxes.

Please remember this .......... The person who will pay big dollars for a collector car will know very little about what he is buying. They simply seek guidance from a respected and legitimate authority validating the originality of the car. Performance is NOT what motivates collectors. Ferrari's that sell for millions of dollars would be blown off by $15,000 WRX's in a straight line or race tracks.

On a scale of 1-10 I knew about a 3 when I bought my car exactly 12 months ago. I learned a lot over this time so I'd like to think I'm around an 8 now.

Enthusiasts like those who post here won't pay big dollars for a car that is fundamentally the same as a JDM car but 3 times the price. Of all the marques that will suffer from this issue, the Skylines will be worst hit because of the demographic of the people buying these cars. They are a young person's car. I'm 49 years old and on many occasions I've been asked if my car is actually my son's car!

The collector who is 50+ (sort of like me) remembers these cars dominate the ATCC in their heyday and respect their achievements. They are not interested in buying A $20K JDM that has very little history the same way a 25 year old is not interested in paying $60K plus for an ADM in years to come. Two totally different markets.

I've had this debate many many times over the last 10 years and its particularity difficult to have in this environment because the modding of Skylines is so extensive.

At the end of the day, it's your car and you can do with it as you like but if your primary objective is to maximise the value of your car then keep it as original as you can.

Cheers..........Bob.

A good example of an adm which will hold its worth is the black gtr at crd with JUN plates on it, that has over 1300hp. Another very good example is keir wilsons silver gtr with RH9 plates.

Both above examples are extreme performers where they have pushed the envelope, highly modified and tastefully done.

You need to remember that these cars are now 20yrs old and I personally would prefer a built engine as we all know the cost behind building a forged engine and I also think the gtr comes alive when it is tweaked, just the way they were born into this world - to be built and raced similar to the ATCC series Winfield and GIO gtr.

Regarding the bonnet pins, its no big deal because it is a replaceable panel, however, if you hacked the rear 1/4 panels for example, u cannot just bolt off and replace this panel - that was my point.

Bob - I also agree with you 100%, I think if you can demonstrate that the gtr can be returned back to stock it is irrelevant. It really depends on the enthusiast as my brother in law has an xb gt and he was telling how anal some of these guys are, for example, the bracket that holds the spare tyre is silver welded (factory flaw as it cracks) and if this has been repaired in anyway with welding or rivetting - the car is looked upon as 'not original'...that to me is plain silly. Imagine that spare tyre becomes loose and the wheel hits the inner guard taking a corner? The damage far exceeds repairing a bracket.

I work around the corner the throttle shop and I remember seeing your M3, I'm surprised you got more selling it thru a shop than privately. I guess its advertising it in the right exposure.

Bob - what was the key driver behind the rise and fall of the AMC's in 07/08?

I agree with you Marko on tasteful bolt on mods. I personally love putting on period mod parts depending on the era of the car.

But as stuff on the GTR wears out I replace it with bolt on aftermarket stuff i.e suspension, brakes, injectors, ecu turbos etc. Maybe a collector would not like this attitude, but me personally I love period correct mods.

Like Marko I am not a fan of things that can't be undone such cut outs in doors, dash etc.

What are your guys thoughts on modifying Aus spec gtr's ( SENSIBLY which are done in a way that it can be returned to stock form ) and how much of an impact do you think it has on re-sale value?

Light bolt on mods would be fine, I think.

Preferably Nismo parts to keep it 'legit' in a sense.

Nismo wheels

nengun-1518-00-raysengineering-nismo_-_lm_gt4.jpg

Nismo Weldina NE-1 Exhaust

Stune7.jpg

Nismo Coilovers

264900_10150244606736806_651746805_7696947_2269272_n.jpg

Nismo Body Kit

0-0-dsc_6125.jpg

I agree with you all and appreciate everyones opinions its a very tricky thing with rare limited number collector cars and unfortunately alot of them have been played around with or blown up etc etc before people who appreciate them for what they truely are get a chance to own them... Unfortunately i didnt have the luxury of having a completely un-modified perfect original condition ADM.. I certainly wouldnt do anything that could not be reversed all parts on the car have been replaced with Quality jap name brands not cheap chinese rubbish and no short cuts have been taken like bodgy cooler piping and holes cut and wiring hacked up etc... I feel ive advertised my ADM somewheree close to the ball park considering it is not standard and the condition of body and the fact i do need to sell her in the next month and a half but again what do you guys think is it to much to ask?? Thanks again for all the constructive opinions much appreciated guys Sime

Hi Guys,

As I've mention in previous posts, I was very active in the Australian Muscle Car scene from 2002-2007. I was the co-founder of the Australian Muscle Car Club of NSW and worked with various organisations in watching the market explode and prices going through the roof before bursting in 2007/08.

The one bit of advice I will give and people can deal with it as they like is this..... The biggest factor that enhances the value of a collector car is ORIGINALITY. No ifs buts or maybes.

I just sold my 1994 BMW M3 in Dakar Yellow to a collector via The Classic Throttle Shop in North Sydney. They sold it for $28,000. If I would have listed it on CarPoint or Carsales for that type of money I would never have got a call on it. They sold it in 6 days. The car was 100% original with very substantial documentation and a winner of last years BMW Show of Excellence. When you combine rarity, condition, originality and providence you have a sure fire recipe for success in securing a good sale. The Falcon GTHO Phase 3's that sold during the boom for $500,000.00+ were all excellent cars ticking all the appropriate boxes.

Please remember this .......... The person who will pay big dollars for a collector car will know very little about what he is buying. They simply seek guidance from a respected and legitimate authority validating the originality of the car. Performance is NOT what motivates collectors. Ferrari's that sell for millions of dollars would be blown off by $15,000 WRX's in a straight line or race tracks.

On a scale of 1-10 I knew about a 3 when I bought my car exactly 12 months ago. I learned a lot over this time so I'd like to think I'm around an 8 now.

Enthusiasts like those who post here won't pay big dollars for a car that is fundamentally the same as a JDM car but 3 times the price. Of all the marques that will suffer from this issue, the Skylines will be worst hit because of the demographic of the people buying these cars. They are a young person's car. I'm 49 years old and on many occasions I've been asked if my car is actually my son's car!

The collector who is 50+ (sort of like me) remembers these cars dominate the ATCC in their heyday and respect their achievements. They are not interested in buying A $20K JDM that has very little history the same way a 25 year old is not interested in paying $60K plus for an ADM in years to come. Two totally different markets.

I've had this debate many many times over the last 10 years and its particularity difficult to have in this environment because the modding of Skylines is so extensive.

At the end of the day, it's your car and you can do with it as you like but if your primary objective is to maximise the value of your car then keep it as original as you can.

Cheers..........Bob.

One of the best posts I've seen on the topic of collectability(spelling)

A good example of an adm which will hold its worth is the black gtr at crd with JUN plates on it, that has over 1300hp. Another very good example is keir wilsons silver gtr with RH9 plates.

Both above examples are extreme performers where they have pushed the envelope, highly modified and tastefully done.

You need to remember that these cars are now 20yrs old and I personally would prefer a built engine as we all know the cost behind building a forged engine and I also think the gtr comes alive when it is tweaked, just the way they were born into this world - to be built and raced similar to the ATCC series Winfield and GIO gtr.

Regarding the bonnet pins, its no big deal because it is a replaceable panel, however, if you hacked the rear 1/4 panels for example, u cannot just bolt off and replace this panel - that was my point.

Bob - I also agree with you 100%, I think if you can demonstrate that the gtr can be returned back to stock it is irrelevant. It really depends on the enthusiast as my brother in law has an xb gt and he was telling how anal some of these guys are, for example, the bracket that holds the spare tyre is silver welded (factory flaw as it cracks) and if this has been repaired in anyway with welding or rivetting - the car is looked upon as 'not original'...that to me is plain silly. Imagine that spare tyre becomes loose and the wheel hits the inner guard taking a corner? The damage far exceeds repairing a bracket.

I work around the corner the throttle shop and I remember seeing your M3, I'm surprised you got more selling it thru a shop than privately. I guess its advertising it in the right exposure.

Bob - what was the key driver behind the rise and fall of the AMC's in 07/08?

The Classic Throttle Shop has a huge collector following. Most collectors like to remain anonymous and only choose to deal with people they have dealt with before and want the security of knowing the car that they are buying is legitimate with some comeback if the deal goes pear shaped. I simply didn't want to go through the heartache of dealing with morons when trying to sell that type of car. If the car was any other colour than yellow it would have been worth $5K less so I needed to target it to that cliental base.

Collectors want turn key cars, they don't want to have to do anything. If you want to modify your car that's fine but convert it back to stock BEFORE you try to sell it if that's the market you are aiming at. If you want to sell it to an enthusiast for whom performance is the be all and end all then that's fine but that guy isn't going to pay the big bucks.

Three things fuelled the Australian Muscle Car scene 10 years ago.........

Firstly Mark Oastler launched a dedicated Magazine called The Australian Muscle Car Magazine in 2002. 1st issues were bringing over $200 in 2004.

Within 6 months of the release of this magazine, my mate and I registered the Australian Muscle Car Club of NSW which brought together enthusiasts of the 3 major brands, Holden Ford and Chrysler. One needs to remember that these guys hated each other when it came to cars. We were told that we were crazy and it would never work. Well ..... after 12 months we had over 200 members and the club was booming. It actually became very difficult to co-ordinate as the numbers participating at events was huge. The third factor was the internet. A lot of people were going online and joining up. To be able to communicate with so many people in such an easy way was phenomenal. The major Car Clubs hated us as they felt threatened with what we were able to achieve in such a short time. Our objective was never to "pinch" members but to enhance the hobby. Falcon GT guys loved going on cruises with Torana XU-1's and A9X's etc etc. Every time a Shannons auction came on a new record was being posted. I can tell you some stories of a consortium of Greek guys that basically bought EVERY GTHO Phase 3 that came up for auction. There were 8 of them and they owned 13 cars between them. So…. If they paid $100,000 over the odds on a car it didn't matter because it automatically increased the value of the 13 they already had.

It was a simply scam that was always going to burst. Sure enough when the Labour government won in 2007 many of us thought it was the right time to bail.

I could rewrite War and Peace being in the thick of things back then but it's probably best left to chat about over a beer one day.

One last thing on the anal lengths some of these guys went to was to duplicate paint run in the boot!

Cheers,

Bob.

To validate what I'm talking about above, I've been keeping a close eye on an Ebay auction for an original uncut Ferrari key for my 328 GTS.

It took me 2 years to get one and I paid about $200 for it. Bare in mind that you can use a $15 generic blank.

I thought it would be nice to have an extra spare if I could get it for less money than I paid 2 years ago.

I think not.........

http://www.ebay.com....984.m1423.l2649

Bob.