SAU Community

Garrett Medium Frame Gtx Turbos

SimonR32

lol the left side of the map is surge, the right side is when its running too hot.

That plot shows that if you are running 20psi, as long as its not hitting 20psi before 3000rpm and if you dont rev it over 8000rpm you will pretty much be making the most of the turbo.

Chances are that turbo wont be on 20psi by 3000 when using the right size exhaust housing, so its good!

They are not available from an australian distributor yet as garrett australia dont recieve them till January 2011 as far as my knowledge goes.

They are available from US dealers (ATP turbo and realstreetperformance are just 2 that we have found so far)

From this garrett link they keep using the figure 10%:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarre...bochargers.html

So I would say roughly 10% more than what they do now.

old 3076 is rated to 525hp atm, used to be 550hp from memory. new gtx3076 is rated at 640hp which is a 22% increase. seams a little optimistic to me using the same turbine housings but time will tell.

old gt3582 is rated to 600hp, new gtx3582 is rated to 750, 25% more.

They are not available from an australian distributor yet as garrett australia dont recieve them till January 2011 as far as my knowledge goes.

They are available from US dealers (ATP turbo and realstreetperformance are just 2 that we have found so far)

Nothing to stop you ordering one from em now ;)

Especially with the dollar in good form

Nothing to stop you ordering one from em now :down:

Especially with the dollar in good form

Sure isnt! Ordering one a GTX3076 for my friends SR next week but ill be waiting till they are here in aus/wa when i buy my gtx35r ;)

old 3076 is rated to 525hp atm, used to be 550hp from memory. new gtx3076 is rated at 640hp which is a 22% increase. seams a little optimistic to me using the same turbine housings but time will tell.

Wow so considering i was planning on getting a 3076 and was gonna hit 20psi with 300kw's, so just a guess, but do u think the GTX3076 will be able to hit 350kw's by 20 psi?? Unopened RB25 Neo with supporting mods..

Wow so considering i was planning on getting a 3076 and was gonna hit 20psi with 300kw's, so just a guess, but do u think the GTX3076 will be able to hit 350kw's by 20 psi?? Unopened RB25 Neo with supporting mods..

I'm also interested in knowing how GTX3076 performs on an unopened DET neo, but I'd 350kw by 20 psi is impossible without cams on ULP.

350rwkw is ~ 470whp, how much flywheel hp is it? Let's say 530fwhp. To make this power using PULP you have to force around 55lb/min of air down the engine's throat. 20 psi is 2.43 pressure ratio, plot this poing on the compressor map. I'd say compressor efficiency is still pretty good at ~70% at this point.

At 101% volumetric efficiency you will need ~7400 rpm to achieve this flow, at 95% VE it becomes 7800-7900 region, at 90% VE it's going to be 8300rpm.

So either make sure your VE is adequate at this point (cams, etc), or increase boost or rev engine harder. Or use different fuel, like E85.

And I guess for the new 76mm compressor with all that additional flow, .63 turbine housing will really struggle to flow enough exhaust gasses and will create some serious backpressure in the upper rev range. Looks like at least .82 A/R is an imperative from now on for GTX3076

Edited by Legionnaire

What would be the recommended configuration to get if i wanted to get an internal gate gtx3071, should i go 63, 82, or 1.06, and what dump pipe? Wanting maximum response and 250-275kw :(

If you go internal gate, as a minimum get the garrett IW .82 housing. Preferably see if GCG can supply you with a HKS IW .87

Do NOT go .63, the number of issues to name is annoying. Wont hold boost, problems with heat, choke your motor at any decent boost level bla bla bla.

Better yet would be external gate, but everyone has their price.

GL

Wow they are huge increases!

It's going to be interesting to see how these things match up to "typical" installs using the old-spec GT series turbos.

With the increased compressor flow comes the need for increased turbine flow and maybe a touch less low end response. I'm left thinking the bigger 1.06 housings will become more of a common selection depending on engine and turbo combination.

Just taking time to digest it all.