SAU Community

Nsw Race And Rally Registration

carlo

Hi Gang,

Cant find any recent threads on this topic so I wanted to see if anyone here has any ideas on NSW race and Rally rego.

The RTA website doesn't make any mention on race cars (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/conditional_registration.html) and CAMS website isnt helping me much. Basically in a few Google searches I am seeing that the RTA changed the rules mid this year and people seem to think you cant do it anymore.

Does anyone have any information on how I could register a unregistered (non-import, expired rego) car with race and rally rego?

There is a big thread on it in the NSW members section, basically you need to be entering dirt rally stuff because Targa etc is run under AASA so CAMS isnt interested in race/rally rego unless they are dirt cars.

Hi n00b.

My car is still under the old rally rego, but that scheme was shut to new cars because every dodgy f**ker imported cars then registered cars under it without compliance.

The current scheme will only allow cars which are compete in dirt rally events, and you can be sure that the CAMS rally guys will not allow it to be extended to cover any other car in case they lose access to it again. I am talking with CAMS state manager to represent the tarmac rally/club racer with an import group arguing we should be allowed back on the scheme....but expect it to be a long process.

In other words....no chance in the near future.

BTW, the conditions on my rego are:

Used to get to or from CAMS events (ie not AASA)

Used to get to or from mechanic for mechanical work

Used to get to or from practice.

I use 2 and 3 a lot. I call AASA events practice for CAMS events. Phone call required to the CAMS rally rego number every day it is used, about $4 each day in phone charges. Rego is under $100 including greenslip. No pink slip, just owner certification of roadworthiness

• 10 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If you know the right people it's not overly hard for race & rally rego. There's a few EVO's with it in NSW.

Might be better off on the NSW CVS scheme which your local lovely club *coughs* us can now offer. As long as you can pass a blue slip she should be good to go.

The current system is more painful than the previous one but still possible, I've got it on my GTR but these days you need an annual inspection by one of very few inspectors.

Historical/Club rego is a much better choice if you qualify

• Like 1

On 02/11/2021 at 7:06 PM, Duncan said:

The current system is more painful than the previous one but still possible, I've got it on my GTR but these days you need an annual inspection by one of very few inspectors.

Historical/Club rego is a much better choice if you qualify

*coughs* SAU NSW CSV rego 😄