SAU Community

Do New Cars Need Turbo Timers.

no..unless your turbo is getting really hot, even old cars dont need them but some people think they are cool like BOVs.

If you do however get some work done to it maybe consider it but i wouldnt worry mate, im sure if it needed one nissan would have fitted it..

turbo timers are pointless... the only reason i have one is it came with the car and i like the fact that i can put my windows u after i have taken the key out as i ALWAYS forget lol

lol, same here. best feature about em :)

and occasionally after a long hot drive i'll let it go for a bit

turbo timers are pointless... the only reason i have one is it came with the car and i like the fact that i can put my windows u after i have taken the key out as i ALWAYS forget lol

+1

lucky i dont have a sunroof

add to that its a diesel so its not like it spends long enough at high boost to get too hot anyway, unless you thrash the bejeezus out of it

actually a diesel will probably spend more time on boost than a petrol car.

but to answer the original question, if cars actually NEEDED turbo timers they would be fitted with them standard. as someone said earlier, just take it easier for the last minute or 2 of driving. this will cool the turbo more than sitting there idling for a minute or 2 as there is more air flowing throught the radiator, etc.

nah, i have a bt-50 diesel now, doesnt come on to boost till well after 2000rpm (maybe 2400ish) and it drives quite nicely off boost cause of the diesel torque, when it does come onto boost you only have about 1000rpm till power drops off so reving it any further is pointless really. You can keep reving it but it doesnt make anymore power after about 3200-3500 rpm.

and move the car a little if its not quite in the garage haha good feature

and move the car a little if its not quite in the garage haha good feature

ive been using my turbo timer on 30secs for a few months now since a mechanic recommended it, drive a 150kms but non engine modded skyline r33...really a waste of time?

might only turn it on now when i have been driving hard and suddenly arrive home..

unless your doing burnouts in your driveway and instantly turning the key off its not really needed. but if you already have one installed 10-20 seconds idling after a thrash cant hurt. just dont set it to 5mins like some people....

anyone ever showed you why these are a bad idea with a manual car??

also 2009 will have a minor heart attack if its not shut down correctly. those are electronic diesels and inthe case of teh earlier patrols a timer would quite often LOCK OUT the reserve fuel tank.

anyone ever showed you why these are a bad idea with a manual car??

also 2009 will have a minor heart attack if its not shut down correctly. those are electronic diesels and inthe case of teh earlier patrols a timer would quite often LOCK OUT the reserve fuel tank.

just as bad in an auto as in a manual. possibly even worse. if you don't have park engaged properly and forget to put the handbrake on and then you slam the door the thud can drop it into reverse

but to answer the original question, if cars actually NEEDED turbo timers they would be fitted with them standard. as someone said earlier, just take it easier for the last minute or 2 of driving. this will cool the turbo more than sitting there idling for a minute or 2 as there is more air flowing throught the radiator, etc.

What about if you had to drive your pregnant wife to the hospital as she was about to give birth prematurely?

Would you slow down for the last 2 mins or sit there outside - idling - whilst she was in obvious distress - "I'm just cooling my turbo down love...I don't need a turbo timer you see?"

;)

nah, i have a bt-50 diesel now, doesnt come on to boost till 2000rpm and it drives quite nicely off boost cause of the diesel torque, when it does come onto boost you only have about 1000rpm till power drops off so reving it any further is pointless really. You can keep reving it but it doesnt make anymore power after about 3200 rpm.

FMP...

What about if you had to drive your pregnant wife to the hospital as she was about to give birth prematurely?

Would you slow down for the last 2 mins or sit there outside - idling - whilst she was in obvious distress - "I'm just cooling my turbo down love...I don't need a turbo timer you see?"

;)

surely in rare cases like that, if your wife was giving birth im sure you could leave the car running outside the front door for an extra minute or so...

i hate turbo timers with a passion, had to many instances when working on cars after i fix something, then i start the car and hear noises i dont like and want the thing off, immeadiately! then there are those ones that are part of alarm systems etc, they decide whether or not your car needs to be run for a little longer, but i've found them all to be useless and very unpredictable, they may stay on after cruising for 2 mins down to the shops, or you can give it a good caining for an hour and it will turn straight off.

i also believe they are just unnecesary. its often said that turbo timers are to let the thing cool, but i can only imagine they would be of any use if you were just thrashing it and the turbo was spinning at high speed, if you shut it off the turbo would be spinning hard with no oil pressure, but i dont believe there would be any benefit to 'cooling' a turbo this way.. (happy to be proven wrong on this one) and i dont care how much of a c*nt you are behind the wheel, i highly doubt anyone here would actually get their car up on boost when pulling into their driveway...

Bah i wrote a rant and cant be assed having it up here lol.

if you want get one. no its not really needed if you are not gonna kill the car hard everywhere.

But to slam them as being a wank factor value is wrong...

And dude they have a OFF button! Its not hard, and with that lazy ass attitude I'd hate to take my car near a garage like that!

Edited by Kabe