SAU Community

Do New Cars Need Turbo Timers.

I love my turbo Timer, but I'm probably not using it for it's intended application.

The shop is about 200m down the road from work, so I knock off work, jump in the car, go to the shop, put the turbo timer on 5 min, run in, get my groceries, then my car is nice and warm for the drive home so I can boot it right out of the car park and up the hill to overtake all the tourists in their campervans.

And when I get home in the dark I'll turn the car off with the turbo timer set to off then I'll turn the key to on, then set the turbo timer on to 1min so the lights stay on while I dash up the stairs. My lights turn off when the car is off.

Also I like to freak people out in the summer, as there is a lot of tree huggers where I work, I'll get to work at the same time as them and then I'll leave the timer on 5 mins and they will be like "arn't you going to turn your car off?" and I'll reply "I like to keep it on all day with the AC on full to protect the interior from the heat and make it nice and cool when I get back" that really pisses them off. thumbsup.gif

That said, if my car didn't come with one, I probably wouldn't have bought one.

Edited by zoidbergmerc

also my car is a manual with remote start (dont ask) so the turbo timer also ensures that i wont be chasing my car through my neighbors fence ;)

haha had that issue in a mates car, coz i put it in gear when i kill it, then he tries to remote start it and hilarity ensues, particularly the first time when he didnt know how to kill it with the remote (and it keeps trying to start if it doesnt get it the first time too haha)

and move the car a little if its not quite in the garage haha good feature

as soon as you took the hand brake off my old car shut off. and even if you kept the hand brake on a little bit to try to beat the system it shut off after moving a meter or so.

What about if you had to drive your pregnant wife to the hospital as she was about to give birth prematurely?

Would you slow down for the last 2 mins or sit there outside - idling - whilst she was in obvious distress - "I'm just cooling my turbo down love...I don't need a turbo timer you see?"

;)

um, sorry, but if you're worrying about the health of your turbo while your wife is about to give birth then there is something wrong with you. :P

How about just turn the car off and go?? Seriously, turning it off while the turbo is hot just once will not harm it. Look after it when you can, of course, but if you have an emergency situation arise where you need to stop the car and exit suddenly, the turbo needn't become a factor for you to think about. it'll be fine, really.

The shop is about 200m down the road from work, so I knock off work, jump in the car, go to the shop, put the turbo timer on 5 min, run in, get my groceries, then my car is nice and warm for the drive home so I can boot it right out of the car park

your car wont be warmed up properly from idling and the gearbox and brakes will still be propper cold

excess idling isn't great for the engine either and is even listed in the nissan manual as a condition that will require more frequent oil changes

plus, you don't take your skyline with your pregnant wife in it, what if you get pregnant mess all through your interior. no good. Take her car and thrash the tits off it, will be just as quick through town anyway.

What about if you had to drive your pregnant wife to the hospital as she was about to give birth prematurely?

Would you slow down for the last 2 mins or sit there outside - idling - whilst she was in obvious distress - "I'm just cooling my turbo down love...I don't need a turbo timer you see?"

;)

turbo timer or not you'd simply pull up, turn the car off and go. doing it once isn't going to hurt the car. for all anyone knows, the owner of their skyline back in japan may have done it every single time they drove it.

also my car is a manual with remote start (dont ask) so the turbo timer also ensures that i wont be chasing my car through my neighbors fence ;)

you could always wire it up to both the handbrake and the neutral switch (ecu gets a signal from the gearbox telling it whether it's in gear or neutral to alter the mapping in the ecu). that way if it is in gear then the car won't even attempt to start.

your car wont be warmed up properly from idling and the gearbox and brakes will still be propper cold

excess idling isn't great for the engine either and is even listed in the nissan manual as a condition that will require more frequent oil changes

yeah excess idling isn't the best thing for a car. this is actually a reason against letting your car sit there and idle to warm up agasint driving slowly for the first little while. the car takes longer to warm up when idling than it does when driving.