SAU Community

Skyline Heart In Datsun Shell - Project 260Z

Hey All,

I have my belovd R33 GTR V-Spec, but this is the project I've been recently working on.

Not sure if this post is in the right spot/category.....if it isnt, please cana moderator move it for me....

I've had my 76 260Z for 20 years, and has been through 3 distinct phases & rebuilds. The first two were rather half hearted, and I was never satisfied for one reason or another. The car then sat in the shed on blocks for about 10 years due to lack of motivation and cash. This current build has taken about 3 years off and on.

Out with all the stockie stuff which I was trying to hang on to to keep a degree of originality...but I figuree that once you cross that path, you may as well go the whole hog.

I bought an R33 GT-T Doner car that someone had wrecked.....hopeing that the engine & box were ok !!!.....That was thye basis for my project - They were to be transplanted into the Z Car.

Along with the Engine & Gearbox, Huge brakes were fitted to the front, including 6 pot Wilwoods & 12.2in vented disks. Rear drum brakes were also thrown over he shoulder for a similar Willwood 4 piston Disk setup, and I made up a custom handbrake to go with it. Fully adjustable coilovers Front & Rear were fitted, including Camber plates. The coilovers are teh type where you can adjust spring tension and height separately - one doesnt have to affect the other.

Initially had a Greddy manifold to go on, but the angle of the Throttle Body meantthat there was no room for the intercooler pipework. So Rob at RIPS Racing in NZ made me up a custom manifold...came up a treat. I worked with PWR to get the design & fitment of the Radiator & intercooler right - They also supplied me with n oil cooler.

The standard Tailshaft had to be modified obviously, so I got Veem to build me up a monster.....Standard half-shaft are also gone in favor of 300ZX CV joints. Diff is an R200 3.9 LSD

Also fitted to the suspension are custom Billet everything !

Currently, with the 100% bog standard engine, its got 270HP at the wheels....a good start point, and as w ll know..the sky is the limit, but for now, Im happy with that untill other stuff is sorted.

Engine is controlled by a Haltech ECU. Exhaust is a custom 3inch Stainless item...

The pics attached are as it is today - Work still to be done includes....painting of engine bay, Big Wheels (18inch Simmons), Sound System and some other minor stuff....

Id appreciate any comments & suggestions you have....

Cheers

Woza01

post-26803-0-07764600-1295488447_thumb.jpg

post-26803-0-78297100-1295488458_thumb.jpg

post-26803-0-32116800-1295488474_thumb.jpg

post-26803-0-79095700-1295488494_thumb.jpg

post-26803-0-83887800-1295488793_thumb.jpg

post-26803-0-13401200-1295488809_thumb.jpg

post-26803-0-63986700-1295488827_thumb.jpg

post-26803-0-85726600-1295488840_thumb.jpg

only one word can describe the effort and end result. its PHAT. Very well done indeed. Im looking at doing a 260 myself, only i have an LS-2 sitting in the shed, was looking at a 260+LS-2+Charger. I gotta ask, the suspension, zomg, where, why, how much?!

only one word can describe the effort and end result. its PHAT. Very well done indeed. Im looking at doing a 260 myself, only i have an LS-2 sitting in the shed, was looking at a 260+LS-2+Charger. I gotta ask, the suspension, zomg, where, why, how much?!

Noice !....be wary....a mate applied to put an LS1 into his 240z and was knocked back...so do your reasarch. It varies state to state. I know a guy in Sydney whos doing an LS1 conversion in his Z, but hes also turning it into a Ferrari 250GTO replica....

Brakes & Suspension....visit www.arizonazcar.com you will have an organism !

Thanks for the comments :-)

I remember walking into your shed to buy some parts off you, turning around and seeing this up on stands... It honestly blew me away!! To see it all done is fantastic, awesome work mate. I also would love a 240 or 260 one day, but it'll have to wait for now.