SAU Community

Timing Light Do I Need One

luvpsi

hey guys im going to change my timing belt on my rb25det. i have been told to get a timing light however if i line all the marks up correctly i shouldnt need to use a timing light. a few people have told me to use one and a few of the mechanics at my work have told me not to worry. just wondering what everyone elses opinion is.

Yeah mate Put a light on it my cas just died I replaced it and I put the new one in the same place and my timing is all screwed I have flat spots all thru the revs till after 5g and then my car violently jerks back and forth backfires and is a right pig to drive

same thing. same spot. no ignitor.

replacing the CAS with another one you Definitely have to check the timing. if your doing the 100 tho service, and using the old one again, then mark it beforehand and put it back as you found it is an OK way of doing it...but I'd still suggest checking it with a timing light again at the end anyways.

if you need to buy one (i did, my old one was too old school) then make sure you get one that clips over wires......not under a spark plug lead.

simple, clip the clip over the white wire. positive and a negative on the alligator clips and your away!!

Edited by boiracer

same thing. same spot. no ignitor.

replacing the CAS with another one you Definitely have to check the timing. if your doing the 100 tho service, and using the old one again, then mark it beforehand and put it back as you found it is an OK way of doing it...but I'd still suggest checking it with a timing light again at the end anyways.

if you need to buy one (i did, my old one was too old school) then make sure you get one that clips over wires......not under a spark plug lead.

simple, clip the clip over the white wire. positive and a negative on the alligator clips and your away!!

that sounds easy as

so once i have the (good) timing gun, attach to white leads, and read the timing degree on the gun? that how it goes?

It's been a while but off the top of my head you need to mark the TDC point on the harmonic ballancer should be a little mark on the pulley then behind the pulley should be the timing marks you need to point the gun at the marks and as the car idles you should see your TDC point line up with a certain degree of timing it should be around 15 degree before TDC if that makes sense tho it has been a while I could be off a lil

Car needs to be put into base idle mode when checking the timing, either doing it through CONSULT software (ecutalk etc).. I'm not sure if unplugging the TPS or unplugging some other related thing will put it into base idle mode as well.

Getting the timing light to work with the loop wire is not always easy.

For a surefire way of doing it. Get a spark plug lead (old or new) remove number one coilpack and put the lead over the spark plug. Slip a bolt into the end of the coilpack and put the other end of the spark plug lead over the bolt. Now your skyline is oldschool with leads and sh!t ;)

Clip your timing light over that and you'll be sweet. I say this cause we could not get the loop wire to work on my car and had to do this

Getting the timing light to work with the loop wire is not always easy.

For a surefire way of doing it. Get a spark plug lead (old or new) remove number one coilpack and put the lead over the spark plug. Slip a bolt into the end of the coilpack and put the other end of the spark plug lead over the bolt. Now your skyline is oldschool with leads and sh!t ;)

Clip your timing light over that and you'll be sweet. I say this cause we could not get the loop wire to work on my car and had to do this

spot on.

also, some cheap timing lights read double when using the loop at the rear of the motor. nfi why but they do....i had a supercheap one that was sending me crazy reading 40o when it was really at 20o