SAU Community

New Garrett Gtx2860R / 2863R / 2867R

Gav

I think he had to jet off interstate so there might be a bit of a delay.

I'm sure it's also not going to be an overnight process haha

Fair enough!

These not having skyline comp covers is really throwing a spanner in the works :(

Fair enough!

These not having skyline comp covers is really throwing a spanner in the works :(

At what point will the standard 2 inch piping become a 'restriction'. Given that the GTX's have a 3 inch inlet, will this be 'free power'?

No doubt, but we all waffle on about exhaust sizes being not being enough. At some point the 2 inch has got to become a tad restrictive/not being as efficient, when that point is who knows. Either way the twin 3 inch intake pipes couldn't/wouldn't hurt anything.

...except those trying to keep standard airboxes here and in Vic to get as little attention as possible.

From looking at the stock airbox it wouldnt be impossible to get 3" pipes to fit it with a bit of effort and some tools to cut the sucker up

Why is everyone worried about the front covers? Why not just call GCG and say how much for GTXxxxx machined into -9/5/10 front covers? Its all the same....

Its realistically no different, a GT2860R and GT2860RS (the silvia specific ones) are the same turbo but different compressor covers. The RS has a T04S front like these GTX ones do, the R has the nissan specific .60 cover.

You dont need to get a 3rd set of hands into the mix, the CHRA will bolt up to the housing. It only needs to be profiled to suit the bigger wheel.

The fact the T04S cover can be ported to suit and the fact a 71mm wheel can fit in the said housing tells me it is definitely possible. The only thing is the T04S housing is likely to yield better results, thats what sets a 28R and a Disco appart, and as all ex silvia owners know the Disco is the favoured option over the 28R.

28R despite being the same CHRA is more like a 'T28' than it is a Disco, that would be attributed to the front housing (comparing to a .64 based disco).

NO CAN DO ACTUALLY.

Just spoke to GCG, they said they tried to whack the 'full blade FMW' into customers existing turbos rather than supplying CHRA with comp cover and got negative results.

The GCG tech said you need to run the specific 'GTX' surge ported cover. He said without the hi/lo blade design the new compressor NEEDS the specifically done surge slot for the GTX to have any effect.

So there you have it, must use the supplied T04S cover... By the sounds of what he said the specs of the surge slot were parramount to its performance.

Not something I would trust them to try replicate into the Nissan specific housing unfortunately :(

I should also note (so not to sound like a blow ass) GCG don't have GTX28 in stock nor have they tested them. The above comments/opinions were formed on GTX30 range compressors.

Not that the design implications wouldnt carry over to the same design on a smaller wheel, 'but ugh ye'..

Last night I dreamt up the idea of getting a FP compressor retro'd into my 28RS, and then called it a brain fart considering the GTX range that will simply slot in and I can resell the RS. Thus the phone calls today to consider validity of swapping compressors.

Yea that sucks so the only way to fit them up is to hack up your inlet piping?

Looks that way Deano. Considering how close the rear comp housing is to the rear dump, I cant see you getting a true 3 inch pipee to the housing without 'massaging it'

tomei-rb26dett-engine.jpg

This picture shows it quite well.

Ye it looks like even if u did get a 3 inch pipe down there, you would end up with alot of prob's with the dump melting the silicone joiner and heating up the clamps.....

Why is everyone worried about the front covers? Why not just call GCG and say how much for GTXxxxx machined into -9/5/10 front covers? Its all the same....

Its realistically no different, a GT2860R and GT2860RS (the silvia specific ones) are the same turbo but different compressor covers. The RS has a T04S front like these GTX ones do, the R has the nissan specific .60 cover.

No class they are not the same in SR20 guise . What Garrett call a GT2860R , like std SR ones , doesn't use the same turbine as a GT2860RS or the larger 0.86 AR turbine housing JKav its creator intended . Their compressor trim is smaller (60 vs 62T)as is the exducer tip height . GT2860RSs originally came fitted with a T04B 0.60 AR compressor housing and the Nissan style comp housing is really just a re packaged one with flanges rather than hose barbs . The DP turbo was intended to be a torque producing unit with low exhaust restriction which is why it had the big turbine and compressor housings for the size of its wheels . Its only really "big" for a GT2860R but thats enough for good road car performance or maybe racier use on 16 and 1800cc engines .

You might find that these GTX series turbos have the same issues dualled on an RB26 as GT2871Rs do and for the same reasons . It takes more turbine shaft power to drive a higher capacity compressor mainly because of the mass of the extra air they are attempting to pump .

I've been more interested in Mitsubishi turbos of late so not kept up with dryers in thr Garrett world . I think I remember reading that Garrett were intending to do a 60mm compressor version of the GT2860R and this would possibly be an easier thing to plonk on an RB26 . The possibly bit will probably hinge around GTX compressor wheels and port shrouded compressor housings - as in trying to get these larger PS housings snouts to fit where Nissan didn't have them . Really the only compact port shrouded comp housings I know of are the ones HKS had made for the RB20/25 spec GTRS , but they won't work even if you could get them because they are profiled for a 52T 71mm GT compressor - and the surge slot set for that wheel .

I think you are basically stuck with something between 26 spec GTSSs and GT2860Rs (HKS "GT2530s are GT2860Rs)and if thats not enough contemplate small or at the most medium trim GT2871Rs . Same turbine housing and wheel size as these GTXs look like getting but with a comp wheel and housing that is known to fit . Some of you would remember how I used to suggest people hiflow their std RB20/25 turbos with a 48T GT2871R cartridge , theres not a lot stopping you doing this with GTR spec Garrett BB turbos provided they use RB26 style comptessor housings - the internally T04B sized ones . Not in reach of my lists atm but I think DP turbos were on paper good for ~ 35-36 pounds of air and the 48T GT2871R cold side ~ 38 39 pounds of air .

Now strictly speaking its your calls and your money but I'd be wary of using a GT28 based turbo x2 that was getting healthy on the compressor side because you only have half the exhaust flow of your RB2568 driving each turbine so if the turbo is a tad lazy its very likely to show up as lag . A single turbo app like an SR20/RB20/RB25 has ALL the engines exhause gass flowing through it so its not as likely to feel laggy driving the big capacity compressor . Prime example , GTRSs work well on RB25s but by 2 can be a bit lazy on an RB26 . Really twin turbos are in a world of their own which is why often their spec is so different to a single if both twin and single units are sized properly in each case . OE RB26 turbos don't look small because Nissan likes exhaust driven CPU fans , they look small because they are and thats what works when theres two of them in an OE app .

GTX compressor wheels will have their uses but theres bound to be situations where the existing GT spec wheels can do the similar things and maybe at times with less complications . Something is telling me that big G is doing some customer financed R&D in the aftermarket whilst tooling up to mass produce machined compressor wheels . There has not really been anyting radically new in the GT wheel world since the early 90s but others are doing billet wheels and I guess anything "billet" these days has a bit of bling attached to it . IMO they really want to be working on their turbines and turbine housings but its harder for their marketing departments to convince us that new shit hot non shiny things are the ones to buy rub you stinger on and fit to your car . HKS got around tis by fitting their purdy plate and charging a premium price .

Nite all .

Edited by discopotato03

Can anyone find somewhere to get the comp housings for the 2530 cores?

Closest I can find is this;

http://gcg.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=580&category_id=37&flypage=flypage.tpl&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

If the GTX5's don't work out then looks like 2530's are the last option for getting right up there towards the 500kw atw mark on low mounts. Or perhaps a 3037 core machined into bolt on housings if that's feasible. I will NEVER have GTRS's again, what a terrible turbo they are in hindsight.

No class they are not the same in SR20 guise . What Garrett call a GT2860R , like std SR ones , doesn't use the same turbine as a GT2860RS or the larger 0.86 AR turbine housing JKav its creator intended . Their compressor trim is smaller (60 vs 62T)as is the exducer tip height . GT2860RSs originally came fitted with a T04B 0.60 AR compressor housing and the Nissan style comp housing is really just a re packaged one with flanges rather than hose barbs .

Sorry I should have been more specific, the garrett site doesnt have the item listed anymore yet there was an SR specific variant of the disco that most of the silvia guys refer to as the '28R'.

Same 446179-66 chra with .60 nissan front and .64 rear. GCG sell it as a disco with S15 cover, garrett had an actual part number for it but its since been removed.

Can anyone find somewhere to get the comp housings for the 2530 cores?

Closest I can find is this;

http://gcg.com.au/in...emart&Itemid=53

If the GTX5's don't work out then looks like 2530's are the last option for getting right up there towards the 500kw atw mark on low mounts. Or perhaps a 3037 core machined into bolt on housings if that's feasible. I will NEVER have GTRS's again, what a terrible turbo they are in hindsight.

You wont get much better without a bigger A/R turbine housing; getting a bigger compressor wheel is not the issue it is the small exhaust side that causes problems especially if you want 500kW... using twin low mount internal wastegate turbochargers is the wrong way to make that power.