SAU Community

New Garrett Gtx2860R / 2863R / 2867R

Gav

+ the turbine housing so easy another 500+

"most" of the guys that would use them would have the rears off a -5, 2530, RS or -10.

The big cost is the intake piping.

The guy I was spekaing to wanted to come and have a look at my engine bay when the engine and turbo's are in. He may have an idea.

"most" of the guys that would use them would have the rears off a -5, 2530, RS or -10.

The big cost is the intake piping.

The guy I was spekaing to wanted to come and have a look at my engine bay when the engine and turbo's are in. He may have an idea.

Does this mean you are making the switch to these turbos now piggaz ?

Does this mean you are making the switch to these turbos now piggaz ?

Nah. I'm keeping the little 5's. It made 426 at 22 psi top end. 450 was only a intake cam twist away. That will do. I'm not too keen on the whole custom piping. OEM airbox FTW!

• 3 weeks later...

i was interested in the GTX2860 on my car too. What are your specs you got the 2863 right? i have a stock engine, but i will be putting tomei 260 cams in. I am not looking at making more than 550whp as i have my RB26 in a old Datsun 240z, I think anymore than 550whp would be a death wish for sure. Do you think it would be worth it vs the GT2860-5? I would think i would use the smallest ones i could, i wish they had a compressor map but i dont know how to use them anyway. I am also considering the borg warner efr with internal gate for a small or midside single turbo, but i do like the curve of the twins. What do you think?

^^^

On a WELL setup car you will get close your 550 rwhp with the normal 5's. If you go that way you won't have the added complexity and expense of the custom intake piping. Will it be on e85?

Pump gas. I do all my own fab work so it might cost me 100 bux for the argon and the piping. Although i do value my time these days... I was curious abou the -5 and the surge. i dunno what i'm gonna do. I was trying to hold of for the EFR borg warner turbo but its always 3 months out and i kind of light the curve of twins. Traction is an issue, but i can control traction and boost via aem ems V2 so not too concerned.

Edited by ZT-R

What do you mean by setup correctly? I'm in the States so we have 93 as pump. My current setup is

7098542553_e5ca860f1a_b.jpg

7098552649_023ae2d94e_b.jpg

1972 240z with RB26 engine.

Engine and Drivetrain:

97 RB26DETT

99 R34 GTST RWD Transmission

Carbonetic Twin Disk Clutch and Flywheel

AEM Series 2 EMS

AEM XWIFI

AEM Boost Solenoid

AEM 3.5 Bar Map Sensor

Tomei Oil Pump Modified for External Pickup

Tomei Cam gears

ATI Crank Pulley

Greddy Timing Belt

Nismo Low Temp Theromostat

McKinney Motorsports Oil Pan Modified for External Pickup

Greddy Underdrive Pulleys

Huge 4" Bar and Plate Intercooler

HKS SSBOV

Jun Style Intake Manifold Modified for S30 Chassis

Wilson 80mm Throttle Body

Jacking Racing Throttle Body Rotor

Lokhar Throttle Cable

Godspeed Fuel rail (I know)

Infiniti J30 Ignitor

(3) Walburo 255HP Fuel Pumps

Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator

Custom Surge Tank Housing Twin Walburo 255HP Fuel Pumps

Modified Fuel Tank with Sump and Internal Baffles

8AN Fuel Lines

Aeromotive Fuel Filter (Secondary)

Earls Fuel Filters (Primary)

Gizzmo Thermal Intake Gasket

R230 VLSD Differential

Custom Mozer Axles

Greddy Oil Cooler Sandwich

GT Cooling Mod

PRC Radiator with Built-In Oil Cooler

Spal 16" HD Fan

Custom Intake with K&N Filter

Custom Oil Catch Can

Custom Overflow Can

Optima Red Battery

Dual 2.5" to Single 3" Dowpipe

Custom 3" 304 Stainless Exhaust

Vibrant Ultra Quiet 3" Resonator

Megan 3" Turbo Muffler (I know)

Countless Earls Fittings and Hoses

Hmmm. What I think the Zeeeb is saying is that your air intake is drawing air from behind the hottest part of your radiator...

You could go a long way to improve your setup by just moving the air intake. Perhaps to behind the left headlight. Or even box the filter in close to the left guard and duct air from behind the headlight to the filter. You might have to move the radiator overflow to where the filter is, but there will be room.

You can only "get away' with that kind of intake setup if you happen to live in an area that has typically <10 degree C ambient temps, because your thermostat will barely be opening and as a result your radiator core temps (and exhaust air) will be much lower.

Designing an optimal setup in conversions is always a challange because the cars were never designed for that kind of setup.

Belive me I tried. There is no room for anything in this bay. If I stay with the twins i am going to make a duct for the filter. I kinda planned on going small to midsized single turbo from the start. This setup is just to get the bugs worked out before I make the horsepower jump. After seeing a lot of dyno graphs on singles I'm not so sure i want that kind of power curve. Most seem like they are off and on. Granted with the EMS i can do all kinda of traction and boost control so I just just say screw it and do it anyway.

Edited by ZT-R