SAU Community

New Garrett Gtx2860R / 2863R / 2867R

Gav

I'd be welding a short extension to the comp cover to get the joiner away from the dp, easily done given your using ally for the piping and will cost next to nothing as part of the bigger piping job.

Ceramic coat the manifolds, rear housing and dumps gav, it's worth it!

With my T04Z you could hold your hand right about the exhaust housing after thrashing, if you did that without the coating you would start smelling pork cooking :whistling:

They must have lifted there game, they coated a manifold for me years ago and the coating started flaking after a few dyno runs.

They must have lifted there game, they coated a manifold for me years ago and the coating started flaking after a few dyno runs.

Really? That sucks, I got my GTR stuff double black coated and didn't have any issues and that nigga got hot haha :thumbsup:

I'd be welding a short extension to the comp cover to get the joiner away from the dp, easily done given your using ally for the piping and will cost next to nothing as part of the bigger piping job.

Agreed. I melted 3 silicon hoses over 12 months in my GTS-R manifold/GT30 and there was more distance that in the pics.

Really needed to weld an elbow/extension just to clear a bit.

Yeah I would weld some ally pipe to the turbo. Id cut the whole snout off and weld a bend straight on for better clearance.

I JUST made a twin cooler piping setup / 3 inch intakes for my 32 GTR and the rear was a nightmare. I struggled to fit a 2.5" bend off the front on the rear turbo and then the 2.5-3" cone, then another small 3" bend. The actuator arm gets really close too. Youre in for a treat :) if youre not paying someone.

I might post a pic of my rear intake pipe later.

• 3 weeks later...

The delay is my fault. Turbs all bolted up, but I'm waiting to get the car to a specific fabricator who will do the quality of work on the pipework that I want.

med_gallery_705_63_430119.jpg

Note the shortened PS pump and the fact that I retained the HKS actuators as the bew ones fouled the oil lines.

Hopefully not too long a wait now.

• 3 weeks later...

OK - all bolted back up now and tuned.

First things first - the new induction and compressor pipework.

med_gallery_705_63_376087.jpg

Very happy with the work and is much lighter than the cast HKS pipework I had before. I also replaced the Blitz "flywire" units with some K&S filters that I'm sure do a better job of filtering.

Now - onto the dyno. Started off with the BP98 tune:

med_gallery_705_63_30415.jpg

There was a fair bit of setting up initially as I changed the Apexi MAP sensors out to Greddy units (3 bar absolute) and ID2000 injectors. Once the preliminaries were out of the way it was clear that these turbos are a different beast. As we approached the limit of the boost of the -5 units, these really started coming into their own. The difference between the 20 to 23 psi (final tune) was significant with a LOT more power being made. Higher boost just started inducing too much knocking. We did make around an additional 40 rwhp, however, topping out at 581.

Now - the E85 is where it really starts to get interesting. Unfortunately I don't have an overlay of before and after, but previously we managed 620 rwhp at around 23 psi.

med_gallery_705_63_288515.jpg

The new GTX units on E85 allowed more boost and netted a respectable 670 rwhp (or as near dammit an even 500 rwhp).

med_gallery_705_63_150875.jpg

Again what was evident is that these terbs REALLY like boost. I'm sure that these could flow north of 700 rwhp on a stroked RB30 with the right head work.

AWSOME effort Gav.

500 RWKW! GT-RS who, what, where? :nyaanyaa:

One thing you have not mentioned is comp surge. Does it have any? Please say no!

What compression ratio is your 2.8?

:worship: :worship:

Wow Gav. Just wow. Fkn massive result.

So can I just check please the final result on E85, that's at 23psi?

Did you try higher than 23psi on E85?

Any graphs in rpm instead of kmh please?

You've got to be happy with that result-must be just mental under boost in any gear haha

And the biggest one......do you have shuffle back again now?

Edit; I think you mean 500rwkw in the second last paragraph :)

wow!

can i just confirm that these are effectively the new range of -5s?? or is it something completely different?

also, dont mean to disrespect at all... but doesnt the larger size of these turbs make their whole use mute? cant exactly look stock with that fabrication (which looks awesome by the way!!)

Same rear (housing and wheel) as normal -5's, 2530's, 2540's, GT RS's and -10's.

The comp housing has a 3 inch inlet instead of a 2 inch and a 'revised' front wheel.

It's such a shame they are not direct bolt on. :(

I wonder where the 'limit' of these little housings are?!?!

Imagine it with another 7 PSI!

You wont get much better without a bigger A/R turbine housing; getting a bigger compressor wheel is not the issue it is the small exhaust side that causes problems especially if you want 500kW... using twin low mount internal wastegate turbochargers is the wrong way to make that power.

Is it still ? :nyaanyaa:

Congratulations mate what a monster. 500hp by 120kph I'm only at 300 at 120kph. 2.8 goodness there.. Only way iv ever make 500 at those rpm was holding the wastegates shut and ran 32psi yours is making all that power at low boost great work.. Do you have any plans of running it at the strip?