SAU Community

High Beams

ianjb

Went to get my R33 GTST rego inspection done, the dude points out that when the headlights are on, the outer lights shine.

But, when the high beams are turned on the outer lights turn off, and the inner lights turn on.

Said that it's illegal, he let it go though. But, said that i need to get it looked at when i get the car tuned next.

Is it standard for the lights to work this way or has someone been playing with the car before i owned it?

On high beam yes, both low beam + high beam are supposed to come on together = complete set.

No!

In skylines it's normal for the low beam to turn off when the high beam is flicked on,. But if it is still a concern you can modify the wiring to make them stay on

Yes!

Perfectly normal behaviour, not just in skylines but in pretty much every car. Generally the 2 lights (low and high) are not designed to work together.

As Duncan mentions, it is normal operation for any vehicle.

Depending on how good your eye sight is, on cars that run a double filament globe instead of two separate bulbs, you can even see that the filaments change which one is emitting light.

On dual globed cars it's super easy.

As Duncan mentions, it is normal operation for any vehicle.

Depending on how good your eye sight is, on cars that run a double filament globe instead of two separate bulbs, you can even see that the filaments change which one is emitting light.

On dual globed cars it's super easy.

as an extension to this, car like falcadores, switch the outer filament, and the inner globes also come on, giving 4 hi beam globes at the same time.

cars without the dual filament globe generally just switch.

On high beam yes, both low beam + high beam are supposed to come on together = complete set.

Ian, you've asked how mine work (in your subtitle).

In every 3x R34 GT-Rs I've had,...

* all four lights come on when the stalk is switched from low beam to high beam.

* upon flashing high beam, the low beams stay off & the high beams come on (probably to save the Xenons).

In my former R33 GT-R (series 1 without Xenons), I cannot recall.

Ian, you've asked how mine work (in your subtitle).

In every 3x R34 GT-Rs I've had,...

* all four lights come on when the stalk is switched from low beam to high beam.

* upon flashing high beam, the low beams stay off & the high beams come on (probably to save the Xenons).

In my former R33 GT-R (series 1 without Xenons), I cannot recall.

Yeah this is basically right; on our R34s, when you have the dipped (low) beam headlights on, if you then switch to high beam OR flash the high beams the low beam will stay on. In our case they're xenons.

If you have either just the parking lights or no lights on at all, then flash your high beams, the low beams ALSO come on. AFAIK this is a factory setting for R34s. I don't reckon it's a great idea though as xenons (HIDs) don't like to be turned off and on quickly as it'll burn them out faster.

On our R33s, the low beam would turn off when switching from low beam to high beam. Never had a problem with rego though. I think your 'shop is just being picky but at least he let you go with it.

In most of our other cars the low beam stays on when you switch to high beam; and only the high beam comes on if you flash the headlights with no other headlights on.