Nissan To Take On The V8 Supercars!

HYBR3D

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

doesn't matter whether nissan have a V8 car in australia. it only has to be a 4 door car. it will then be cut and shut to make the dimensions the same as the ford and holden and then have the same motor, gearbox, suspension, etc put in. it's not like holden or ford have cars with 5L pushrod engines in them (ford has a 5L engine in the falcon but it's more advanced than the v8 supercar engine)

and should ford or holden be worried? hell no. not unless vodafone/888 racing start racing in a nissan. unlike 20 years ago, the nissan will just be a generic race car with a nissan body made to fit it.

Nor do they produce a lame pushrod V8 to use in whatever car races.rolleyes.gif

Are they going to have to build a dumbed down, pushrod engine like Toyota had to when they started competing in NASCAR/Truck racing, or will they have to use an existing smaller capacity engine, with a stupidly low rev limit or intake restrictors?

That will ensure "Parity"whistling.gif

doesn't matter whether nissan have a V8 car in australia. it only has to be a 4 door car. it will then be cut and shut to make the dimensions the same as the ford and holden and then have the same motor, gearbox, suspension, etc put in. it's not like holden or ford have cars with 5L pushrod engines in them (ford has a 5L engine in the falcon but it's more advanced than the v8 supercar engine)

and should ford or holden be worried? hell no. not unless vodafone/888 racing start racing in a nissan. unlike 20 years ago, the nissan will just be a generic race car with a nissan body made to fit it.

yeah your so right there!! its all the driver + team these days in v8 supercars, it would be awesome to see it going back to the old Australia touring car day's, we just enter the 35gtr or even the new duke with gtr gear and dominate!! hahaha

it will be good too see i think! here is to hoping it happens

Nor do they produce a lame pushrod V8 to use in whatever car races.rolleyes.gif

Are they going to have to build a dumbed down, pushrod engine like Toyota had to when they started competing in NASCAR/Truck racing, or will they have to use an existing smaller capacity engine, with a stupidly low rev limit or intake restrictors?

That will ensure "Parity"whistling.gif

they haven't released info on the COTF engine yet, so it's hard to say, but my guess is that they COTF engine won't be a pushrod (or nissan will run a chev or something like that in it). if they go the restrictor route then i'm sure they will get parity right this time. they won't want an outcome like last time...

yeah your so right there!! its all the driver + team these days in v8 supercars, it would be awesome to see it going back to the old Australia touring car day's, we just enter the 35gtr or even the new duke with gtr gear and dominate!! hahaha

it will be good too see i think! here is to hoping it happens

no actually that would be exceptionally boring, just like in the early 90's. racing where 1 car wins all the time is crap. having said that, ford could just enter the GT40 and holden would become chev and they would enter the corvette and then you would have porsche and lambo and ferrari entering as well.... oh wait, that sounds familar. that's just the Australian GT championship.

I'm thinking they are just going to take the V8 out of Supercar and just call it Supercar, maybe it will be a GTR? soon find out.

no they are more likely going to go to a DOHC engine, like used in the DTM

I'd love to see some DTM action out here; too bad we don't really have the money, or the audiences to support these amazing cars.

I don't really like the idea of "silhouette" racing; which is what I'm assuming the COTF will be. Why put a badge on it at all if they're all going to be the same under the skin.rolleyes.gif

Maybe, but what's Nissan get out of this? They need to sell cars.

The article states "Nissan were last in the (series) in 1992" and that was with a six cylinder GTR, it would make much more sence rating wise to put in a competitively tuned six cylinder GTR rather than something nobody knows, besides it wouldn't be in the correct production car format.

Fingers crossed.

They should try for the VK engine that they use in Japan's Super GT series. I think they have a 4.5L and a 5.5L V8 race engine for different cars, all producing in excess of 500HP or more.

Normally I don't have much to say but I think this much about nothing. Same as a Toyota Camry in the Nascar series.......... If they were to let Nissan enter their best effort in race trim there would be an outcry from the loyalist Aussie fans. Still think the best thing they could do is go back to bracketed production car racing. See it race on Sunday and buy one on Monday (less the race only goodies).

.... If they were to let Nissan enter their best effort in race trim there would be an outcry from the loyalist Aussie fans.

People need to take their blinkers off! :) Do you really think the cars being entered by Ford and Holden are their best efforts? For the rules of the class they are.

But given a clean sheet to enter "their best efforts" nobody would be able to afford to go racing!

Just like in the Grp A days they all put in their best efforts in line with the rules. Any rules that allow a twin turbo car that makes more power, more torque and allowed to run 4wd with bigger tyres then rwd V8s and 2L turbos is a flawed class. There was a reason they were made to run weight penalties as the rules were way off what they needed to be to have a field of competitive cars. If I saw that the rules allowed me to run something like a GT3 Exige in the Grp A class, the result would have been the same as what the GTR achieved until the rule makers caught up with the inequality in the rules

Nissan saw the hole in the regs and built the sharpest tool in the shed. Hats off to them.

So I love how the great news of Nissan returning to domestic racing is met with negativity saying that they will be held back. Look at Europe, if we had it so wrong why have they started a series much the same as ours with the V8 Superstars?

And people that complain about the quality of the V8 Supercars racing need to actually watch a GT500/GT300 race. They are boring as bat shit with cars very rarely actually racing. As a motorsport fan still great to watch due to the variety of cars, but its hardly good , close racing.

Last time I was paying attention the COTF regs meant it had to be a 4 dr, rwd and V8. Because its now a silhouette series any manufacturer can come along and grab a chassis and put its panels on and be up and running for very low associated costs. So unless Nissan plan on importing some of their UA/Japanese V8 4drs the Nissan they will be running here will be a hotted up Maxima, with its V6 and FWD drive thrown in a bin...which isnt even remotely related to its road goign cousin.

But who cares, the series like many touring car series isnt about production car racing...its a platform for a race series that at least look like cars some people drive day to day and manufacturer have in show rooms. The fact that they are all pretty close to being spaceframes with control suspension, gearbox engines etc doesnt bother me at all.

it will be about the best race team and drivers more then the best manufacturer