SAU Community

Hsd Hr Coilovers For R32 Gtr

JD32R

Hey guys.

i have HSD HR coilovers for my R32 Gtr at present. now they are stiff as shit and ultra firm.

They have the adjustability etc, i dont know alot about these coilovers at all (i know they are budget brand but they came with the car, i would upgrade but for what i want they will do and the money is more useful for my tune/build).

Does anyone know what the standard GTR spring rates would be that these would come with??

My aim is pretty simple: i want to get some softer springs, i like firm but i also like streetable, the car was alright before on stock wheels but now its on 18s it has become alot more hows your father.

so want softer springs, also going to be installing a whiteline sway bar set to firm all the roll up.

Car sits practically low at the moment, i like it where it is, handles - pretty good, minimal body roll. I understand that adding the sway bars is gonna help that when the springs are softer.

Any advice, guidance anything would be most appreciated!!!

cheers

JD.

according to otomoto's website, its 9kg/7kg.

generally GTST/GTT run 8kg/6kg

mine handles very firm but once i raised it up. it was so much more bearable but then looks like shit with it being so high.

im not sure if a softer spring rate will do much in terms of reducing the stiffness but obviously you don't want to go too soft (4kg for example), go down 1kg or 2kg max.

is it stiff and bumpy all over or just the rears?

Thanks for the reply mate.

its stiff all over! its currently on the softest setting and still quite jolty.

Spoke with one of the guys from otomoto and they suggested looking at the height of the spring to check dampening etc.

Gonna go to the work shope count the coils and then let them know what i have so we can work out if they are harder springs or the stock ones with incorrect spring height possibly.

the car was being setup for targa tasmania when i bought it so they could well be really stiffere spring rates.

i mean i want a lowered car, but practical (which is where its at right now) i just dont want to feel every single bump crack in the road as much as what i am feeling, but i also want that firm feeling.

so will have a look see and see whats going on.

cheers

My Stagea is at 8 f 7 rear and a little too stiff for the street.

My GTR is 8.2 fr 6.4 rr and also a little too stiff for street. I reckon 8/6 for track, 6/4 for street is probably a sensible starting point.

Also interested to see what 6/4 is like

Ronin: - what car are you running the 6/4 in??

Spoke with Otomoto - Parramatta Sydney - the guy said that they should come factory for a R32 Gtr as 8/6, he said also that the settings for road should be anywhere from 1/3 closest to soft up to no more than 1/2 way adjusted to hard.

he said running them on totally soft (which i have had to do to tone it back abit untill i get it change in the next few weeks) wasnt good, he sugegsted to firsrly look at the compression settings i.e. lenght of the coil which should be 200mm. if this is any less the compression is too much and can give back feedback and feel.

So my car should be in workshop this weekend and im gonna look at what coils i have (i.e. count the number of coils and then tell Otomoto so they can tell me what settings im running) also gonna check out this spring length.

if its really too much etc and i need new springs, they are $100 an end, to me that is pretty cheap for springs to make em feel better and particularly as its a street driven gtr, will be 90% street 10% track. I have the facilities to change the springs quite quickly so not worried about swapping if have a track day etc.

stay tuned boys. Anyone have a R32 Gtr with these coilovers and has a decent street setup that i could tag along with for a quick ride/drive to compare???? will swing some homemade brew or petrol money.

JD

i find it strange how it would be "not good" if running the dampers on totally soft.

they are there to be used on either soft/medium/hard??

good point in bringing up that the springs should be 200mm, im gonna check them out this weekend. my rears could do with a tone down as well.

It might be that they were adjusted incorrectly previously so using the wrong collar they changed the preload on the springs rather than adjust the height correctly. I would think thats why he is asking the spring length.

My house mate is running the HSD HR coilover in his R32 GTR, from memory we are using 8kg front / 7kg rear, the preload is just enough for the spring to be held tight and captive, damper settings are around 9 - 11 out of 16 front and rear, it's stiff but a very progressive ride.

Look, for an R32 R the unsprung weight over the fronts is about 400kg per tyre. So to trap/capture a spring (even an 8kg on) to the extent of having enough preload to affect it in bump means winding in up by 50mm from the point of starting to take up on the spring. Which isnt very likely.

It is more likely he is checking on the spring length to see if it is long enough in the first place and therefore not bottoming.

Anyway best answer is to buy some good springs/dampers & match them with some sway bars. Nismo use 5.5/4.5 kg/mm front and rear on their intro series and that is a pretty good set of numbers.

From Otomoto you can get 3.8/5/6/7 kg springs, maybe try putting your current 6's in the front and put some 5's in the rear. I don't think you will find this overly stiff with the dampers adjusted correctly. Just out of interest, what size tyre do you run?

There is an adjustable collar on the coilover which allows you to adjust the spring pre-load, the spring is always held captive no matter what rate the spring is / any ride height etc

From Otomoto you can get 3.8/5/6/7 kg springs, maybe try putting your current 6's in the front and put some 5's in the rear. I don't think you will find this overly stiff with the dampers adjusted correctly. Just out of interest, what size tyre do you run?

I run 18x10 wheels with 265 30 tyres.

Got under there yesterday and had a quick look. front is 200m on the dot, rears is like 195mm, counted the coils so gonna call otomoto and see what springs i have in there.. once i know i will know a better way to go about setting it up.. might go down the next level from what it has in it wind up the compression to roughly a bit below half and add sway bars in. then should be pretty nice again.

By the sounds of it you have more preload on the rear than the front. the lower rate springs (<7kg) have an ~11mm wire diameter, and stiffer (>7kg) have a ~12mm wire diameter.. Just to get you started. Most will have 7 - 7.5 active coils.

ive got bc racing br series coilovers in mine.8s and 6s and i can can have it as soft as i want or as hard as i want 32 way dampers that actually work awesome coilovers for the money and ya can change spring rates if u wish do some research