SAU Community

R34 Gtt Noise Lifter

Ruxis

Hey guys,

i have been looking through the threads and theres nothing talking about an r34 gtt lifter being noisy and creating the common ticking noise which mine has.

(lifters in an rb25 went from hydraulic to solid in the NEO when they put some gtr parts in the head for eco and performance benefits)

so was just wondering if someone has had this problem and could give me some tips in fixing it.

the noise is on the intake side of the engine so plan is to pull the rocker off and have a lookey, just wondering what to look for once i get it all apart. will the problem be very obvious orrrr???

i dont want to get all oily and what not and not know what im looking for hah.

also if anyone has done this before is there much chance of fixing this ticking without replacing shims and having to take the cam shaft off and all that?

No way to fix without changing the shims and re-doing all the clearences.

worst part of Solid lifters as it is a prick to do in Twincam direct actuation engines

In short, use feeler gauges to find any thing not within spec, remove that shim, measure it calculate how much thicker the new shim needs to be, buy a new shim that thickness and re-install.

Repeat for all 24 valves

I will add, that it is generally possible to do all that without removing the cams, but requires an expirence pair of hands and a couple of special/specific tools to do so

Yes it's a real bitch of a job. I haven't done it before but the guy who built my Neo head wouldn't stop going on about how long it took him to get it to the right clearance to suit my cams. Although he may have been just saying that to charge me more labour!

No way to fix without changing the shims and re-doing all the clearences.

worst part of Solid lifters as it is a prick to do in Twincam direct actuation engines

In short, use feeler gauges to find any thing not within spec, remove that shim, measure it calculate how much thicker the new shim needs to be, buy a new shim that thickness and re-install.

Repeat for all 24 valves

That's so shit zebra haha.

So I have to do all the valves?! O.O how long do you think it'd take two people??

Hmm this is Gunna suck lol. Maybe I'll just make it a week long this and borrow the girls car for the week.

95% sure it's lifters, everyone that's heard it has told me lifters. I think it's lifters. And injectors make there own defined noise.

i was under the impression you can always hear the lifters a bit - one of the first things i noticed when i got my GT-T but everyone who i pointed it out too (and who knew their skylines) told me it was completely normal.

what oil you running?

My R34 always had a reasonably loud ticking noise from the head which wasn't the injectors, never gave me any problems! Maybe you are worrying about nothing and should leave it as is. :thumbsup:

Oil won't have any impact in this application as they are solid lifters.

i was under the impression you can always hear the lifters a bit - one of the first things i noticed when i got my GT-T but everyone who i pointed it out too (and who knew their skylines) told me it was completely normal.

what oil you running?

=

made a video of it.

yeah i know it wont hurt anything, took it to wakie on saturday and nothing has changed as i was told it wouldnt. just find it annoying, want a nice pur.

between that, the injectors going off there head and the gates timing belt (that you strangly cant hear in the video) its just frustrating haha.

although if i have to change all the shims i think i will just leave it as ive been told its completely fine.

hey I would rather a slight tick and the valve being closed rather then some 1 not knowing how to do it properly and shimming them too much so that they now don't close 100%. Thats just my take on it though. that and unless it sounds like a chaff cutter I wouldn't do mine ever again. just saying

i use 10-40 royal purple but yeah solid lifters so should do anything, ive heard a loose cam cover will make it louder so i think ill buy a rocker cover gasket and see if i can shut it up a bit.

mine used to get a little noisy using nulon oil

changed to gulf western sougi and it was heaps better, now its hard to get sougi so i just use the gw synx-3000 and change it every 5000 kms

try some different oils and see how it goes, the gates belt will be noisy because they use a harder material for the face of the belt and they take a while to bed in

might be worth taking the lids off and check under the rocker covers just in case tho, not overly hard to do and good for peace of mind

Yep, shes noisy alrigh! Definitely too much noise from one of them.

I'd say its your oil for a start.

Is it noisy on cold start up, when its hot or all the time?

Changing the oil would be a good start.

But there solid lifters not hydraulic. Would this make a difference?

Does anyone have a good reccomendation? Something in the 80-90 dollar range from Autobarn or alike?

Oh that sounds horrible :P worth fixing I think.

Also, you sure the timing belt tension is correct?

=

made a video of it.

yeah i know it wont hurt anything, took it to wakie on saturday and nothing has changed as i was told it wouldnt. just find it annoying, want a nice pur.

between that, the injectors going off there head and the gates timing belt (that you strangly cant hear in the video) its just frustrating haha.

although if i have to change all the shims i think i will just leave it as ive been told its completely fine.