SAU Community

R32 Gtst Power Figure

Hi guys;

Been reading the power thread and seems like all of the R32s with r33 turbo upgrades are getting 190-210 rwkw, I got a tune done today at Sam (Dr Drift), first run we got 116kw after fixing a few small boost leaks etc. After that we found the fuel pump was rooted so replaced that with a Walbro, had a dr drift chip which got retuned. Turned the boost on 15 pounds, played with timing and final figure came out at 159kw. Car mods include 3 inch exhaust (stock dump / CAT). R33 turbo, boost controller and yellow jackets coil pack (and now walbro fuel pump).

Just wondering where the power loss could be? Or am I confusing between normal kw and rwkw? Do all dyno's measure rwkw? Sam said skyline's normally make around 100 rwkw? Are those 200ish figures with minimal mods the same figure as rwkw (100 stock?)

Sorry if some of the questions are noobish, just thought I'd clarify :D

btw - not like Sam doesn't already have enough plugs, he's the best mechanic I've dealt with so far - and I've gone to a few. Well worth the 1.5 hours each way I travelled :D

My car with the same mods as made just over 190 rwkw

Stock with exhaust and cooler and 12psi and stock turbo it made 150rwkw mate .

U may have a restriction somewhere

Try dropping the cat and see if it's still good and not collapsed ?

Do a compression test ur motor may just be worn out

Is ur car automatic?

Autos will have less power due to power loss through more transmission

If its manual how old is the clutch

There are a few places to start

So you picked up nearly 50rwkw from a tune and some boost...

And you still have a stock cat/dump as you've stated. If you swap those out you might make another 10-15rwkw.

Sounds about right to me. Results in the dyno thread will have proper dumps and hiflow cats etc.

Hmm ok - I might just be expecting too much also :D clutch is fairly new and CAT was put in 2 months ago so that will be fine. Next on my list is the dump and a bigger CAT though - guess different dyno's make different figures also though. Motor is in tip top condition!

P.S: Car is Manual

Edited by agentx

Does FMIC really show gains? I thought it was more for the wank factor unless you're running numbers over 220 (from what i read on the forums). I don't have one. I haven't driven it properly yet thanks to Melbourne weather (you know what I mean if you're here :D) but it drives a LOT smoother in the lower revs and power delivery is much smoother.

Not wank factor more fact. Bigger intercooler has more area to cool the charged air witch in turn gains slight power overall, due to been 10 times the size of a factory side mount. Buy a cooler kit of just jap.

They are cheap and that will have you on your way to be making more power.

From what I have seen on just jap they have some fair priced coolers.

Im sure your turner will be able to push a little more out of it once you get one.

I would also suggest getting rid of the stock front/dump pipe.

Just get a nice bellmouth pipe made up or purchase one.

Also don't buy a split pipe they seem to be a hit and miss

just so you know - getting a GTR cooler then getting someone to make up custom pipes to fit a GTST will cost same or maybe more than getting a kit of the likes of just jap.

And you are in melbourne so will be arse fisted if you cut a hole in your chassis to get the FMIC piping to go through.

If you want a FMIC, you will need a "return flow" type cooler which uses the stock piping and holes - Just jap have these, Blitz also makes them.

I have an ARC return flow which will go up for sale in th enext couple of months.

Another thing to consider is an R34 GTT side mount intercooler - but this also requires mods to one of the end tanks to fit an R32 GTST.

Out of the 2 RB20 cars I've had on the dyno over the year my results were..

152rwkw - untuned RB20 with RB25 turbo + 12psi

162rwkw - Nistune, stock turbo, 16psi

Some people will tell you you need a tune if you put new oil in.

The truth is that any performance mod will benefit from a tune, but changing exhaust and cooler and filter will give you more power but generally the car will run rich so a tune will give you MORE power and better fuel economy.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a tune a with those mods.