SAU Community

Led Interior Lights. Who Has Fitted Them?

slippylotion

Hey guys

I'm thinking of replacing all the interior roof and map lights with LED version but looking on eBay there are too many options to know what actually works and what doesn't.

I'm after a nice white light , not blueish, and as bright or brighter than the current 10w globes.

So if you have tried some with success let me know what type and where you got them.

Thanks guys.

I'm also in the middle of fitting factory option courtesy lights to the bottom of the front doors. Once finished I'll do a write up for those wanting to add some to their M35. Just waiting for one of the lights to arrive from back order.

Edited by slippylotion

I've replaced my main lights (not map yet) with SMD lights and they seem bluish (even though advertised as white)...

I'll measure them up as the first time around bulb was too long and didn't fit.

Adrian

Super keen to see that write up, was thinking of a similar thing like the Lexus have. When you unlock the door the interior and lights on the side mirrors turn on.... I just don't know which wire to tap into??

Edited by adey88

The M35 already turns on the interior lights when you unlock the car and slowly dims them to off when you turn the ignition on.

These are the courtesy lights Im fitting. These courtesy lights will light up the ground when you open the door so the misses can see if she's about to step into a puddle or mud in the gutter when getting out at night. Around $15 each from Nissan. Pics courtesy of Eugene the Russian.

Edited by slippylotion

I need to replace mine, too. One of my map lights is dead, the other is useless because it's too dim, and I was going to change the main centre one to keep it consistent.

I think I'm just going to go to JayCar.

ive tried this before and was never really happy with it. switched back to filament bulbs.

all those $1 ebay "pure white" led's look blueish, and dont emit much light. as a boot light, useless. you could get "warm white" colour which is closer to the original bulbs, or find a bulb with around 5000 lumens rating for more of an office fluoro light colour

you want to find "cree l.e.d's" . these draw more power than a regular led or smd, but are far brighter (pretty much the same as an iphone 4 flash and some are brighter). they are usually rated at 2 watts each (which is 1/5th the current draw of a 10w filament bulb but with brighter light). the problem is: theyre not cheap.

i know a guy who bought 10x 2 metre lengths of those ebay LED strips, stuck them to the roof lining of his work van, powered from the roof light.... that setup was effective! not as bright as the jaycar strip led's but much much cheaper

Edited by Deep Dish V35

I replaced all my interior bulbs with LEDs. I'm sure they were 'warm' ones as they don't look very blue when on. I have some left over if you want them.

I also bought 6 strips of LEDs and put 1 each in the front footwells & under each front seat. I am very happy with that mod, especially since everything in my car is black on black.

The other 2 fitted neatly in the top sides of the grab rails in the back. Feel up there & you will see 2 narrow channels. The strips pushed firmly into one channel on each side & I ran the wires to the middle light so when it comes on the sides do as well. Now I can see a bit more in the back :)

Also, if anyone wants CREE LEDs, of any particular colour, I have heaps of different ones. I had to place a minimum order with a supplier & made up the difference with an assortment.

Oh, & I also put a single, high intensity, blue LED in the centre of the map lights - inset so not visible unless you look right up underneath it.. It comes on when the parking lights are on, but I can turn it off separately. It adds a nice ambience when night driving, although any more could be considered 'rice', lol.

Those courtesy lights look really good Paul (good onya Eugene!) What did they cost from Nissan?

Edited by Commsman

The M35 already turns on the interior lights when you unlock the car and slowly dims them to off when you turn the ignition on.

These are the courtesy lights Im fitting. These courtesy lights will light up the ground when you open the door so the misses can see if she's about to step into a puddle or mud in the gutter when getting out at night. Around $15 each from Nissan. Pics courtesy of Eugene the Russian.

I had a look at this the other day, but couldn't see any extra wiring provided for the under door light. Where are you getting the 12v supply from? wing mirrors? would be interesting.

The power for the drivers door light is taken from the power window switch. There are two white wires, the thicker wire is constant 12v and I ran the earth wire on both door lights to the door trigger switcher on the pillar. The passenger door has no constant power so I took that from under the drivers side dash.

It should be finished tomorrow when I pick up the lights, I'll do a write up hopefully tomorrow.

I changed my interior lights (minus the map lights) to white LED, if i remember right, used the 1 SMD LED from my usual ebay guy. definitely bright white not warm white or bluish white. this was my spares for my old civic interior light.

will take pics tomorrow nite if i remember to do it.

I have led lights in my car they could be a bit brighter but they do the job. Also I had these leds from when I got the car. Someone in Japan thought they were tricky. They look cool at night

post-52024-0-18481500-1342643917_thumb.jpg

I've put these Aerpro ones in my dome lamps and they're great. Model number SMD85W. I think they were about $30 each.

7603840868_7bdf18744a.jpg

Here they are in my Stag. Not the best photo given it is day, but they don't appear blue and the light output is great especially given the mostly black interior. I reckon they are brighter than the original globes. I just need to get the map lights with the door switch so they come on with the dome lamps as well because the main lamp is positioned further back than normal due to the sunroof.

7603812578_57c69179ac_b.jpg

Cheers.

I guess from the majority of people's experiences I'll stick to the standard globes.

Paul, PM me your address & I'll post you a couple of the bayonet LEDs to try in your car.

• 2 years later...

Take your old ones out, go to Jaycar (or your nearest equivalent store) and ask for replacements the same size. That's what I did.

Just remember that they are (all?) polarity-sensitive.