SAU Community

Lowering R33 Gtst

hey guys,

not too sure if this has been brought up before or not.

If it has could someone please link me to the thread as I can't find it.

I have a set of 18 inch rims of my R33 Gtst and I want to lower it another 5cm approx.

Now the problem I have is the item circled in red in the image attached sits just above (about 20mm max) my tyre now.

If I try to lower the car, the rim and tyre will hit it ( I assume so. Am I wrong?)

Is there anything I can do about this? Buy adjustable upper camber arms?

Cheers

Cody

post-90183-0-53180000-1344755813_thumb.jpg

Edited by A Grave Digger

You shouldn't have any problems - the distance from the upper control arm to the axle is constant, so the clearance shouldn't vary as you raise / lower the car.

Adjustable control arms merely move the arm in / out horizontally (adjust camber).

You want to lower ANOTHER 5cm - how far is it lowered now? Because 5cm from stock is pretty much the limit.

But is this forum willing to have another 19 year old make it harder for everybody else because you want to drive on the chassis rails. Always funny when another Skyline is written off because they were flying around a corner and hit a dip with no suspension travel. Backwards into a tree usually.

FWIW the recommended low height limit for "best handling" is approximately 350mm front, 340mm rear. This is measured from centre of wheel to guard, which is the generally accepted method of measurement.

Stock is about 380mm front, 370mm rear. You can go 340mm front, 330mm rear if you know what you are doing with spring rates and bump stop heights but you'll be pretty limited in travel. Any lower than that and you are just asking for trouble. The kind of around a corner at 100km/h hit a dip or bump in the road and "Housden, we have a problem" type of trouble !

Hard to tell accurately from your profile pic but it looks about 350mm front, 340mm rear. 5cm lower? :spank:

It's only technically possible, not actually feasible. You definitely won't have a fast street car, it will have terrible mid-corner balance. It will have no bump stops and about 1cm of wheel travel.

BTW ultra low is going out of fashion real fast at the moment so you won't even be cool.

Edited by simpletool

But is this forum willing to have another 19 year old make it harder for everybody else because you want to drive on the chassis rails. Always funny when another Skyline is written off because they were flying around a corner and hit a dip with no suspension travel. Backwards into a tree usually.

cool story bro

FWIW the recommended low height limit for "best handling" is approximately 350mm front, 340mm rear. This is measured from centre of wheel to guard, which is the generally accepted method of measurement.

Stock is about 380mm front, 370mm rear. You can go 340mm front, 330mm rear if you know what you are doing with spring rates and bump stop heights but you'll be pretty limited in travel. Any lower than that and you are just asking for trouble. The kind of around a corner at 100km/h hit a dip or bump in the road and "Housden, we have a problem" type of trouble !

Hard to tell accurately from your profile pic but it looks about 350mm front, 340mm rear. 5cm lower? :spank:

It's only technically possible, not actually feasible. You definitely won't have a fast street car, it will have terrible mid-corner balance. It will have no bump stops and about 1cm of wheel travel.

BTW ultra low is going out of fashion real fast at the moment so you won't even be cool.

Where did you get that info?

I wouldn't mind reading up a bit

Cheers

Which bit of info? The 350mm front height is general consensus (grain of salt) but it's just before the lower control arms are parallel to the ground at rest. This is typically the point of diminishing returns as far as lowering goes with stock arms/locating points. So 340mm - 350mm is pretty much where you want to be at the front (rear is typically 10mm lower, mostly because the guard itself is lower on the body). If you're front spring are up around 8kg/mm+ then you could prob get away with 335mm or so as far as travel goes, but I'm not sure it would be an advantage - and that is a bloody high spring rate for a Skyline.

The rest of it is from measurements I've taken myself, did a coilover sleeve conversion and had to take quite a few measurements and do some calcs because I wanted to put it all together then stuff it in the car and drive to work the next day.

cool story bro

I take it the roads have improved A LOT since I last drive to Toowoomba and back. There is one uphill section on the highway heading east just near Hattonvale I think that has some CRAZY potholes on the highway. I can't imagine the back roads could be any better. Trust me, the minimum for good fast street driving is 340mm.

What shock/spring combo are you using? - EDIT: The photo looks like Tein superstreets ? Stick to 340mm, maybe push it a touch lower and try it but I wouldn't like the idea of scrubbing into driveways and around tight corners with bumps.

Edited by simpletool

Trust me, the minimum for good fast street driving is 340mm.

That's not what he wants to hear. What he wants to hear is "Nah, brah, it's going to be schweeet mate. Jus' lower it awl the way down brah. Chicks will dig it. You'll be cutting fullee sik helis in their underpants brah!"

Anyone ever heard of "Form over Function"? Although 5cm from there will be a lot of form and not much function. hahahaha

Each to their own I say, there has been heaps of skylines wrecked around Toowoomba lately and I don't think the cops would pull me up if I tried to get them too.

Mines at least 5cm lower at the front (guard is about level with top of tyre) has at least 8kg springs judging by the harshness, on bilstein shocks and this has given about 3 degree of camber.. it handles great...

• 5 months later...

Hi people ; got a question RE my R33 Gts-T.. i'm looking to lower it a bit now..

Am near Narre Warren / Berwick / Sth East areas. Any suggestions on where to go or who to see that's reputable or previously used

by anyone on the forum?? Seek good advice & no b**shit preferably. Just want it done nicely without being slammed.

Appreciate any advice or feedback.

Thanks all :wave:

Hi people ; got a question RE my R33 Gts-T.. i'm looking to lower it a bit now..

Am near Narre Warren / Berwick / Sth East areas. Any suggestions on where to go or who to see that's reputable or previously used

by anyone on the forum?? Seek good advice & no b**shit preferably. Just want it done nicely without being slammed.

Appreciate any advice or feedback.

Thanks all :wave:

buy the parts and get the guy above you to do it. or me. ive done plenty. and artz knows what he is doing. itll be a shit load cheaper too!

buy the parts and get the guy above you to do it. or me. ive done plenty. and artz knows what he is doing. itll be a shit load cheaper too!

Hi , Thanks for that Paul... thats really good to know..

Just curious, what's a job like that worth if parts supplied by me? I haven't got them as yet.. just need to find best place to go & know what i'm looking for

and roughly what to spend..

P.S only max limit legally also is what i need, a gentle drop for my girl only :)

Edited by GirlTORQUE