SAU Community

Shoota's R33 GT-R RB30/26

28 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Finish car, do skids and 4WD helis. Keep car, keep spark.

Does this spark joy? Fking oath it does.

Because it’s been so long, the good memories are so distant it’s hard to remember the reasons I loved it! It’s like a girlfriend you banged 10 years ago. I think she was good....

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Looney_Head said:

I had this when I was building mine, it took 8 odd years, but once I got it going again there is no way I will sell it

I really honestly hope this is the case!  There's always going to be things that need to be fixed/improved/etc and I just hope I can still find it in my heart to persist with all of them and still enjoy it!  Because I've had so many setbacks over so many years, even little things turn me off it all over again. When I get overly mentally invested in it and totally committed to finishing it off, those setbacks are such a huge kick in the balls (more than they really should be).  My brain then forces me to hate it to avoid sinking into depression over it!  It's like a bad mental health avoidance tactic.

You can't understand this until you've lived it for yourself!

Anyway, I won't be focusing on the negatives, as soon as this beautiful gear bag is back on deck I'm into it!

• Like 7

Just now, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

And I want to see a 8k RPM launch 😍

Oh this will happen.  Hopefully more than once but that will depend on how well I've screwed it all together!

I'll have a little more faith in the gearbox now that 3rd gear is made of something slightly harder than balsa wood!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok quick update on the gearbox (saga).

Neat Gearboxes went missing on me for a few weeks which was a bit frustrating.  Turns out the owner Sam has done his back and been out of action for the last few weeks.

During the reassembly process Neat have discovered that the shim/bearing seat for the countershaft have not been machined deep enough meaning they can't achieve the correct end float measurement required.  End result is that they need to send the plate off to an engineer to be machined a bees dick deeper to allow the thinnest genuine shim to be used to achieve the required end float.  Not the end of the world but a little frustrating.  I contacted Alex at Speedtek and I think I encountered the individual I was warned about.  I gave him the full information about the problem that Neat had discovered, sent him all the pictures verifying the issue but he just wouldn't cop it and admit fault.  Initially he told me I needed to speak to the supplier of the centre plate as it sounds like they had machined it wrong.  I replied, ahhhhh buddy, you made it hence why I'm talking to you....  So he hopped onto the other foot and told me to read the service manual as we must be reassembling it incorrectly....  Then he told me they could machine down the thinnest shim Nissan recommend to make the shim to suit the clearance...   So does that mean you DID machine the plate wrong????

Anyway, I just strung it out for another 10 messages or so as it was mildly entertaining seeing his moronic responses and how incredibly pig headed his way of handling the issue was.  I don't intend this to be racist but people with a surname ending in ski can tend to be firm of opinion at times....  It's cost me another $150 in the process to get the plate machined properly but in the grand scheme of things not worth the headache of giving a shit...

A few years ago I would have lost my shit over this but I think in the 8+ years it's been off the road I've matured a bit :8_laughing:.

Hopefully have the box back in the next 2 or 3 weeks and then the shit hits the fan and I need to work out how committed I really am to this nugget!  I've done my licence for 6 months (long story) so would be AMAZING if my first drive on September 19th was in the GT-R...  Wishful thinking perhaps?

No description available.  No description available.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Gearbox is finally here after about 6 months!  Still a few little things I need to put on it then it will be transfer case on, bolt it back in the car, hit key and drive off into the sunset......

Yeah nah it won't be like that at all.  Still a heap of things to do but the final major piece of the puzzle is back so if motivation decides to accompany me over the next few months then maybe I'll be hitting the key again at some point this year! 

I get my licence back 19th of September so it would be fairly amazing for my first drive to be in the GT-R but I'm a realist so let's not get ahead of ourselves! 🤣

Couple of pics of the box. Not sure if you can tell from the photo of the input shaft but the ISF (Isotropic Super Finish) treatment makes it look amazing! Hopefully it holds together! 

If anyone is interested, the whole gearbox upgrade with Speedtek billet shafts/gears, billet centre plate, new bearings and seals, labour, ISF finish, freight, etc, etc came to about $6500-$7000.  A lot of money to be still 5 speed I guess but fingers crossed it's up for a good flogging! 

20210423_151550.jpg

20210423_151611.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shoota_77 said:

If anyone is interested, the whole gearbox upgrade with Speedtek billet shafts/gears, billet centre plate, new bearings and seals, labour, ISF finish, freight, etc, etc came to about $6500-$7000.  A lot of money to be still 5 speed I guess but fingers crossed it's up for a good flogging! 

Still pretty decent considering an OS 5 speed set cost me around that 8 years ago

also u could break atleast 3 of these before you would be around the sequential price

4 hours ago, UWISSH! said:

Still pretty decent considering an OS 5 speed set cost me around that 8 years ago

also u could break atleast 3 of these before you would be around the sequential price

Yeah I’m tipping an OS would cost a fair bit more to get built up nowadays. Especially if you add the extra internal work on I had done on this box. I honestly don’t expect I’ll drive it enough to justify the price of a sequential.  If I only had one hobby it might be doable but at the moment I’d rather spend $20K on my motorbikes that I do get a huge amount of use out of.  If I ever give up the bikes and sell those and the caravan then it will be a sequential for sure but until that day comes along (if it ever does...), hopefully this box is strong enough to cop everything I throw at it!

1 hour ago, Looney_Head said:

it sucks you got shit support from them, but great news that you have the box assembled and back now.

Yeah not the end of the world!  Neat were pretty happy overall with the quality of everything from Speedtek, in terms of the cutting of the gears, the hardness level of the gears, etc.  It was just that one machining issue plus the vent hose at the top of the billet centre plate is designed to fit an AN fitting into it but they haven't put a thread in the hole to screw it into.  The hole is way bigger than the hole in the factory centre plate that the original pipe that fits into it so I'll have to roll the box upside down and tap a thread in it so no swarfe goes inside the box from the tap.

It it cops whatever abuse I throw at it and survives then all (negatives) will be forgotten!

I started cleaning up my shed on the weekend which is my version of females "nesting"prior to a baby coming home so hopefully that means I'm nearly ready to start working on it again!! :8_laughing:

• Like 1