SAU Community

Shoota's R33 GT-R RB30/26

On 21/08/2020 at 10:33 AM, Shoota_77 said:

House is only 6 years old so renos are years away!

Ha ha, put in a pool for the kids or get a sequential.... Hmmmmm.

Sequential will be cheaper! 

There's a lake (or is it glorified pond?) in Shepparton, tell kids to swim there, by having a sequential, you'll drop the kids in a jiffy. 

2 hours ago, Count Grantleyish said:

There's a lake (or is it glorified pond?) in Shepparton, tell kids to swim there, by having a sequential, you'll drop the kids in a jiffy. 

Yeah the Shepp Lake is about as safe to swim in as the Yarra! You would jump in, bash your knee on a shopping trolley then end up with a severe dose of tetanus! A case of lockjaw would shut the kids up for a while though as a side bonus....

• Haha 2

Got the rest of the gears/synchros off the mainshaft over the weekend.  Anyone seen this before? It looks like when I was initially using BKs method to get the shafts out of the centre plate and the counter shaft launched itself out and smacked into the synchro which has then put pressure on the circlip on the end of the shaft. That impact has splintered the end spline off.

End result,  mainshaft is rooted.  Fingers crossed the recipient boxes shafts are both in good condition or I'm buying new shafts too...  I do have a 3rd box but was hoping to not have to rob parts off that one yet...

If you zoom in where I've circled on the brass synchro you can see the impact from the counter shaft.

*large sigh*

20200826_093856.jpg

20200825_181432.jpg

20200825_181404.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BakemonoRicer said:

Engine/gearbox internals, two departments I refuse to mess around with, every DIY job I see people do always seems to end up in tears lol.

They're definitely the two things I most regret doing!

It's all part of the learning process.  It does stress me out a bit but conquering the fear and stress makes the next challenging project that little bit easier.  I've said many times that the hardest part of many of the things we do is just starting.  If you have a few issues along the way who cares.  You've just grown as a person by having a crack.  We learn more from our mistakes than from our easy victories.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben C34 said:

Smash the rest of it and get Samsonas

I thought we decided

Ha ha, yeah we definitely did decide that.  I think??  We just didn't sort out the finer details of who's paying for it as it aint me!  Even though I control the finances of the household my lovely wife would LOSE IT if a nice timber box turned up with a shiny new sequential gearbag in it!  One day maybe but not for a fair while yet.  Maybe when I give up motorbikes, hookers and blow I'll have the spare cash to drop $20K on it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

At least you can drive anywhere you want to get groceries in regional Victoria, sure, why not get some sort of decent gears for your GTR. 

Just get your kids an inflatable pool. 

If you still don't feel $20k gearbox is worth it, just think of Melbourians... remember we're stuck within 5km radius of our homes. 

9 hours ago, Count Grantleyish said:

At least you can drive anywhere you want to get groceries in regional Victoria, sure, why not get some sort of decent gears for your GTR. 

Just get your kids an inflatable pool. 

If you still don't feel $20k gearbox is worth it, just think of Melbourians... remember we're stuck within 5km radius of our homes. 

The kids already have a pathetic blow up pool!  It drives me nuts as it keep killing my grass every summer when then they force me to roll it out!  Luckily their cousins have a pool and live just up the road a few kms, that gets a good work out!

3 hours ago, robbo_rb180 said:

Good on you for having a go, at least you have plenty of spare gears. 

Tell the wife standard gearbox's are getting too expensive and unknown condition, you'll save money in the long run. 

The second statement is getting not far from the truth!  There used to be $500 gearboxes laying around everywhere 2 years ago.  I've got 3 gearboxes and 3 transfer cases in various states of rootedness!  Two of the transfer cases are modded with the extra plates and the 3rd one is relegated to the spare parts pile. 2 gearboxes will be combined to make a working box for the car and the third one (original box) has a grinding 4th gear so it will in line for a reco to go into something else.  Maybe...

Once this thing is eventually back on the road and I decide I will keep it long term a sequential will definitely be on the shopping list but it will take my tightly clenched Dutch arse a long while to loosen up enough to allow enough $$ to flow to buy it! 

• Like 2

Its time to start pulling the second gearbox to bits so I'm having one last crack at making my bearing race puller work.  If it fails this time then I give up! ?

Taking a slightly different approach this time make it into a puller itself rather than something a puller attaches to. I already feel like I should have used a bigger main bolt than an M12 but we'll see how we go.  I'm going to give @Ben C34's idea of using drill bit shanks as the puller pins.  Hopefully they're stronger than my shoddy home lathed bolts!

Apart from the M12 bolt I just bought ($3...) its all just been scraps laying around (as you can see from the latest additions....) so minimal cost involved but I do enjoy tinkering with this sort of thing. Anything to whip the welder out and lay down some snot!

Fingers crossed it all works or the angle grinder is coming out again! ?

20200901_173656.jpg

20200901_175516.jpg

20200901_175521.jpg

20200901_180113.jpg

20200901_180123.jpg

• Like 3

Episode #13 of the most boring tool build ever recorded...

Made some more mods to the puller. Found that 6mm threaded sleeves form a fairly nice guide for the 5mm drill bits to slide through. Drilled out the existing holes in the puller so the sleeves fit through. Put the new sleeve in position with the drill bits in place so when I welded it up they were perfectly aligned. After welding the drill bits still slide in and out nicely so fingers crossed all good! Just need to weld the two sections together as pictured and should be good to go. It looks like some crazy Asian Triad symbol or religious artefact ??

I'll hopefully get all of the first gearbox parts cleaned and ready for shipping off this weekend so the bench is cleared off for the next dismantle. 

Dirt bike ride up the hills tomorrow and hopefully I'll get peace and quiet on Sunday for fathers day so I can do what I want to do! Generally not how it works though as all fathers will know....

20200903_202242.jpg

20200903_202307.jpg

20200903_202738.jpg

• Like 3

It worked!!!

The rudest, ugliest tool even seen on the face of this planet has succeeded!  ??

Got all of the proceeding gears and bearings pulled off the second gearbox to gain access to the now infamous bloody inner bearing race.

Lined everything up so I could get all of the spacing right then welded the monstrosity together. 

With great expectations (and even more pessimism) I assembled the puller with my $9.45 worth of (3) 5mm drill bits and attacked it with the rattle gun.

Off she came! It was a very pleasurable experience! 

Should get the rest of it stripped apart to rob the shafts out during the week. 

I think I'm starting to understand where my noise was coming from in this gearbox....  No idea how they managed to do this whenever it was last rebuilt but its bloody ugly!

20200906_172716.jpg

20200906_174839.jpg

20200906_174852.jpg

20200906_175043.jpg

20200906_175050.jpg

20200906_175846.jpg

• Like 2