SAU Community

Shoota's R33 GT-R RB30/26

Ok, done f.all lately waiting for bits and motivation...

So seeing I ended up having to rob bits out of one of my older gearboxes they found that they had dramas and would need replacing anyway 🤦‍♂️.

So.........  I’m guessing this will agitate some people but I’m putting a Speedtek close ratio gear set in it....  I know there have been some less favourable reviews around but there are also some fairly high power cars running them so I’m taking the gamble!  I’ve spoken to Neat and he has some direction to take once he gets it to rectify the issues he has seen in the past (overly hardened gears).

I’l whack in a PPG billet centre plate at the same time to hold it all together.

Fingers crossed this won’t have been a stupid waste of time and money!  If it works then I’ll be thrilled as I’ll be clutch dumping at 8000rpm at every chance I get!

There is zero chance I’ll be getting a sequential in the next 10 years so hopefully this setup will handle the power.

I’ll sit here and wait for the anti Speedtek abuse! 😅

• Like 1

i see Speedtek are doing a billet center plate now too, would it be easier to get it all from the one place?

also which 5th gear are you going with? i am still wanting to get one of their gearsets but i want longer ratios not shorter

@Looney_Head they’re out of stock of the billet plates until December. They’re a great price too ($950) but I want to get cracking on it ASAP.  Waiting to hear back about the PPG plate, hopefully they’re available immediately so I can hopefully have everything back before Christmas.

Confirming final details about the gear set today. I like the idea of the longer 5th to give a better cruising gear.

Should have the intake manifold back from the powdercoaters this week. Looking forward to seeing how it comes up!

• Like 1

Ok so I misinterpreted timing on the gearset....  Going to be 4 or 5 weeks which will suck balls as probably won't get it all back from Neat till next year now 😪.

I'll get the centre plate through them now that the wait is longer. 

Got my manifold back today. I'm happy with it but it's just not exactly how I hoped it would come out. It was supposed to be shadow chrome but its like the transparent black isn't transparent enough so its now sort of a metallic dark grey. Ah well, its unique! 

Covers my welds a bit so all good!

20201110_175948.jpg

20201110_180014.jpg

20201110_180018.jpg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Please do yourself a favour and google speedtek and Alex Kantarovski, should be plenty of reading. I know there is a topic RE speektek gearsets on this forum

lol I was going to post that yesterday when I saw Speedtek mentioned - but held my tongue! 😄😄😄

I was about to send my Trust Box to him mid year - but was warned by a SAU member - and didn't risk it in the end.

I hope it works out your you  Ewan - I really do.

5 hours ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Please do yourself a favour and google speedtek and Alex Kantarovski, should be plenty of reading. I know there is a topic RE speektek gearsets on this forum

I was also going to say this. Scamming prick, gearset tolerances not manufactured correctly, and so on. Just endless problems with them. I'm surprised Sam at Neat would even touch them...

8 hours ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Aware of all that guys, I appreciate the concern and I understand it's a risk!  I've read the reviews and I'm not going to lie I've got some hesitations but I'm willing to give them a go and support a local business as opposed to spending a heap more for an OS Giken gearset.  Google Skyline problems and I'm tipping you'll find a few (thousand) dramas.  Google Toyota problems and you'll also find plenty of posts.  There's piss and moaners around every corner these days so I take them all in but come to my own conclusions at the end of the day.  If I was judged on my actions from the past then I would have been given a lot less opportunities than what I have so I'm open to being convinced they have done the same.  What is clear that he does seem to take ownership of the dramas.  The guy that had the OS Giken gearset replaced did seem to get everything he needed (eventually!).  I guess I'm hoping that 3 years later they're way more on top of their QC than back then...  I have requested some assurances from him (which are just words at the end of the day) that they will back up their products and not dodge responsibility.  If they can't give me the assurances I need then I'll be pulling the pin.

Neat Gearboxes will be giving it a going over and making some minor modifications to it and I'm sure they'll tell me if it's not up to scratch.  If it's not and it can't be rectified then I'll be chucking a major tanty.

The reality is, if it wasn't that price I wouldn't be doing it and I'd be driving around with a stock shatter box like a nanna scared #hitless that it's about to go boom.  Every man and his dog wants a sequential but that's just not going to happen so this is the only reality for me at the present time.

I'm nervously optimistic that I'll be driving around with a smile on my face!  If not, I'll be pissed off and making as much noise as possible to make sure it's made good!

Only time will tell!!

• Like 2

Right so I'm either dumbest, most gullible person on the planet or a fiercely brave groundbreaker! :4_joy:  I've ordered the Speedtek gearset and will hopefully see it early to mid December.  I got the assurances I felt I needed from him (Alex) and I also spoke to a guy in NZ with a 610kW R33 GT-R running the gearset.  He's run a 9.7 sec quarter mile on it.  I specifically asked him about a) the service he received from Alex and b) the product itself including fitment.  This guy had nothing bad to say.  Alex's remarks (be they right or wrong) were that at this point he wasn't too fussed about chasing work in Australia at this point (maybe he realises he's burnt too many bridges here and minimal chance of recovery?) as the majority of his gearsets are heading to drifters/racers overseas and the number of them he's currently selling are the capacity of his workshop anyway so he probably wouldn't be able to handle much more in the way of capacity.

If anyone wants to know, I got the 1-5 gearset with a 0.7 ratio 5th gear and their billet centre plate.  All up it was $4200 including post (*** if my wife is reading this I'm actually grossly exaggerating, I got it all for $420 and fitment was free....  But, if I'm dead and you're selling my shit to afford a bood job, it WAS worth $4200 plus about another $1000 to get it further treated and assembled, send me a photo and make sure you look after the kids xx:18_kissing_heart:.***).

It's an expensive gamble and I'll be pooping myself until the first time I dump the clutch at full noise!

I'll be 100% honest throughout the whole thing.  If I get effed over and I've blown $4200 I'll admit it and admit that I'm a moron for disregarding everyones warnings.  If everything goes to plan and it does everything I'm hoping it will do, I'll admit it and will sing the praises of the product and the service I have received so far.  On that note, I cannot fault his contact from initial contact to the point of me making the payment.  This includes some pretty late hours responses to my fairly confronting questions regarding his ownership of any dramas.  So far, so good.

Stay tuned for full disclosure!

• Like 5

Will be very keen to see your results...

Not that I need to do anything yet but I've been weighing up a 34 GTR Getrag conversion, as we all know though this is now getting very exxxxxxy at $10k+ minimum which is getting out of reach so I too have been looking at just rebuilding the 32 GTR gearbox but with stronger gearsets... and doing the transfer case mod at the same time...

What I'm more so looking to do and why I was looking down the 34 GTR route was the improvement in drivability that the gearing gives...

I wonder if the Speedtek offers the ability to change the gearing (shorter) similar to the Getrag whilst keeping a longer 5th?!?

Edited by mr_rbman
error

54 minutes ago, mr_rbman said:

Will be very keen to see your results...

Not that I need to do anything yet but I've been weighing up a 34 GTR Getrag conversion, as we all know though this is now getting very exxxxxxy at $10k+ minimum which is getting out of reach so I too have been looking at just rebuilding the 32 GTR gearbox but with stronger gearsets... and doing the transfer case mod at the same time...

What I'm more so looking to do and why I was looking down the 34 GTR route was the improvement in drivability that the gearing gives...

I wonder if the Speedtek offers the ability to change the gearing (shorter) similar to the Getrag whilst keeping a longer 5th?!?

$10K?  Good luck finding one for that!  I haven't seen one under $12K for nearly a year now.  I believe they've now gone beyond the point of considered good bang for the buck.  I remember looking at them advertised for $6K for a full bolt in kit 4 or 5 years ago and thinking I'd love one but that it's way too expensive!  Hindsight is a glorious thing!

This is what Speedtek list as the ratios (identical to the OS Giken gearset ratios except 5th which OS use 0.826 which would be revving it's arse off at 100 km/hr)-

GEAR RATIOS 
1st: 2.695 VS 3.214 STD
2nd: 1.703 VS 1.925 STD
3rd: 1.236 VS 1.302 STD
4th: 1.000 

5th: 0.7 VS 0.752 STD (0.7 is what I chose)

In effect i guess they're longer rather than shorter gearing throughout the whole range.  OS Giken has the shorter gearing on 5th which would help keep it in the revs going into 5th but Shouldn't have to change out of 1st gear quite as quick which is nice.  With the normal box (from my very distant memory of driving it....) it barely felt like you were rolling off and it's time to go up a gear.

• Like 1

Yes but you can use the stock 5th with an OS giken gearset too, which is what I have in my 33. The tall first gear gets you roughly about 100km/h compared to about 80km/h with the stock 3.214. The gearset in effect makes it closer ratio spacing between 1st - 4th. @mr_rbmanQuoting myself from another thread about the Getrag, but in a nutshell the Getrag is a bit like having a 5 speed OS gearset and shoving a super short gear in front of 1st.

R34 Getrag:

3.827, 2.360, 1.685, 1.312, 1.000, 0.793
final drive 3.545

Ignoring 1st, 2nd to 6th gears it's similar ratios to a Giken 5 speed. May aswell not have the 1st in it with 4.11, so what's the point of using a Getrag 6 speed in an 32 / 33 unless you want a very short 50km/h Motorkhana gear ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BK said:

The tall first gear gets you roughly about 100km/h compared to about 80km/h with the stock 3.214.

That sounds a lot more usable!

You're spot on about the Getrag 1st gear, that's bordering on pointless having a gear that short. Good for feeding out hay on the farm....

You'd never be able to select it on downshift unless you practically stopped and you'd only use first from a standing start (maybe).

Another point which I don't like is the Getrag use ATF like Tremec because of their synchros material, unlike an actual gear oil which will always provide better lubrication. Hence why you have to use the absolutely best synthetic ATF on the market like Castrol Transmax Z to have a chance of any gear wear protection.