SAU Community

Where to get Skyline Serviced

• 3 weeks later...

Suspension

Chris at Inline qbn, who is the local guru, had a heart attack just before doing an extensive job on the 32.

He is still working, however he cant take on the same workload as before, even though he has some helpers now.

So if you want the best be prepared to wait.

Second best is probably capital steering and suspension fyshwick.

I havent had work done by them, but they supplied my parts quickly, and others give them a good rap(earlier in this thread).

They have a large workshop and lots of workers, so im sure they would be quick on the job too.

But if your getting all adjustable arms and stuff, you want them adjusted right, so Inline is the way to go.

Ps.. my car was the s-box there, Porches, Ferrari, BMW, Merc, and some beautiful oldies like a Corvette and Mustang.

This guy really knows what he's doing. Nice bloke too.

A couple of weeks ago, probably from working too much.

Just before starting on the 32, but the last thing he needs is to stress about work. So i waited awhile before calling back.

Hes had many many well wishers and says hes a bit over it. I think heaps of people know him in the industry and motorsport.

Obviously has a lot of freinds, like i said, a nice bloke.

Maybe we could send him a get well soon card from SAU ACT, it would be nice, and unobtrusive.

I've known Chris for years, I plan to be intrusive and drop in to see how he's doing!

So if people do want to do a card to want me to drop anything in then let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

B N P is no more.

The guy that owned it bought Japspec Garage in mitchell.

That reminds me i gotta look and see if hes got something i want (2 rooms of bits apparently)

More than just two rooms mate. Pm with a list as there is a sale going on.

Bit of a story about my experience with ACT Brakes.

Today I had the hardline fittings flared for my hydraulic handbrake at ACT Brakes. They are terrible, I wouldn't recommend them at all.

First of all, they are very over priced. ABS in Fyshwick will flare the ends of hard brake line for $5.50 per flare, I like this shop and they do a good job, but their portable flaring tool was broken, so they could only flare hardline out of the car, not under the car like I needed.

ACT Brakes quoted $31.25 per flare! There were no other shops nearby to do the work, so I paid $125 to have the 4 flares done. Way way overpriced.

Secondly, when I arrived to pick my car up it was sitting outside in pouring rain with the two front windows down - both seats drenched and pools of water in the footwells (no carpet in my car)

Next, they said if I wanted the brakes bled it would cost a further $75, I said no and I will bleed them at home. When I picked the car up they said they bled them anyway, but the pedal goes flat to the floor, it was a very difficult drive home. Pretty poor that they couldn't even quickly bleed the brakes to a reasonable pedal feel, hydraulic handbrake or not they are supposed to be a brake shop.

Lastly, before I took the car in I drilled a hole in my transmission tunnel for the hardline to run through, I drilled a 13.5mm hole and put a rubber grommet in it - more than big enough for two pieces of hardline to run through. When I picked the car up, they had run 1 line through the hole with a grommet that I drilled, then they had drilled another hole next to it and didn't put a grommet, I left more grommets in the glovebox but I didn't know they were drilling a new hole and I forgot to tell them about the extra grommets. Either way, you would think a 'professional' brake shop would not leave a brake line running through a bare metal hole.

That's my rant. Overall, terrible experienced, shoddy work and very overpriced, I would not recommend these guys to anyone.

The ACT Brakes in Mitchell is well known for screwing people as they do a lot of rego inspections.

Pedders Belco is another bad one, most of the transmission shops in canberra etc etc.

Half the auto shops in Canberra are dodgy as.

Check out who has a good reputation and avoid all others.

Ps: Did you check out how much a flaring tool is? Or if one of us has one? I have pipe benders for that stuff. You got a drill and grommets....

Yep just as above ^ I had one lined up but that fell through at the last minute, needed to have it done in time for Wakefield this weekend.

I didn't post on any forums, I found out yesterday I couldn't use the tool I had arranged to so I started calling shops.

Flaring tools aren't that expensive but I needed a weird double flare, that is what makes the tools quite expensive (from what I found)

Pretty disappointing; I wonder how so many of these workshops stay in business.. perhaps all of their trade accounts?