SAU Community

Sau Act Club?

I was talking to Rob a few months ago and asked him about SAU Membership and he was telling me that we're attached to the NSW Membership scheme. I was wondering as to why ACT does not have their own membership / club members? My only real two conclusions were that NSW provides some discounts (for being SAU NSW Member) and the administration side of it would be tiring for the directed few who took it up.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but could not find out any information or threads about it. I requested for membership but have not been given a response so whilst I wait, I was thinking why we don't have our own club.

ACT have at least 20-30 cars on Friday night meets (Summer) and even when it's starting to get a bit cold we have an attendance.

I guess the Pros and Cons of this SAU-ACT club would provide local discounts and a sense of belonging to a group; so to speak. Also, a unique ACT SAU logo design (I have read that other states have their own unique club SAU logo) to which we can use at events or even meet ups / photos.

And for cons would be the administration side of it.

Thoughts

Edited by HelgaR33

It was discussed about a month ago in wasteland I think....

There just isn't enough people in Canberra to make it worth while..... Plus seeming there isn't many places to organise discounts for SAU members for a whole 30-40 people just isn't worth while... In the 80 odd thousand members only a third are registered members throughout the nation.... So out of the 40 odd in Canberra 15 of them would be members... And they are already NSW members

I will take up to a month to get your membership pack as shell does them in a bulk amount saves her doing 1 here 3 there kind of thing.

As much as I agree about having a ACT membership it just doesn't seem worth while due to the number... I guess one of the crap things about being in the ACT and having the shit end of the stick.

• Like 1

I was talking to Rob a few months ago and asked him about SAU Membership and he was telling me that we're attached to the NSW Membership scheme. I was wondering as to why ACT does not have their own membership / club members? My only real two conclusions were that NSW provides some discounts (for being SAU NSW Member) and the administration side of it would be tiring for the directed few who took it up.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but could not find out any information or threads about it. I requested for membership but have not been given a response so whilst I wait, I was thinking why we don't have our own club.

ACT have at least 20-30 cars on Friday night meets (Summer) and even when it's starting to get a bit cold we have an attendance.

I guess the Pros and Cons of this SAU-ACT club would provide local discounts and a sense of belonging to a group; so to speak. Also, a unique ACT SAU logo design (I have read that other states have their own unique club SAU logo) to which we can use at events or even meet ups / photos.

And for cons would be the administration side of it.

Thoughts

As Richard said, we're too slack. And it's a waste of time.

Admin - There is no advantage in becoming CAMS registered for ACT only. There is a lot of work to setup and maintain. Just look at the work that is involved in some of the stuff we do here already.

Discounts - Canberra is small enough to already have mates rates anyways and we already pay way more than we should for parts (it's great if you're selling). I don't think a club is necessary for discounts.

Attendance - Friday night is a mix of different groups. They are not all SAU. You'll notice that people that attend SAU events can be a different bunch of people.

You don't feel like you belong to a group already? I'm pretty sure you can design your own SAU ACT logo if you like. And people would like if someone did organise events if that is something you would do.

I was involved heavily with the R31 Skylineclub. I organised events, moderated the forum, created logos and a banner. While there was a bunch of enthusiastic people involved I was happy to do it but while it wasn't difficult, it did consumed so much of my time. After those people moved on or left, I had no motivation. There was no benefit to me so I moved on as well to do other things.

The atmosphere on here is starting to increase again but I think it's still a while for us to be a registered club. This forum/friendship group should be enough for the time being. I'm sure it will evolve if the group grows and people become more involved.

The only reason I am a NSW member is because it was cheaper to attend a track day SAU had organised. I think it was so much so that membership was free. I was still apart of another car club and I'm pretty sure I will do the same thing with other clubs if events are cheaper.

It appears if there has bene quite a discusion already. It's a shame ACT is so small, but it's also got it's advantages. Rob did great with the Easter Cruise and yeah, having more of them couldn't hurt anything but the fuel bill. I guess as new blood (Me :D) comes along and where SAU, Skylines, Cruises, meet ups is new to me, I can only ask the questions as to "why" we don't do this more often. I think the ACT peeps are a great bunch and really helpful when it comes to skylines and at every meet up I learn a ton more than I did before I left for the event.

There's a lot more to running a club than just organising a cruise. ACT folk don't have a great track record to turning up to official events even when SAU NSW bring them to us. You'll also find a lot of other clubs locally have tried and failed including the Supra club. It's difficult getting enough dedicated people to form the committee required.

Link to the NSW Membership info is here for anyone that hasn't got it http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/365434-s-a-u-n-s-w-club-membership-faq/

Shell often gets overloaded so you don't always hear back straight away, the first indication though is when the NSW Club Member status appears under your name and you get access to the additional forum.

• Like 1

everyone has made some great points in here.

and it is unfortunate that you dont have the surplus members in your area for membership to form a club.

BUT...

i can bring up some points at the exec meeting tomorrow night.

if you would like to design it, we may be able to implament am ACT logo/sticker?

in regards to discounts, you can approach businesses yourself and "feel them out", and come back to us.

are there any other points you would like voiced?

if you think of any, please dont hesitate to contact any of the members with the blue exec banner under their name.

your local ACT execs are GTR kat and shell.

but, please feel free to pm any of us.

im in here on a semi regular basis.

i attend most of the exec meetings.

hope to hear from you.

cheers, luke.

• Like 1

There's a lot more to running a club than just organising a cruise. ACT folk don't have a great track record to turning up to official events even when SAU NSW bring them to us. You'll also find a lot of other clubs locally have tried and failed including the Supra club. It's difficult getting enough dedicated people to form the committee required.

Link to the NSW Membership info is here for anyone that hasn't got it http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/365434-s-a-u-n-s-w-club-membership-faq/

Shell often gets overloaded so you don't always hear back straight away, the first indication though is when the NSW Club Member status appears under your name and you get access to the additional forum.

Not to mention, SAU NSW is having a hard enough time finding 5 people to stand to be the elected committee that is needed by CAMS to be able to run the club... Imagine how well SAU ACT would go...

Perhaps out there. When you see a Skyline you drop an SAU card under the wiper blade.

So many on the road in the ACT and so few on this forum.

There is a renewed enthusiasm within the ACT at the moment but it has to be sustained.

We can continue to act like an ACT club and just be under the banner of NSW, as we currently are.

BUT we have to get out there, and more often, attend organised events and start planning/executing more of our own events.

IF YOU WANT MORE THEN DO MORE................

you cant wait for others to do it for you - Message received ????

• Like 1

Large Country Town is still Country Town...

"hey! we're just too smaaaaall to make a fuss about it"...

In the time since I first signed up to SAU (2nd December 2010), the ACT section has definately started to Grow, which is really cool but...

There isn't enough of us yet... :(

yet...