SAU Community

HOWTO: RB25DET High Boost mode with standard solenoid

paulr33

did this mod other day couldnt relle fell much difference... tryed tapping my ground but couldnt hear much coz of engin noise... i cut the black wire, the one that goes back down that tube casing got grounded. the other end just got taped of. is this correct? cheers

That sounds right... check your ground. I am in the middle of this mod' on a series 2 stagea myself so will let you know what ground I used if it works...

Edit: Just did this mod' and it definitely works :thumbsup: Can hear the turbo making noise at just over 2,000 rpm. I did exactly the same as in the pictures from here

Note that the wires at the top of the plug in that picture which are taped are the wires going to the actual solenoid itself (where the two vacuum hoses connect also :D ) Earth the black wire on the end which is connected to the solenoid, not the plug like I did first time 'round :D

Edited by DaveB

• 2 weeks later...
Where is this boost controller solenoid located under the bonnet of a Stag?

:P

Directly behind the airbox mate. :D

I can take pictures for you if you get stuck, PM me. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I did this mod yesterday.

Cut the Black wire from the solinoid and ran it to earth. If you turn your ignition on (without engine running) you can hear the solinoid "click" as you tap the Black wire on an earth point.

before a cheap Supercheap guage showed about 7psi and with the mod 9+psi

I am getting a fluctuation or missfire somewhere around 5000rpm then it clears and pulls to 7000rpm. Not realy the same every time either so I will pull plugs out and check the gap as Duncan mentioned above.

Did this last week too.

The mod worked so well that I put in a ECU relay and switch so I can turn it on in 2nd otherwise I don't get off the line :D

Even then 2nd and 3rd still spin a little.

For those that asked, heres the wire, ignore the red circle, was for another thread :)

boostwire.jpg

The yellow line is where i extended my wire to earth, there was a nice bare nut under the guard there. Thought it as easy as anywhere. Stuck a crimp eye on the end, and put a bolt in it. Done!

EDIT: Earth the BLACK wire! Leave the white one be. (hey thought id mention it, you just never know!)

Edited by gotRICE?

I did this mod yesterday.

Cut the Black wire from the solinoid and ran it to earth. If you turn your ignition on (without engine running) you can hear the solinoid "click" as you tap the Black wire on an earth point.

before a cheap Supercheap guage showed about 7psi and with the mod 9+psi

I am getting a fluctuation or missfire somewhere around 5000rpm then it clears and pulls to 7000rpm. Not realy the same every time either so I will pull plugs out and check the gap as Duncan mentioned above.

New set of plugs gapped to 0.8mm fixed the problem.

I accidently had the bottom vac hose off the solinoid for a run around the block... it boosted to 15psi or more and hit a fuel cut or something... scared me a little as i didn't want to damage anything.

did this a couple of days ago, pretty easy. Makes a joke of my 245's on the rear.

Just got my exhaust done as well hittin round 9-9.5psi now. Think i will have to put a switch in,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If i had a full turbo back exhaust and pod filter in conjunction with this mod on my R33 GTS-T, would it be safe to say that the boost would be around 9-10psi all the time? Thus making my yearning to up the boost to 10psi or so with a boost controller redundant? Im sorry, I dont know a lot about these turbo things you young chaps speak of...

Just did the mod today, was a little worried as I'm pretty new to all this but it's really so damn easy and boy does it make a difference while driving normally!

Highly Recommend just go do it already it's free and so damn easy!

If i had a full turbo back exhaust and pod filter in conjunction with this mod on my R33 GTS-T, would it be safe to say that the boost would be around 9-10psi all the time? Thus making my yearning to up the boost to 10psi or so with a boost controller redundant? Im sorry, I dont know a lot about these turbo things you young chaps speak of...

yeah should do, mine doesn't quite hit 10 but close to it (with similar mods)

also, has anyone put a switch in with a triple throw, ie. earthed, earthed to cpu (stock) and open circuit? Was just going to put in a double throw

but driving in the rain today gave me the the triple throw idea. lol

matt

Hmm, been testing and driving around more and I notice (according to the stock boost gauge) my boost goes about 1 to 1 and half needle widths above the half way mark (between 0-7) is my car getting too much boost now?

I recently got the car, it is completely stock except for a K&N Pod Filter I installed recently.

• 1 month later...

Can i possibly ask where everyone is grounding the wire to.

And if anyone has put in a switch can you post up some pics of how you have done it and how you have wired your switch up. Cause i tried this one the weekend. i cut the blacks wire, then soldered a new wire to on both cut ends then covered with heat shrink, then ran the wire into the cabin. then soldered the two wires to the switch. with the solenoid one in the middle, ecu and ground on the side. can some one tell me if i have done something wrong, cause i have no idea. i checked every little detail, but its got me scratching my head. Please help???

wouldnt raising the boost eventually fry the stock turbo cos its ceramic it wud f*#k up wouldnt it? if doing it will it reach +7 on boost gauge (14psi) or lower atm mine just reaches the 3 1/4 mark on the stock boost gauge i wanna do this mod but i dont want to kill my turbo thats last thing i need haha

Yes too much boost kills the turbo.

If you have a standard car, then this doesn't put it into the too much boost region...

12 psi is considered safe. I run 10.