SAU Community

O2 sensor

JaFF

I'm just about to do that, too... In my Berlina, it was just a case of splicing into, or making an in-line adapter from the sensor wire, then hooking up positive and negative power.

On the Skyline, there are three cables for the oxy sensor, use the single wire that is not the same colour as the other two. I think it is white, with two blacks for the heater. I just bloody changed mine, and I can't remember the colours!

OK, so for my O2 update;

Just put in the NGK recommended sensor, which has the right plug on the harness.

When I run SRTalk with my consult cable, the O2 readings aren't jumping all over the place like the ROX207 one did.

I will have to see if it still does that after getting quite hot, and i'll let you know my fuel economy (Stan, don't miss it!).

I summarised all the part numbers for O2 sensors from a non-current version of FAST in http://www.pcug.org.au/~jdeakins/facts.html

There are:

two part numbers for the 08/93 to 11/93 R33 RB25DET, 

two part numbers for the 11/93 to 01/96 and 01/96 to 11/97, and

two part numbers for the 11/97 onwards.

Noice website. Was there any explanatory notes for the parts? Sometimes parts get deprecated, hence more than one part number.

• 3 weeks later...

ok, ive just read through this whole thread and lots of very interesting info. thanx to all.

i curently am getting no more than 250km to a full tank, and its been this way for over a year.

im talking 250km max, average 200, 210.

anyway, im convinced after reading this its my 02 sensor. im gonna go pick one up in a n hour or so.

only thing im not usre about is what to do because i have an apexi power fc and not the stock ecu. i heard that the ecu requires resetting but this is not possible with the pfc.

can i just change the sensor and let the pfc take care of it self? as i cant afford to take it to get tuned again.

thanx in advance.

ps: im going for the ngk sensor, if i can find it.

AutoOne can order them in for you, using the code from the NGK website. As a few people pointed out, your sensor may not be dead, and I suspect that is the deal in my case.

I wanted to change it anyway, as it looked to be the original unit. I haven't touched the sparkies yet.

I get 350 to a tank now, pretty consistantly... so... slight improvement? I think it'd be interesting to know what most other people without a problem get to a tank. A couple in this thread said 400-500 per tank... but is that normal? What size tank? Which fuel and what mods?

AutoOne can order them in for you, using the code from the NGK website. As a few people pointed out, your sensor may not be dead, and I suspect that is the deal in my case.

I wanted to change it anyway, as it looked to be the original unit. I haven't touched the sparkies yet.

I get 350 to a tank now, pretty consistantly... so... slight improvement? I think it'd be interesting to know what most other people without a problem get to a tank. A couple in this thread said 400-500 per tank... but is that normal? What size tank? Which fuel and what mods?

well i just got back from repco and they reduced the price for me of the ngk one to $100, orginally $159 they said. anyway, it'll be in tomorrow.

for the record my mods are:

3" exhaust turbo back

apexi power fc

dual boost controller (btween 7 and 14 psi)

pod filter

front mount cooler

and no cat

i am still waiting to hear if my pfc will pick up that the 02 sensor is new, or if their is anything i need to do.

I phoned Petroject yesterday and was told that a universal 3 wire O2 sensor was $105 plus tax. I quoted the part number 23011 as skypy12 said early on but the guy didn't seem to be able to find it.

I went in today to buy it, but the guys working there didn't know who I spoke to and so I had to start all over again. I said the guy had told me about a universal fitting one but the new guy said that they were all different and he had no definite one for an R33 GTS-t. He brought out a couple of which one he was fairly sure would fit and I tested my memory of the old plug (which was still in the car at home).

Through my memory of the old plug I worked out that it was the large thread, zirconia, male plug, with 2 white wires and one black. The only other possible one he brought out (3 wire, large thread) was titania and I therefore deduced for a GTR, so that made me doubly sure I had the right one. I got the medium length cable version because that's what he brought out, but I'm fairly sure that the short length one will be fine (it was what my old one is anyway).

The part number on the end of the box was 23109, so perhaps the 23011 above is just the short cabled version. If in doubt just take a look at both and compare and see if they're otherwise the same, and you can get either one. This for a '95 R33 GTS-t anyway. The biggest disappointment was price, it was $160, although only $110 trade, so if possible get your mechanic mate to pick one up! I think maybe the $115 one I was quoted on the phone wasn't an NGK, or the extra few cm of wire cost $45 (!?) Or maybe he accidentally quoted me the trade price (which would have made it $5 more expensive... hmm)

I also spoke to the guy about some rumours I've seen around both here and elsewhere. He said that you don't really need a factory sensor to get the best efficiency, because they are all very close in tolerance, and almost all of them are made by one of three OEM's anyway. They being Delco, NGK/NTK, or Bosch. If you wanted the "closest" one to factory spec, then get the same brand that made the factory one I suppose. The guy said that NGK was probably the best quality brand, but they sell all three brands aforementioned. I don't think it matters at all unless you're running a completely stock Skyline, which very few of us are!

Last weekend I drove my R32 GTR from Canberra to Sydney then back.

I was using Optimax and was driving carefully but not slowly - I wanted to see what sort of economy I could get. I managed:

11.54 L / 100km (20.38mpg) on the way to Sydney (downhill), then

12.06 L / 100km (19.51mpg) on the way back.

That's still not as good as a Commodore :O, but it works out to be just on 700 km per tank of 80 litres.

I normally get around 400 km driving around town, but fill before the light goes on.

I phoned Petroject yesterday and was told that a universal 3 wire O2 sensor was $105 plus tax. I quoted the part number 23011 as skypy12 said early on but the guy didn't seem to be able to find it.

I went in today to buy it, but the guys working there didn't know who I spoke to and so I had to start all over again. I said the guy had told me about a universal fitting one but the new guy said that they were all different and he had no definite one for an R33 GTS-t. He brought out a couple of which one he was fairly sure would fit and I tested my memory of the old plug (which was still in the car at home).

Through my memory of the old plug I worked out that it was the large thread, zirconia, male plug, with 2 white wires and one black. The only other possible one he brought out (3 wire, large thread) was titania and I therefore deduced for a GTR, so that made me doubly sure I had the right one. I got the medium length cable version because that's what he brought out, but I'm fairly sure that the short length one will be fine (it was what my old one is anyway).

The part number on the end of the box was 23109, so perhaps the 23011 above is just the short cabled version. If in doubt just take a look at both and compare and see if they're otherwise the same, and you can get either one. This for a '95 R33 GTS-t anyway. The biggest disappointment was price, it was $160, although only $110 trade, so if possible get your mechanic mate to pick one up! I think maybe the $115 one I was quoted on the phone wasn't an NGK, or the extra few cm of wire cost $45 (!?) Or maybe he accidentally quoted me the trade price (which would have made it $5 more expensive... hmm)

I also spoke to the guy about some rumours I've seen around both here and elsewhere. He said that you don't really need a factory sensor to get the best efficiency, because they are all very close in tolerance, and almost all of them are made by one of three OEM's anyway. They being Delco, NGK/NTK, or Bosch. If you wanted the "closest" one to factory spec, then get the same brand that made the factory one I suppose. The guy said that NGK was probably the best quality brand, but they sell all three brands aforementioned. I don't think it matters at all unless you're running a completely stock Skyline, which very few of us are!

Just hop on the ngk website and search the database for the factory 02 sensor. They are around $100 and should be in stock or can be ordered in a day or two. The NTK ones fit perfectly and work great.

• 2 weeks later...

DO NOT USE THE OZA23-D2 sensor!! That is the FORD EL one (despite plenty of 'it works' in here)

I've been running one on my r32 for a couple of months, and it simply doesn't work as it should.. voltages at warm sit at 1.35v which is NOT the factory. While sure your car will sure, run, its next to useless as its not behaving like it should.

Its actually worse than having your oxygen sensor completely disconnected, where it goes into "limp" mode and sits at 0.3v... and the ecu just acts in failsafe for closed loop operation.

Checked all this via the consult connector and my laptop.. so I've only recently been able to check properly.

You've been warned..

DO NOT USE THE OZA23-D2 sensor!! That is the FORD EL one (despite plenty of 'it works' in here)

I've been running one on my r32 for a couple of months, and it simply doesn't work as it should.. voltages at warm sit at 1.35v which is NOT the factory. While sure your car will sure, run, its next to useless as its not behaving like it should.

Its actually worse than having your oxygen sensor completely disconnected, where it goes into "limp" mode and sits at 0.3v... and the ecu just acts in failsafe for closed loop operation.

Checked all this via the consult connector and my laptop.. so I've only recently been able to check properly.

You've been warned..

I used one of those in my redtop rb20dets in my R31 and the car wouldnt even idle below 1500, misfired, no power below 3. Once you put the boot into it it was fine but yeah had to unplug it straight away. Im pretty sure the earlier redtop sensors are a different type to the EL ones as the EL one was white white black and the stocko one was red black and white.

well i just got back from repco and they reduced the price for me of the ngk one to $100, orginally $159 they said. anyway, it'll be in tomorrow.

for the record my mods are:

3" exhaust turbo back

apexi power fc

dual boost controller (btween 7 and 14 psi)

pod filter

front mount cooler

and no cat

i am still waiting to hear if my pfc will pick up that the 02 sensor is new, or if their is anything i need to do.

Thanks for the info. How many k's to a 50L tank do you get before the plug-change? I'm lucky to hit anywhere near 400km's in a pretty stock R33. I only get close to 400 if I do a LOT of highway driving.

I've read all 21 pages and unless I missed something I didn't see the confirmed info that I need.

For an R32 GTS-T w/RB20DET, could someone please tell me some "FACTS" regarding O2 Sensor part number, price and place of purchase ?? I want one that is a direct replacement.

EG.

Brand: NTK, P/No. OZA395-E2, Buy at REPCO, $145

Thanks.

yes, Nissan does. Don't be lazy

Gee thanks..... Your helpfullness is astounding !! And I'm not lazy, It's just a lot easier to call up & quote a part number than it is to get them to go look it up. If anyone asked a similar question I'd be ( and HAVE been ) happy to provide any info I could.

Thanks to those who have PM'd me with the part number !!

For those of you who might need this info in the future it is:

O2 Sensor to suit R32 GTS-T w/RB20DET is NISSAN P/No. 22690-73L11

I've called NISSAN and I believe there are none of these in Aus so I'm going to order one from Japan.