SAU Community

Turbo Choice - 2 Litre Straight Six - Non Nissan

eightsixboy

Hi all,

Thought I'd ask the knowledgeable people on SAU this.

I looking for a good turbo for a Toyota 2 litre straight six (1GGTE). Basically chasing 220rwkw + without excessive lag. I would just buy a 2530 but don't really trust second hand turbo's, especially when new ones are cheap.

I have narrowed it down to the Kinugawa TD05 18G and the TD06 SL2 18G.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271264269898?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281156507798?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Basically I'm looking at turbo's that would normally be used on an RB20.

What do you guys think?

I assume you are going T3/external wastegate setup? I'd go a Kinugawa TD05-16G - much better spool and response than the 18G and well capable of 220rwkw, there is virtually no difference in flow potential between the two compressors.

We definitely had issues with boost creep with an internally gated Kando TD05-16G on an SR20DET, but it was easily fixed with a bit of porting - the OEM Mitsubishi TD05s even had the same issue if you opened the exhaust up too much. I think OEM Supra and RX7 turbos can have the same issues as well, even some HKS internally gated turbos have been known to boost creep... its not that unusual with an internally gated turbo unfortunately.

Here is are dyno plots for the 16G I tuned on a stock SR20DET, just did some porting to the wastegate port:

ELL581-Power.jpg

ELL581-Boost.jpg

They might work fine on the stock map, but wind them up to maximum flow and all the flaws become evident.

Internal gates have never been a great design and generally flow like crap, as well as upsetting the main exhaust flow through the turbo. BW has taken a step in the right direction with the efr but at nearly twice the length not many of us have the room for one. A hidden external gate off the housing is the best option imo.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know what to do now :yucky: .

As I'm going to be fabricating the dump and manifold myself I guess I should go external gate then, I just don't want to go through the extra expense and hassle of it if at a lowish power level of say 220rwkw it makes no difference between IG and EG.

Because the stock twins are only good for 190rwkw max, even then I have only seen 1 car make that on the stock twins, most make 170-180.

I would like 230rwkw or so, figured I would upgrade to something that would make that power pretty easily and have the potential to make alot more if I want to later down the track. No point chasing 270rwkw or more now as the stock motor wont handle that, and to be honest I would like to just get the best out of stockish motor.

Cost wise it would end up been a lot more expensive getting the twins highflowed, I would guess around $1500+ to do both? That plus dump pipe fab, it'll end up costing about the same as going single.

HKS made a 'highflow' version of the stock turbo's but they apparently are only good for low 200's, so not exactly a massive improvement over the stock ones.

Plus the whole tiny CT12 twin setup is so nasty on those things. The exhaust manifolds are nasty, the turbos are nasty, the dumps are nasty. A single with modern aero and some room to install a decent manifold and dump would have to be umpty bazzillion times better.