SAU Community

The Frankinstien Twin Turbo Thread

Do FP do a bolt on for the RB26 based setups ? If so then that would be the way to go for sure but as far as I was aware only OD did a 68HTA bolt on, another reason I started this thread was to get this sort of info

I would expect a lot more then 20-30hp going from a 60mm GT wheels to the 68HTAs, granted it will spool slower but that's a trade off you have to have when going bigger wheels to make extra power :(

The 68HTA is probably not ideal for a 2.6 but 2.8 or like me a 3.0 they would be quiet nice, especially as a bolt on upgrade

OD buy their turbos from FP.. so from my understanding they are the same. And your right, the stroker engine can take the bigger wheels just fine. but on my RB26, its not ideal if i want to give any spool form my actual setup -5 ( i sometimes miss the response of the my gt-ss lol). I gotta look more into those 2 differents compressor wheels from turbo direct and kinuwaga. at 60mm, they could maybe match closely the performance of the gtx2860

Basicly both option I showed feature a 'drop-in'' billet wheel. Difference being one is from kinuwaga and one from turbodirect ( My gut feeling tells me I have more trust in turbodirect a direct dealer of garrett than a chinese knock-off)

kinugawa is actually Japanese, I've seen a lot of their 3582 wheels used in the xr6t turbochargers with some fantastic results.

You basically end up with a turbo that makes the power of an f6 turbo and responds like an xr6 turbo

I have been looking through the Kando eBay shop and noticed the wheel they list for the GT2860r has the smaller size inducer for the stock turbos so when looking at them make sure of the measurements in the specs :thumbsup:

Oh thanks, I will look into it. Turbodirect returned my PM and said it was 1250$us for the wheel fitted to a brand new gt2860. Not a bad considering the labour needed to fit the Kando wheels will most likely be around 200$ too.

Another option... Anyone heard of COMP turbos and their triplex ball bearing ? They ask 1200$ per turbo.

http://compturbo.com/products/turbos/ct2turbo/billet/ct2-4747

Here's their reply when asked for a gt2860 replacement :

Option 1
CT2 Billet 47/60 / Turbine wheel 53.90 choice of .64 or .86 Turbine housing
-Triple ceramic ball bearing
-15% More air flow due to billet
-fully rebuild able and upgradeable
--Lightweight turbine wheel
-1 year warranty
Price: 1199.00
Option 2
CT2 51/68 Turbine wheel 53.90 choice of .64 or .86 Turbine housing
-Triple ceramic ball bearing
-fully rebuild able and upgradeable
-Lightweight turbine wheel
-1 year warranty
Price: 1199.00

hank you for inquiry on our turbochargers. We do offer a Direct replacement for a GT2860 We offer it in both 360 Thrust bearing or our triplex ceramic ball bearing option.
Compressor wheel we offer both billet and cast.
All of our gt28 direct replacement are offered with lightweight turbine wheel to reduce turbo lag.

I have in my head they have a poor reliability record, though I could be wrong or that could be out of date info - look into it at least

Possible,, i found very little info about these.. at least, mounted on RBs.

I'm REALLY leaning toward the turbos direct billet upgrade.

So that $1250us is that per or for a twin

per.. bran dnew gt2860 goes for about 1000us so they ask about 250$ premium to have it installed. ( considering kando wheels is 150us , its like asking 100$ to have it installed).

Lol, I read that wrong, so $1250 is for a new GT2860 WITH the Billet wheel fitted :thumbsup:

Yes sir! I'M tempting to do it.. however, im waiting on the verdict of my mechanic as to either or not, my turbo are at fault.

Edited by cobrAA

On different setups, I ran the GTX2860's with the stock anti surge front housings with welded on flanges in my 2.8. In short they come on boost later than a 2860-5. They are quieter though.

I switched to 2860-5's with brass bearing cages made and fitted by me :)

I like the 'feeling' -5's better, but the GTX series has silicone nitride bearings (stops metal depositing and galling) and metal cages plus the billet wheel (that is great for running over 27psi...E85)

Apparently the 'racepace special' is pretty good, they get a 2860-9 turbo and fit a -5 exhaust housing for less restriction in the higher boost/rpm ranges without sacrificing too much down low.

Wish I had a chance to do this when I had my -9's...

On different setups, I ran the GTX2860's with the stock anti surge front housings with welded on flanges in my 2.8. In short they come on boost later than a 2860-5. They are quieter though.

I switched to 2860-5's with brass bearing cages made and fitted by me :)

I like the 'feeling' -5's better, but the GTX series has silicone nitride bearings (stops metal depositing and galling) and metal cages plus the billet wheel (that is great for running over 27psi...E85)

I'm suprised by this result sean. say, the response is the same but power top end slightly improved would make sens but the fact that the gtx was slower to spool. do you have a clue as to why is that ??

On a RB28, someone posted here his midrange improved by close to 100whp and spool was pretty much the same, if im not mistaken.