SAU Community

R34 Gtt Brake Improvement Without Breaking The Bank

V28VX37

How you finding your setup after a month mate?

Just normal driving so far, the Remsa pads have a touch more bite and are a bit dustier than the Intimas I had before but other than that there's no massive difference to be honest. I need to take the car out for a proper drive to see how they hold up in repeat heavy use.

Re the anti-squeal shims, the ones on my GTR have two thin plates which sort of clip together, whereas i notice in your pix there's only one. So, GTT owners, should he have one or two plates per pad?

You're right there are two shims, the inner ones (pictured) are full size and the outer ones are half size (diagonally cut). The photos above are of the inner shims only.

• 1 month later...

Quick update, I was really enjoying my Remsa pads (rated 650 degrees) with DBA T3 Club Spec rotors at Sandown on Saturday.

I've got some issues with my brake booster but otherwise it's a great setup, no significant fade and no strange vibrations.

Mine were fine for 10k kms, now they are squealing also!

I think i'll just ignore it, I just tell myself it's a racecar.

try using brake shim grease, it's red in colour but I can't remember the name.. apply that to the shims & backside of the pad.. usually stops squealing for a while.. however once you hit the track it will squeal again..

If it's purely a street car, I believe you might be able to get away with it

try using brake shim grease, it's red in colour but I can't remember the name.. apply that to the shims & backside of the pad.. usually stops squealing for a while.. however once you hit the track it will squeal again..

If it's purely a street car, I believe you might be able to get away with it

It only sees the track every couple of months, I did grease the shims + pins etc. Not too bothered by it but I think I'll look into different pads next time I need some :)

Yeah I read several reports about A1RM squealing and went with the Remsas. They are quite dusty but I chose to take that over noise :)

A1RMs are also dusty! Maybe I'll look into Remsas as dust doesn't bother me in the slightest.

• 1 year later...

Some more recent updates:

1. Front Brake Disc Discolouration On The Inside
  2. Post Track Day Q's: Rotor Wear, Gearbox Oil, Ps Pump, Manifold Nuts
  3. Largest Brakes Under R34 Gtt Stock 17" Wheels?

About 15,000 km and three track days later I'm still running the original setup as per this thread, with minor updates:

• Just had all rotors machined and fresh Remsa pads put on.
  • Half shims removed to address uneven pad wear (2), this seems to have improved pedal feel also
  • Heat shields removed on the inside (1), interesting to see if that cools down the rotors better on the track

I'm keen to add some ducting at some stage if I can find some decent backing plates that don't cost a fortune...

My A1RMs are silent after initial bed in and subsequent squealing (roughened the surface and bedded it in again).

Aren't the Resma pads rated lower then A1RM?

Yep A1RMs probably perform a touch better but have been reported to chew rotors.

Remsas are 650C temp rating, A1RM are 780C.

My a1rm's are also pretty quiet. They do start to squeal a bit after a track day but then settle down again after a few days of street driving. quite dusty though.

I've never seen anything as dusty as the Remsa, they start dusting if you as much as glance at them.. I'm fully expecting to find a little ants nest of dust next to the rims each morning.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know who might be able to supply cooling duct brackets to suit the R34 front hubs, to channel air into the inside centre of the disc to feed the veins? The OEM heat shields have been cut off.

I'm imagining something similar to this UAS Evo 6 kit - even a generic one might do:

20125715427.jpg

On 4/21/2016 at 10:47 AM, V28VX37 said:

Yep A1RMs probably perform a touch better but have been reported to chew rotors.

Remsas are 650C temp rating, A1RM are 780C.

I highly doubt the A1RM are rated up to 780 deg. C.. if so why the heck do they crumble like a cookie on the track and the likes of Intima SR and Project MU HC+ / HC800 pull up fine - and both are rated much lower.

I just finished off my first set of a1rm at Winton yesterday. Copped solid abuse for six sessions from start to finish, no cool down laps, last session was 10 laps and best lap of the day was on that lap. Pads where 50% at start of the day, didn't crumble but wore them right down. The rears where qfm hpx and they didn't like that treatment, they ended on just about metal on metal. In saying all that, at more demanding tracks like sandown, I don't think they will go too well. They are ok for the not so serious track car but it's the old saying, you get what you pay for and since I got another set for $60 for the front, I have put another set on the front. I measured the disc and compared to the measurement I took when they originally went on and the wear was 0.6mm. I thought that was ok. 4 track days, 1 set of pads, 1 set of tyres and 0.6mm of disc. Budget racing brah[emoji3]

• Like 1