SAU Community

Worth Buying Forged Gtr?

Hi all,

I'm currently in the market for a good R32 GTR. Most rebuilt vehicles having forged pistons, rods, racing bearings tend to go for around $20-22k, while cars with stock internals can go from $15-16k.

I'd be happy with around 300kw atw and the car will only be used as a weekender; never planning to track it. Is it worth forking out the extra $5-6 for something with forged internals in my case?

Cheers

It's quite easily worth forking out 5-6k for a well built all round car. A forged engine doesn't always align itself With a quality car.

Like stated above if 5-6k worries you then maybe it's not the right choice, the more you cheap out with these things the more it will

Cost you in the long run.

"The poor man pays twice"

• Like 1

The answer is yes, but not because it has forged pistons. It is worth paying extra for a car that has been competently reconditioned reasonably recently and for which there is evidence in the form of receipts, dyno sheets, maybe a compression test, road test and examination by someone who knows what to look for. If you can get a well looked after car then its is likely that the clutch is good, brakes and suspension have been properly maintained etc. GTR owners will tell you that they are money pits and if you can avoid expensive repairs soon after purchase so much the better.

• Like 1

Its a GTR, expect it to cost money!

I'd be more concerned about getting a car without rust than one with a built motor. Engines can be replaced but rust had a tendency get worse before you realise that its really bad.

Hi all,

I'm currently in the market for a good R32 GTR. Most rebuilt vehicles having forged pistons, rods, racing bearings tend to go for around $20-22k, while cars with stock internals can go from $15-16k.

I'd be happy with around 300kw atw and the car will only be used as a weekender; never planning to track it. Is it worth forking out the extra $5-6 for something with forged internals in my case?

Cheers

I think when you talk about forged internals you really just mean a rebuilt motor. Yeah sure most people use forged pistons as they are cheap these days but for 300kW there is nothing wrong with Nissans pistons. In fact their ring package has much to recommend itself.

Anyway old story: Buy a nice one. If it has a rebuilt motor, good. If it doesnt thats fine too. But buy the car, not the spec.

• Like 2

looks nice enough...do a proper compression test as a minimum....get underneath it and check all suspension bushes and diff bushes etc....check structure for rust...also check chassis rails for damage (common for them to be jacked up off the chassis rail)