SAU Community

About To Do Something Stupid Gtr R32 With Vr38dett

Hey Guys

before you all tell me this is stupid and impossible, i already know im an idiot, my wife reminds me every day

money is not a problem, im definitely not rich but i can afford to spend a bit on this project

i have a R32 GTR, i wanted to do a build and lots of the local tuners were not happy to work on stroked RB30s, they say they will not hold the low end torque im looking for

they say the crank girdle will blow out, regardless, ive given up on that idea and instead of just building the RB26 i wanted to see how silly i could be

i found a local guy who has a VR38 for sale, im happy to pay the price he is asking 22K (complete engine turbos diff loom intercoolers)

i found a guy who will make the adapter plate for the bell housing and engine to fit together

i found a ECU to get it running (HALTECH)

i found a experienced tech guy to fit the ECU

i found a guy who will make me the custom drive shafts needed, and the front end "tail shaft"

i found the 2 throttle bodies that i need to make this work (it needs to be a cable system)

my question is, has anybody done this, i searched and only found a 200sx, but no skylines

i would love to hear from someone with experience in this area, im sure this has been attempted before

i cant be the only idiot

Someones done it with s15, clearance issues with the bonnet though. ( custom bonnet)
Your main problem is clearance between struts.

The vr is a very wide engine.

vq conversions might help a little
http://www.build-threads.com/build-threads/vq35hr-r32-skyline/

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=346234

Edited by jay-rod

Someones done it with s15, clearance issues with the bonnet though. ( custom bonnet)

Your main problem is clearance between struts.

The vr is a very wide engine.

vq conversions might help a little

http://www.build-threads.com/build-threads/vq35hr-r32-skyline/

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=346234

I can't see how VQ conversions would help, they're a very compact engine, the vq30det is quite small

Biggest hurdle will be turning the front wheels with that engine, if it even fits in the engine bay.

Edit: When I said hurdle I really meant clusterf*ck. Even making it work as a 2wd would be difficult and pointless enough.

Edited by colourclassic

If he has the money, that should not be a hurdle.
There will be alot of fabrication, and im sure he knows this, obviously its not a simple drop in, and getting rid of awd most likely needs to be done.

Cant put a man down for having a dream, hell if he can do it, id be very impressed and jealous.

The task of aligning the engine's front driveshafts laterally, longitudinally and vertically to meet the GT-R's half shafts, while making the engine and transmission fit would be hard enough. Then you have to consider front diff ratios most likely being different to the Rb26's, meaning custom crown and pinion ratios etc blah blah $$$$$$$

Has the OP ever been in a RB30 powered Skyline? Or even a running RB26? Why do you seem to need more power/torque than pretty much every other Skyline owner ever?

Edited by colourclassic

Maybe he wants to be different?
I doubt he can keep awd with a conversion like this anyway>

RB30s arnt the most ...realiable...

You would have to put alot of trust in the builder.

Edited by jay-rod

Maybe he wants to be different?

I doubt he can keep awd with a conversion like this anyway>

Maybe he should've bought an R32 Gts instead then.

RB30s arnt the most ...realiable...

You would have to put alot of trust in the builder.

RB30's are the most reliable. What would make them unreliable?

You would hope when spending thousands of dollars on an engine that the builder would know what he is doing. It's their job.

If he can pull it off it would be awesome, but it seems like a huge amount of money and time wasted, when there are proven options available which have been done time and time again, with good results and at lower costs. Chuck a Turbo LS into it if you want big RWD power and low-end torque. It will cost a quarter of the VR38.

Edited by colourclassic

Ive heard of horror stories with rb25/30s

And personally know someone that has had....problems......

That said, if its built properly it should be fine :P

Upto choice really, if he wants it just for tourqe...then yes...bad idea.
But if he wants it to be different and unique, i say go for it!

Edited by jay-rod

Vq and Vr are nearly the same engine.

Would be a great swap to see, especially if you can keep the AWD, but I would just stroke a Stagea VQ35 to 4.3L before wasting all that cash on a Vr38.

What is the problem with the electronic throttles? The newer Haltechs run the twin dbw throttles.

The rear ratio would be fair simple as there is a Fark load of different ones as nearly every RWD nissan has one, even the Navara

Fark the Haltech, look into the Syvecs S8, it is hell expensive but does drive the drive by wire throttles and will never need upgrading

This is something I have contemplated for my R32 when/if the 34 ever gets "finished", lol as if

Look up the MotoIQ time attack R32 GTR, it has one in it with a Holinger

wow thats a lot of info

well ok,

it HAS to be AWD or its not worth it,

the diff ratios are the easy part, and CV joints are much more forgiving than people think,

the diff and hubs can be misaligned a bit and work fine, the whole point of the CV is the flexible transfer of the power, they have a range they can work with

the biggest question is will it fit, so jay-rod is right, we have to get the tape measure out

and i think people forget the "waste of time/money" expression was used before, on people who wanted to get 1000hp out of a 2.6L

and now guys are doing that all day every day.

in my mind a car with the same engine as a R35 but 200-300 kgs lighter is a MASSIVE incentive

just a small increase in boost on the stock engine some tuning and we might crack 10 seconds

and the engine would be relaxed and comfy so it will last longer,

then if it worked, a big IF, people would know that its possible and try other interesting builds

Interesting idea. But what is actually making you want to do it, over say, an RB30 stroker? Spend the extra cash on a dry sump..... Build it properly and it will be fine.

if i am going to do up and engine it would have to be the vr38 its the easiest to get stupid amounts of power from

the VR38 engine is happy pumping out 500 HP all day every day on stock internals, some even say it can be pushing 600hp at the wheels

it comes on boost very quickly

has VVT and all the modern crap that will let it smoke other cars off the line

i want a very usable car that is a monster street racer

the GOAL, the aim of the project is to beat 1000cc motorcycles like the CBR1000RR

my mate is getting smug and needs to be taken down a peg

the reason im looking at this engine, it has a integrated front diff already in the right spot

and if we want to do any stroking and forging, 12k can buy me a 4.6L stroker kit

that amount of low down torque would make any motorbikes i race fall over with fear on the start line

Do it!

I would do alot of planning before buying anything though, that way if you find something that will screw you over.

Read over the Vq thread on his conversion, will give you alot of info and his issues.

You will most likely need to fabricate new exhaust manifolds,.