SAU Community

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum :action-smiley-069: Please excuse me if my post is long and boring. Or if the question has been asked before.

So like the title says, how do I get close to the stock sound with new (non-stock) parts? Saying that I have no trust for old used stock parts.

Basically, I want to hear mostly the engine, not the fart cannon. But at high revs, can go all out. AND I DON'T WANT A LOUD IDLE SOUND :angry: Any specific parts you guys can suggest? From the manifold down to the tailpipe, list me some parts :yes: I wanna hear everybody's suggestions or opinions.

I'm currently listing down parts (along with their codes) for an R32 project I have planned (stock look, stock to above-stock performance, and discrete sound)

Candidates: Varex, HKS Silent Hi-power

Some factors in consideration:

-very minimal "low-key" idle sound (least of it, if possible)

-street modest (I don't want to be heard before I am seen)

-not so big tailpipe (size close to stock look)

-medium ground clearance (close to stock clearance)

-I don't mind compromising a little performance (seriously)

Extra questions:

-Can anybody link me a video of the stock R32 exhaust sound? Factory exhaust, not aftermarket

-Please reply? :yes: thanks in advance!

post-140172-0-77228000-1432455224_thumb.jpg

Patience, Grasshopper!

To expect a reply in 28 minutes is extremely impatient. It's not like you can do anything about it until at least tomorrow morning.

While you are waiting, why don't you try a search of these forums.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have an ADM that is 100% stock and a slightly enhanced V-Spec 2 with a 3.5" exhaust with a 5" HKS rear cannon.

I love both but for different reasons.

The original exhaust was 2.75" (Outside Diameter) and very quiet. That said, the JDM rear muffler failed to meet stationary idle ADR limits when the evaluation vehicles were tested in 1990/91. Consequently, Nissan had to modify it further to reduce the noise. The new part number for the 100 Australian delivered cars is/was 20100-J7410.

The larger the exhaust the harder it is to keep it quiet so if you want it nice and quiet, just replicate the original sizing.

I would expect quality muffler shops to guide you in the right direction, just stick to 2.75" with a quiet cat and mufflers.

Sorry but I can't give you any advice on brands.

If the engine is stock then you basically won't hear much except for some injector ticking at idle and the blow off valves doing their bit through gear changes. Stock turbo cars are pretty quiet regardless of the power they can make.

I recently fitted a new rear muffler to a black ADM that I sold a few weeks back. It was the closest thing I could find to stock. Pic attached.

Good luck with your project............... BTW: What state or location are you in?

Bob.

post-78207-0-15465700-1432468255_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi bob! Thanks for the reply. First of all, I'm not from around here.. I'm in the Philippines. I don't have an R32 yet, but I already am saving up for it :D (donn't flame me for this :( )

What's an ADM? Sorry but I wanna be clarified about that.

Nice collection. What models exactly are your Skylines? Like years and such?

And do you mean to say that as long as I replicate the stock sizes, I can be close to stock? Do the pipes (manifold) nearest to the engine block count as well? Or no? I plan to change the timing belt, gaskets, cam pulleys, exhaust manifolds, and intake once I get my hands on one. Will it add noise to the exhaust?

Nice R32 man! Dreamy stock glory \m/ Thanks for the reply too!

Changing exhaust manifolds is a waste of money and time, unless they are damaged to start with. Stay with stock because they are good up to 400kw.

Stock sound is boring and quiet. Find a nice exhaust with a good note and not extremely loud or odd sounding on boost or at idle.

If you are keen on that though, follow what Bob said.

Intake modifications make a difference while the car is under load and you will hear it while you are driving.

ADM stands for Australian Domestic Market, the R32 Gtr had a limited number made for Australia straight from factory as opposed to the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) version where they were exported to Australia meaning they had to go through compliance and such again for Australian law.

• Like 1

@niZmO_Man that combo will make a modest and street decent sound, I presume? :D Isn't 5zigen loud?

@breaker1845 will it be unnecessary to change a 25 year old manifold? I feel that it'll break soon after though..

Well yeah, stock is boring. But what I'm really after is just a discrete low idle note. The kind that you don't hear outside your house so easily (so no one comes out of their houses (staring or complaining) when I pullover for whatever reason).

What would you suggest for a muffler, be it silent or moderate?

Interesting stuff about intakes and ADM. Thanks for clarifying! :D

I've just replaced turbos on a r33 and the stock manifolds were in good condition, however not as old as the r32. Stock manifolds are one of the best for twins because of the type of material used. They can be prone to heat cycles which causes warping and damage depending on life as you said but replacing them for more expensive ones (using different material) that will crack easier seems silly in my opinion. Sourcing a good condition 2nd hand pair if yours are damaged would be what I would do.

You could get an exhaust made up if you wanted, depends how easy it is to do with your location though. The stock exhaust seems too restrictive but quiet. Where as you can buy bolt-on systems that flow better but still are noisy on idle, etc, which is not what you want.

Something a bit bigger than stock, up to 3" maximum and a good muffler or two mufflers will help the most. Having a small diameter will compromise performance but increasing diameter from dumps down and having a good cat will give better flow and reduce emissions (if that is a problem). Then putting on some quality mufflers before the tail end of the exhaust will drop the noise down and keep it quiet on idle.

I don't really have any brand suggestions for mufflers though. You might have to search and see what people recommend.

• Like 1

Do what I did go to your local exhaust shop tell them what you want and they will do it,I kept a twin 3 inch tip

as that's how it came from japan,cops love Milo err cannons. :-)

• Like 1

Hi Quintin,

Welcome to SAU.

There's a guy there in the Philippines (Bohol) who used to own a very potent R32 GT-R here in Australia. His User Name is "portaz" aka Scott.

Whilst SAU.NSW organised the R32 GT-R 25th Anniversary last year, Scott took care of the charity side of things.

He knows a lot about R32 GT-Rs and the mechanics of them. Why not use him as a resource?

This is what we accomplished...

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/444062-s-a-u-celebrates-r32-g-t-r-25th-anniv-part-a-videography/

...and "portaz" is on the 1st page.

• Like 1

@Ben C34 I thought big mufflers cause that loud low idle sound? I don't mind loud, as long as idle is minimal

@Humbla I'll try that once I buy an R32 :D Not a fan of cannons though. Do twin tips look good on an R32? Got a pic of yours?

@Terry_GT-R34 that's awesome, I'll get in touch with him soon. Man it looks so fun there in AU.. If only Ph wasn't so strict with LHD, we may've also been doing skyline anniversary gatherings ourselves too.. Nice work and thanks for the info! :)

@Ben C34 I thought big mufflers cause that loud low idle sound? I don't mind loud, as long as idle is minimal

@Humbla I'll try that once I buy an R32 :D Not a fan of cannons though. Do twin tips look good on an R32? Got a pic of yours?

@Terry_GT-R34 that's awesome, I'll get in touch with him soon. Man it looks so fun there in AU.. If only Ph wasn't so strict with LHD, we may've also been doing skyline anniversary gatherings ourselves too.. Nice work and thanks for the info! :)

No pick I'm old,stainless twin tips look very nice on 32 or 33 imo. :-)
  • Like 1

Hi guys!! So I finally found the most decent and disciplined exhaust out there. It's called the N1 by A'PEXi. It has that not so loud idle sound that I've been looking for, and it isn't too big at all!

Here are some samples:

- R32

- R32 btw what's that techno noise before ignition?

- Prelude

Can anyone share their experience with this muffler? How I should set it up (what should I replace, be it cat, adding a resonator, downpipes)?

And how have you compared it with the HKS Hi Power Silent? All opinions welcome :D

Edited by BogartQ