SAU Community

Blue Slip Woes (sydney)

tangerine001

Hi guys,
I joined up here a few years ago when I used to own an r-33 GTR, this community has been really helpful in the past and obviously has a lot of experienced with modified cars & blue slips. I desperately need advice on my current situation.

I live in Sydney & own a 2000 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX, which I foolishly allowed to run out of rego (wasn't driving it often, money pretty tight), I didn't realise it would be so difficult to get a blue slip for a modified car.

My mechanic down the road quoted me $2250 all up (wtf?) to put it back to stock and do the following work (obviously he's a completely by the book guy, possibly over-quoted as well):

- pedal rubbers (the pedals are aftermarket lol)
- check off valve

- exhaust (its a half system)

- NISIR stop light (not sure what NISIR means, but he said the stop light was out)
- Oil leaks
- Radiator support panel bent (I hit a bump in the road pretty hard about a year back damaged the front lip of the car, so I assume that's what its from)
- Headlight covers (presumably not a big deal)

Where should I take it (around Sydney) and what's the best approach to get a blue slip for the least amount of money possible? The main issues are obviously the exhaust, the check off valve and the bent radiator panel, nothing else seems major. I can't afford to put thousands of dollars into a car that's worth ~5k. That being said the car is reliable and has plenty of years left in it. I also really can't afford a new car either. Is an engineers certificate my only option? Please help!

The brake light is actually n/s/r which is Near Side Rear or passenger side

When I bought my my00 wrx up from Victoria it had a full exhaust and a boost gauge and the blue slip place passed it.

whats a check off valve? (I'm assuming it's a blow of valve), if so I have one you can borrow

If the blow off valve vents to atmosphere, most probably won't pass it.

Borrow a plumb back version from someone.

Unless the exhaust is obnoxiously loud, shouldn't be a problem.

Degrease the oil leaks just before you get it checked, should only fail if it drips onto the ground during the inspection.

Unfortunately, there is no set inspection time, so they technically could leave it for 4hrs and say that was the inspection period.

Most aren't dicks like this.

Take the aftermarket pedal off the brake and reinstall after the check (if they're just the ones that sit over the pedal).

The bent support shouldn't be an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

agreed mate, you are going to have to shop around for blueslip.. I had to transfer my rego from WA to NSW not long ago, went to a couple of blue slip shops and get quoted ridiculous prices.. this is after doing the straight forward stuff myself like plumback BOV, std exhaust, car height.. was picked up on stuff like heater core.. i feel that there is a lot of grey areas needs to be covered in the handbook.. basically if they want to get you done, they can.. best of luck..