SAU Community

Bills 33 Gtst Streeter/track Car

Some more pics of the carnage

IMG_20230925_143532307.thumb.jpg.6cf1052a6e8444e68e9f7cd8e99653bc.jpg

IMG_20230925_143542191.thumb.jpg.3f6e30e312f2a522947e86d5ee1f640d.jpg

IMG_20230925_143535126.thumb.jpg.a5489d8126183108432c000b86a11e04.jpg

I had been saying I felt like I was on borrowed time with this engine. Maybe I should invest in a crystal ball and charge people to tell them their fortunes. Pay for a new engine in no time.

My bro science failure analysis. Looks like a rod bolt let go. Google says this is usually from excessive rpm. I was keeping it to the usual rpm of 7-7200, did hit the 7600 limiter once during the day. My theory is metal fatigue/stress on the bolt from prolonged high rpm/torque/hp over time and that particular bolt reached it's break point yesterday. We can speculate forever but what's done is done. I suppose it was inevitable and just my turn. Ive had a decent run over the last 7-8 years.

Trying to weigh up my options. Obviously this engine is now scrap, I doubt anything will be salvageable. If the head somehow managed to survive, that would be a win.

The options running through my head are

1. Good 2nd hand R33 RB25DET

2. Buy a suit rebuild 25 and have built

3. RB25/30 (would depend on if my head is good)

4. LS not going to happen.

5. Sell car as is complete

6. Part out

Option 1 would be great but as we all know they're pretty hard to come by these days and a good one is almost rocking horse poo. I made some calls today and couldn't find one but apparently the going rate is $30-3500 for a good long block. One bloke reckons he may have 1 in a few weeks, otherwise will be getting some from Japan in the new year.

Obviously a 2nd hand engine is like rolling the dice. Could end up with something that needs rebuild. I don't really feel like playing that game. The more I think about it the more I feel like selling as is would be the best option. I'll happily take 15k for it.

I do have time on my side, so I'll try to be patient. I'd prefer if I could see a 2nd hand engine running and can hear, comp test it. Definitely not buying off some flog on market place with an engine that looks like it was at the bottom of a river for 6 years. 

On 25/09/2023 at 7:08 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Fark... at least you had a good run in it and also used it.

Stock NEO motor going in? (Don't make the mistake of opening it like I did.. Pandora's box dis dat).

I would like to keep things simple, I don't want to have to rewire, retune or touch anything I don't need to. So an R33 RB25DET is the preference. See above post for my concerns, lol. 

On 28/03/2023 at 11:10 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

find a RB25DE NEO (yes no T), keep it as a spare motor, those things take some abuse as well!

So there is one of these things here locally for 1k as a long block. Pretty sure these have 10:1 comp. Wonder if a 33 head is bolted on where comp would end up? If the 33 head would work it could be a good option as the rest of the 33 gear would bolt up. Would just need to sort oil and water feeds and returns.

I've been googling trying to find the cc of the rb25de head but can't find an answer. Not sure if it's same as neo det which is 51.5cc. Anyone know?

I don't really know if the NeoDE head is the same volume as the DET. It could be. It would only take a tiny bit more piston dome to pump the comp up.

I could do a bunch of quick and dirty calcs to come up with speculative numbers for CR with 33 head on NeoDE bottom end, but they'd be about as good as a random number generator.

One thing that is true is that the 33 head on NeoDET bottom end is no damn good. There's an extra 11 or 12 cc in the head, and that's a big drop. If there is any commonality in the NeoDE and DET heads, then the difference is all in the piston and maybe a 33 head on NeoDE block would come out alright. But if the difference is in the head, then....likely be a low compression failure, same as the first sentence in this paragraph.

• Like 1

Or just buy the RB25DE NEO slap on your turbo setup, and send it to the moon.

Solid lifters ftw!

You can transfer your entire intake manifold over onto the NEO motor and only need to redo the plug on the VCT solenoid. Hot side just send the lot across.

Here's the video I saw before,411kW on a DE NEO 😊

• Like 1

So, I can point you towards;

• Block 1. RB25 NA. Missing #1 piston and rod, but what is there is all healthy.
  • Block 2. RB20DET. Ignore.
  • Block 3. RB25DE Neo. As new. Ex Demo, almost zero mileage. No pistons and rods. I have touched the bores in this and they are really virginal. Well, except the one I put my fist into.
  • Block 4. RB25DET. No crank or rods/pistons. Engine number has been XXX'd out.
  • Block 5. RB25DE. Complete with sump and oil pump (I think). Apparently looks very good.

He also has 23 others that he can't get to at the moment, so not clear on the details. There are also multiple R33 heads and one Neo headed 3L. Can put you in touch. All this stuff is in SA.

On 26/09/2023 at 10:50 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Or just buy the RB25DE NEO slap on your turbo setup, and send it to the moon.

Solid lifters ftw!

You can transfer your entire intake manifold over onto the NEO motor and only need to redo the plug on the VCT solenoid. Hot side just send the lot across.

Here's the video I saw before,411kW on a DE NEO 😊

Is it the same for Neo det head, my 33 manifolds bolt straight on? Can I use my 33 cas as well?

On 26/09/2023 at 10:53 AM, GTSBoy said:

So, I can point you towards;

• Block 1. RB25 NA. Missing #1 piston and rod, but what is there is all healthy.
  • Block 2. RB20DET. Ignore.
  • Block 3. RB25DE Neo. As new. Ex Demo, almost zero mileage. No pistons and rods. I have touched the bores in this and they are really virginal. Well, except the one I put my fist into.
  • Block 4. RB25DET. No crank or rods/pistons. Engine number has been XXX'd out.
  • Block 5. RB25DE. Complete with sump and oil pump (I think). Apparently looks very good.

He also has 23 others that he can't get to at the moment, so not clear on the details. There are also multiple R33 heads and one Neo headed 3L. Can put you in touch. All this stuff is in SA.

Yes please, forward me details via pm.

Sounds like an Aladdin's cave of RBs

38 minutes ago, admS15 said:

Is it the same for Neo det head, my 33 manifolds bolt straight on? Can I use my 33 cas as well?

Just use the CAS on the R34 motor, reverse the pins.

So say if on the R33 CAS it's 1 2 3 4, now reverse the pins on the plug so it's 4 3 2 1.

On 26/09/2023 at 11:53 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Just use the CAS on the R34 motor, reverse the pins.

So say if on the R33 CAS it's 1 2 3 4, now reverse the pins on the plug so it's 4 3 2 1.

It's just that the rb25de neo I was looking at doesn't come with the cas, well it's not pictured anyway. So 33 cas is no go then?

So with a proper RB25DET NEO like yours, just in case I come across 1, can R33 intake manifold work? I vaguely remember you had some troubles trying to do that with yours. Refresh my memory please,lol.

Unless you have a plastic CAS, it won't go on the R34 exhaust cam, so you'll need a R34 CAS or a 1997/98 R33 CAS.

Intake manifold wise, I tried to use the R34 one and fit half height top feed injectors. It clearly didn't work, you need 3/4 or full height injectors, hence I ended up going back to the R33 intake manifold.

Other than that, everything bolts up. 

• Thanks 1