SAU Community

Bills 33 Gtst Streeter/track Car

8 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Don't even need to spray much to get the benefits, the alcohol component will keep things clean!

Could even skip the catch can.

A mate of mine did this. Unfortunately he neglected to periodically clean the injection nozzle, which being water/meth clagged up. The motor went fkn bang on account of detonating its brains out.

• Sad 1

On 03/03/2023 at 4:49 PM, djr81 said:

A mate of mine did this. Unfortunately he neglected to periodically clean the injection nozzle, which being water/meth clagged up. The motor went fkn bang on account of detonating its brains out.

Ouch. Knowing my luck, this is probably what would happen. I think I'll just stick with the catch can idea.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, admS15 said:

Ouch. Knowing my luck, this is probably what would happen. I think I'll just stick with the catch can idea.

Yeah well his thing is/was petrol. Anyway he now has a newly sleeved 2ZZ.

Ryco do a half decent catch can.

Edited by djr81
  • Like 1

If you're using it as an additional thing to clean the intake, and still doing all the normal maintenance to the car, and the WMI isn't being used as something to allow you to push the engine harder, than the only way a clogged nozzle will kill your engine is if you neglect maintenance on it... Which really, that'd happen even if you didn't have a clogged nozzle.

• Like 2

But let's say you're purely using the WMI for additional cooling and primarily for cleaning, so if it did clog up you'll just end up with a dirty intake like how it is right now.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2023 at 10:46 PM, MBS206 said:

If you're using it as an additional thing to clean the intake, and still doing all the normal maintenance to the car, and the WMI isn't being used as something to allow you to push the engine harder, than the only way a clogged nozzle will kill your engine is if you neglect maintenance on it... Which really, that'd happen even if you didn't have a clogged nozzle.

On 03/03/2023 at 11:42 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

But let's say you're purely using the WMI for additional cooling and primarily for cleaning, so if it did clog up you'll just end up with a dirty intake like how it is right now.

I wonder what the chances are of the nozzle getting stuck open and potentially hydrolocking the motor or bending a rod. 

Is that a thing or is there some sort of failsafe. How does a WMI system operate? I also wonder how triggering would be set up? Being a diesel, it's almost always on boost.

8 minutes ago, admS15 said:

How does a WMI system operate?

Controller triggers the pump, AEM kits you can dial in what boost pressure it starts to spray at.

So theoretically you could only make it kick in at say 1.5bar of boost only (as an example, please DYOR lol).

https://www.aemelectronics.com/products/water-methanol-injection-systems/water-methanol-injection-kit-for-forced-induction-gasoline-engines

• Like 1

On 04/03/2023 at 12:44 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Controller triggers the pump, AEM kits you can dial in what boost pressure it starts to spray at.

So theoretically you could only make it kick in at say 1.5bar of boost only (as an example, please DYOR lol).

https://www.aemelectronics.com/products/water-methanol-injection-systems/water-methanol-injection-kit-for-forced-induction-gasoline-engines

I usually DMOR but in this case I was hoping someone would spoon feed me. Thanks for the link Johnny 😉

1 hour ago, admS15 said:

I wonder what the chances are of the nozzle getting stuck open and potentially hydrolocking the motor or bending a rod. 

Is that a thing or is there some sort of failsafe. How does a WMI system operate? I also wonder how triggering would be set up? Being a diesel, it's almost always on boost.

As I understand, and Dose can confirm, the nozzle is just a spray nozzle, purely mechanical item.
Kind of like the nozzles for a garden misting system.

Then you turn the pump on to pump water in. Pretty darn hard for the pumps to then "jam on" with the way electronics are. More likely if it "jammed on" it'll be through the electronics driver failing internally with a short, and then typically they've shorted that way that they end up with power everywhere, and bam, fuse blows, and now pump is off within a split second anyway.

• Like 1

Got around to dumping and refilling the trans fluid again. 3 litres came out and I put roughly that amount back in. Unfortunately the fluid temp got a bit too hot for me to complete the procedure properly. I'll revisit it tomorrow morning at the correct temp and make sure it's not over/under filled.

IMG_20230304_100441.thumb.jpg.82001146e7ab15af02c2ba8393f7fa5c.jpg

Was just able to crawl under at that height. My stomach struggled for clearance but managed to squeeze in.

• Like 1

Re checked and topped off the trans fluid again yesterday morning with the oil temp at 40-45°C, was 60°C when I filled it the other day. It took an additional 1 litre in. In total around 6.6 litres came out but 8 litres went back in.

Either, it's lost 1.4 litres of fluid during it's 8 years or somewhere along the line it's been serviced and short filled due to procedure not being followed. I made sure for the final fill the car was totally level, a spirit level was used to confirm, lol. I can now sleep well, knowing that it's been done properly. Trans shifts great and a massive improvement over pre service behaviour.

• Like 1

It's funny you mention that.

While underneath, finishing up with the trans service, the engine mounts where inspected and the oily puss dribbling out of the driver's side mount confirms my suspicions. A slight vibration at idle has developed recently, pretty sure it started shortly after a launch event. You can't really feel it, it's more like a droney sound/frequency around the dash windscreen area. My OCD can't tolerate this for long though.

I had already spent some time looking around for mounts. Every supplier in Australia seemed to only have LH mounts. Ended up ordering Meyle branded mounts. 1 from Amazon UK and the other from eBay UK. Will be a while before they arrive. Gives me time to plan how to get it done. It's going to be a shit fight,  pretty tight down there but hopefully won't be too much drama.

Will need one of those top mount engine support/lift brace contraptions. Will have to order one of those too. Damn freaking Germans. 

And Dose, this doesn't have LC like the DSG Vag's do. You just turn the ESC off, stall it up on the converter conventionally, release and get pinned into the seat while it thrusts forward like a caged animal that's broken free.

You've got this car worked out well!

Sure quite a bit to change/service those cars, keeping you busy haha.

Hmm I've used it on the SQ5 one generation up from your one, which also uses the ZF box.

Not sure if this relates to yours, read a few posts down.

https://www.myaudiq5.com/threads/sq5-launch-control.3089/

On 07/03/2023 at 6:53 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

You've got this car worked out well!

Sure quite a bit to change/service those cars, keeping you busy haha.

Hmm I've used it on the SQ5 one generation up from your one, which also uses the ZF box.

Not sure if this relates to yours, read a few posts down.

https://www.myaudiq5.com/threads/sq5-launch-control.3089/

Yeah, there is a fair bit to do but there would be for just about any car with 150k on it, except of course 90's Nissan's, coz they're the best. To be honest, I just want to get this stuff done and then just enjoy driving it, knowing it's in the best shape it could possibly be in.

I watched that video in the thread you linked, that's exactly how mine launches without any silly launch control procedure. Just put it in S, ESC off, left foot hard on brake, mash accelerator and stall up on converter, release brake and hold on. They do get out of the hole very well, even without stalling it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for engine mounts for the SQ5.

Skyline got a bit of love last week. Was back at chequered tuning for a check up after the turbo rebuild. All went well, was making power slightly earlier, with less boost and made more torque. Possibly due to the turbo being in better shape. Overall power was down by a couple of kw but pretty much the same. Didn't bother getting a graph, looked identical anyway. 

Also got him to look at a few things as I was getting a slight lean out on light acceleration and I'd noticed the ecu map sensor was not matching what my android dash was showing. In the past these values aligned. Turns out the ecu map sensor had gone out of calibration. Trent recalibrated it and that was fine. The slight lean out was also sorted, can't remember exactly what the cause was, he played with a heap of different stuff. Possibly a combination of the throttle cut and TPS calibration with a bit of adaptronic predictive map Async pump shenanigans. Either way drives nicer now. 

Also did a diff lockup check on the dyno and it passed with flying colours. There is a slight variance between wheels but as soon as a load is applied, locks up almost instantly with 0 variance. I asked for that check as I have traction issues. I guess the nearly 7 year old ado8r are very past their used by date now. 

Just about ready for a track day again but for some reason the driver can't find any motivation. 

IMG_20221202_172717.thumb.jpg.09867c11f70f5db04b268ccf94ff40bd.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1