SAU Community

Getting My First Gtr!

Ashleee

So after ages of fangirling over skylines, me and the bf are finally shopping for a R33 GTR.

I'm super excited, but also kinda fearful of buying a lemon.

I know you can't tell much online, but does this seem like a legit deal?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-3646567

I'm inclined to believe the only reasons it's so cheap is the bloke needing a baby car and the shitty paint on the hood, does anyone know if 18k is a fair price for a stock GTR?

I see a lot going for around 23, but they're modded already.

I plan to have a mechanic check anything i buy out fully, but i would rather get a heads up before i travel interstate to do so.

Thanks!

Hey ashlee, just Keep in mind one small issue can cause tens of thousands of snowballed knee jerk reaction mods so when you look at the big picture wether you pay 15k or 20k won't make much difference long term.

They are money pits so just be careful.

But they are very rewarding to drive.

Just make sure the person who looks at the car for you actually knows GTR's well and the issues they can have.

Edited by mr skidz

Before flying interstate the Qs I'd want answered are...

* Pics of the undercarriage

* Pics of service paperwork here in Aust

* Background check by JHC or JOC

* Some technician experienced in RB26 engines to check over the car (as mentioned above) including compression tests, running gear, suspension bushings etc

* Whilst up on the hoist, someone experienced in panelbeating to check for rust and previous damage/repairs.

Then, you have assurances against such an investment being a money pit.

Thanks for the tips guys!

I'm aware these kind of cars require an investment after the fact simply to maintain, but i just wanted to know if a GTR at this price point is common or if this is 1 of those "too good to be true" types.

If you haven't already, have a read through the "for sale" adverts on this site to get a feel for the level of detail that those who have a good car for sale are prepared to disclose (photos and description) and the detailed questions that potential buyers ask.

Looking at the advert that you linked to above, it doesn't contain much detail and includes a lot of the default carsales sentences. Also the car doesn't have a RWC which may not be a big deal if you sre a mechanic and know what to look for.

Whether $18k is too good to be true, is a difficult question to answer as there isn't - in my opinion - enough detail about the car to assess its value and investment required to maintain it in the short and longer run.

Ashlee that gtr looks very clean and unmolested.

Ask him what's been fixed or replaced since he has owned it and as others have stated get it checked out.

Otherwise it "looks" like a decent buy, and no at that price it's not too good to be true, it seems like a fair price for what it is.

Are you dead set on a GTR? A gtst will come in a lot cheaper and are slightly less of a headache [emoji41]

Josh

• Like 1

Yes, i plan on someday having a 34 :)

And yea, i am dead set on a R33 GTR.

Gonna give them a call today, thanks for the tips guys!

As a little sidenote, what mods would you guys recommend doing first to increase that feeling of going fast?

I plan on doing a cold air intake and new cat/exhaust, but i'm not really sure where to go from after that.

Thanks!

Clutch, fuel pump, exhaust, ecu, cam gears, boost controller and a tune, will get you about 240kw at the wheels. Add turbos and injectors and it will go over 300kw

Don't change the air box on a 33 it's good for over 470kw at the wheels

• Like 1

Cool car, but i'm still set on getting a GTR to work on ;)

Clutch, fuel pump, exhaust, ecu, cam gears, boost controller and a tune, will get you about 240kw at the wheels. Add turbos and injectors and it will go over 300kw

Don't change the air box on a 33 it's good for over 470kw at the wheels

Thanks for the tips, so you woulden't recommend a cold air intake?

I'm looking to get it sounding deep and having a roar when i put my foot down, i believe that contributes a huge amount to the psychological feeling of going fast and having fun in a car.

Any tips on getting that feeling?

I bought my GTR interstate for extremely cheap without even getting it inspected, but I had the advantage of knowing the engine was already stuffed, so as long as the bodywork and drivetrain checked out well then I was going to be fine :)

There are bargains out there and rip offs regardless of the price tag and looking at an online ad won't show much to us apart from obvious things like different coloured panels or clean engine bays and interiors. But yes, sometimes that's all you have to go off before going to the next level which is getting someone like stateroads or from the forums who knows GTRs to check it out (offer beer and money for them to take a look).

In those photos it looks clean enough for the money but the difference between a 16k 33 GTR and a 26K 33 GTR can be totally made up in the engine health and modifications alone. But looking interstate is taking a step in the right direction, because the best car for you is unlikely to fall within your state with base odds at 1 in 8!

Also +1 for GTS-Ts - easily modded to be faster than GTRs for cheaper and are more reliable and less costly to repair. But you can't seem to stop people set on GTRs so no point beating that dead horse.

Also +1 for GTRs being money pits - you are gonna want to love the car because once you start modifying it will spend more time off the road than on. GTR and GTS-T life is polar opposite lol

Good luck with your search either way and my number 1 advice is to be patient - you might have the money and desire to buy one now, but that doesn't mean a good one will necessarily be available to you. Some people search the market for months even years, others get lucky and find straight up or like me...weren't even planning on buying one but come across an offer too good to refuse!

Good luck

Had a look at that n1 exhaust, this is what i was looking at previously, what are your thoughts on this?

http://www.kudosmotorsports.com/catalog/tomei-tomei-expreme-titanium-cat-back-exhaust-system-440008-nissan-skyline-r33-gtr-rb26dett-p-1202.html

Is the kakimoto quiet until you put your foot down? I want one that's going to be chill for regular driving but when i put my foot down to roar and roar hard ;)

~~~~~~

Thanks for the tips too birds, i expect to spend double what i pay originally on fixing it up to be mint, but i just don't want something that's going to break down on me in the middle of nowhere or crap itself right after i buy while doing regular driving.

I've already read through that megathread about what to check for with buying a car as well, so i guess now i just have to play the waiting game and hope i do stumble across a good example.

Another question since i'm actually yet to go for a test drive, do you get a considerable "slam you back in your seat" feeling while it's still stock or is that only after extensive mods? Would be nice to know before i hop in so i kinda know what to expect, the only other car i've driven at this level of HP was a SL55 amg which was really stable to launch and easymode.

Thanks!

Edited by Ashleee

This "roar" (lol) your after is best done by having the wastegate/s running straight to the atmosphere and not through your exhaust, called screamer pipes and are illegal if you care about that.. Generally you can cruise around and won't hear it until foot is planted

This "roar" (lol) your after is best done by having the wastegate/s running straight to the atmosphere and not through your exhaust, called screamer pipes and are illegal if you care about that.. Generally you can cruise around and won't hear it until foot is planted

The roar i'm referring to is more the kind of deep sounds v8's make, i was just wondering if it's possible to simulate as close to that as possible with a good exhaust.

I don't expect to get the exact sound, but i just want the sound to be more deep than high pitched, if you get what i mean?

Edited by Ashleee

To my knowledge only V8s make V8 sounds, if that's what your after buy a commodore [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Otherwise run a screamer [emoji6]

Is it possible to deepen the sound though, through an exhaust? Not saying it has to be a v8 sound, but i still want to make the sound as deep as possible.

Not after the screamer sound though.