SAU Community

Bathurst In December

260DET

No fight lol, Harry changes cars like some change undies and if it's likely to go near a track he starts making excuses before it ever gets there. Even buys crappy tyres to get a ready made excuse :yes:

EDIT What model is the MR2 Harry? Stock W20 weighs 1179 kg, W30 996 and a 240Z 1044kg. There is not a lot of interior to strip out of the Z so if a roll cage is put in ............ Z blokes don't go to Lakeside much but I recall that Richard Graham got into the 62's a while ago, nice car but pretty basic, still has drum brakes rear and the engine has been going for years, cams carbs and exhaust would be about it, revalved Bilsteins . Cast pistons, it was a budget build that has outlived it's original intention.

Seriously, if you have a proper try and stop messing around I can't see why the MR2 could not do very well. You have the driving skills.

Edited by 260DET

It's not making excuses to correct a senile old man who thinks an MR2 with 200bhp Camry V6 and cheapo off the shelf BC coilovers shoule do "easy sub 60s"! But I'm not the one that needs excuses anyf**kingway...

If taking it seriously means spending heaps of money to try and go faster, I'm not interested. The amount you spend doesn't increase the enjoyment on the track. Nor does taking it seriously for that matter - that's the opposite of the way I approach my hobbies. hth

maybe you should focus on how fast your shitbox shoulda gone... btw those spec 86 racers have done a 1:42 at Bathurst. And we know you can keep up with them on tight twisty tracks with a pro driver at the wheel even when your car is running crappy. So on the wide open expanses of Bathurst, you should obliterate them! You've set your own expectations old timer - the pressure is on. Don't cop out by using crappy tyres either, we're all watching. Time to back up the talk, mr 'take it seriously'... And I'm sure we won't be hearing any excuses before you even get there, will we? lol

Edited by hrd-hr30

Lol Harry, you certainly take a 'hobby' seriously. Actually I was trying to encourage you to do the best with what you have instead of spoiling it by making excuses all the time, pity you take all this personally and are so defensive. Anyway, I'll still be interested to see how the ? model MR2 goes.

As for me I'm just looking forward to experiencing Bathurst as are most of the others I know, If I wanted to have a real go I'd enter the sprints. Of course being able to open up the V8 is an attraction, carrying extra weight without being able to really use the power is a bit frustrating. Incidentially, when 'chasing' Seton after 1 1/2 laps I spun out at Siberia.

Lol Harry, you certainly take a 'hobby' seriously. Actually I was trying to encourage you to do the best with what you have instead of spoiling it by making excuses all the time, pity you take all this personally and are so defensive.

Not sure if you can hear yourself, but that's not encouragement. People are only ever going to take offense at crap like "you spoil it by making excuses all the time". What excuses anyway? I don't think the auto Soarer needed any excuses with the times it ran - 59 at Lakeside and breaking a class record at Mt Cotton, 4th in class at QLD Supersprint State Championships in a class up against AWDs and cars using cheater slicks. If that's not doing the best with what you have, I don't know what is...

And saying stuff like "easy sub 60s" is not encouragement either - it's setting an unrealistic expectation so it will look bad when it doesn't do it. And it's complete nonsense coming from a bloke who needs three times the power in a lighter car to jag one single flukey sub 60 lap in many many years of trying. That's the thing that should be doing easy sub 60s.

Well you are an adult Harry and you do minimumise the capabilities of your cars all the time, just like you have done with this ? model MR2 which is by any measure a light car. I think you did great in the Soarer around Lakeside but you don't need me to tell you that, times speak for themselves.

As for my efforts well they were the best I could do trying hard and that's good enough for me, the 280ZX as it was would have gone faster in better hands although it was no lightweight, well over 1000kg. Basically I built that car, it gives me a lot of satisfaction to build something good, drive it, improve it. It would be way cheaper in the long run to buy an Evo and let the car do laps so I could big note myself about what a top driver I am lol.

Well you are an adult Harry and you do minimumise the capabilities of your cars all the time, just like you have done with this ? model MR2...

you seem to be trying to make some sort of issue about the MR2 model being some sort of secret??? I told you what it was the first time you asked:

pretty much the exact opposite of a Soarer - SW20 MR2 with Camry 3VZ-FE 3.0 V6, light flywheel, Quaiffe diff, coilovers... slower, but I imagine it will be far more "involving" to drive :) Only had it for a day, but it's an event just driving it in traffic - can't wait to get it out on some decent roads this weekend!

As for minimising it's capabilities - I'm pretty sure I was talking them up??? The rave reviews of their handling and their race results from back in the day... It's just not realistic to expect a 200 flywheel bhp (if old mate selling the car was being honest about it being the update version of the motor - if not, it's about 180 fly), ~1250kg car to do easy sub 60s at Lakeside. Name me one other! Should be plenty - as you say, it's easy!!!

There's been heaps of 86s with pretty much the exact same power and weight that have been there now. Heaps of lighter Integra Type Rs with similar power to weight etc etc.

BTW a stock turbo MR2 makes 200bhp - easy sub 60s? As do stock Silvias, and they weight almost exactly the same. Easy sub 60s in them just with coilovers? Maybe you should stop spending squillions on your heavyweight 1000+kg Zed and buy a stock lightweight 1250kg MR2 turbo or something for the easy sub 60s? lol

Personally, I think it's a pretty high goal to match the modern 86 times I mentioned - they get rave reviews for their handling, and the times I mentioned had the best rubber (Z221s) and the $3000 MCA coilovers that have had heaps of targeted development work on various 86s at that track. And driven by a bloke with heaps of seat time in them at that track, and who's set up and driven the fastest 86s around all our tracks... That's not me minimising it's capabilities, it's you being completely, totally and utterly out of whack!

...and you do minimumise the capabilities of your cars all the time...

hmmm, let's see:

My last street/track toy was the Soarer. $4500 it cost me about 4 years ago. Took it to a race track totally stock with nothing other than lowered springs and 18s, ran a 64.9 and immediately started a thread on another forum you're also on, titled "project sixty-second slushbox!". Yep, minimising it's capabilities right from the f**king start! So many autos run 60s! lol And Soarers are of course one of the most highly regarded bases for going fast easy. Man, I talked that thing down!

I also said from the start I wanted to take it to Mt Cotton because I thought the auto would be well suited to the hillclimb track and the car might have potential there. Went there with nothing more than BC coilovers and NT01s and immediately said I thought it could break the class record that was about 1.5 seconds away at the time - which is alot on a 47sec record! Always talking my cars down..

Before that was a 120Y I dropped a stock Bluebird engine into and threw together an oldschool drawthru carby turbo setup. Made a whopping 135rwbhp. It would be pretty hard to minimise it's capabilities! Most people thought it would blow up before it ever set a lap time...It was just built for cheap laughs because I love 120Ys for some wierd reason, and I really had no idea what to expect out of that car but I set the goal of 49s at Mt Cotton - that's what the class leaders were running at the time - in particular the FD RX7 twin turbo that was winning the class back then. Yep, minimised expectations again!

Before that was the 180SX. I bought that with the sole intention of going sub 60 at Lakeside after the re-opening - which had people scratching their heads at the time. It's still considered the holy grail to go sub 60 there now, and not many road cars drive there, run 60s and drive home. Let alone ones that get driven on interstate holidays, to and from work etc...

That's the last 7 years since Lakeside re-opened and I got back into motorsort. Not a whole lot of minimising my car's capabilities or expectations there, I don't reckon???

oh, there was also the RZ Supra I took to Lakeside, but I owned that well before Lakeside's surprise re-opening. You might still struggle to find anyone who's gone faster on KU36s than that car - how's that for minimising its capabilities?

I had to spend most of my time telling everyone it was fast because Toyota built a really good sports car that goes, stops and corners really well. Quite the opposite of their reputation at the time... Yep, minimising it's capabilities

I'm with big tits

fight fight fight.

It's a bit rich for me especially at the end of the year.

My budget by then would be preparing for 2017.

Cheers

Neil.

• Like 1

I think the handling 'issues' are a common misconception. Proper motoring journos (ie the ones who could drive - like Tiff Needell) raved about them when they were first released, and they were untouchable in their class (NA sports cars) at Bathurst's 12hr Production car races - even ending up with a 4th outright.

These are your words Harry so going on them compared with the current capabilities of the over 50 year old sports cars that I'm familiar with I make a lap time prediction that you don't like. Heavy iron block single cam engines for a start, plus an absence of all the progress that has been made in car dynamics and general track friendly features over that time and you say in effect that you can't beat them. Rubbish.

Of course if you don't want to spend reasonable money on dampers and tyres and other track basics then your self fulfilling prophecy may well come true.

Whats Neville up to these days Harry, what was his best Lakeside lap time in the old budget built 260Z again? :woot:

Anyone else coming to Bathurst? Sup Regs should be out soon for those who have expressed interest.

Edited by 260DET

Yes, those are my words talking up the capabilities of the MR2's chassis as I pointed out in response to you saying I was minimising my car's capabilities. So which is it now???

We've been through that Z car comparison you senile old man. The 3 old Zeds that have ever gone sub 60 seconds have all been with at least 240rwbhp in cars around 250kg lighter. MR2 has 180-200flywheel bhp and weighs over 25% more than any of them and has to use narrower tyres. So no, I can't beat them!!! No way in hell, let alone easily...

Also 2 of them had gumball slicks tyres and the other had massive 2 groove slicks and lots of aero.

All of them had lightweight panels and plexiglass.

My car won't get any of those things. It will be a totally different thing to any of those - a proper road car that you can drive interstate in comfort (as I've already done), drive to work, take for a cruise on some nice country roads while enjoying some music in climate controlled comfort. It's not a dedicated race car like those few Zeds which are the fastest competition cars of their kind in the country.

Your lap time prediction is utter nonsense.

In fact, the only thing crazier than your lap time prediction of 'easy sub 60s' is the fact it comes from a bloke who needs about three times the power and heaps of aero in a car weighing "over 1000kg" to ever barely managed to fluke one sub 60 lap! But s I said before, if 200flywheel bhp and 1250kg in a normal road car = easy sub 60s, stop wasting the mega dollars on your beast and go get a cheap stock MR2 turbo and enjoy the "EASY sub 60s". I mean, surely if it's easy, even you could do it?

Edited by hrd-hr30

lol seeing I'm a "senile old man" perhaps I should cancel Bathurst. Or perhaps when the current incarnation of the Zed is sorted I should go out to Lakeside to catch up with old mate Harry, there's a plan :yes:

Anyone got sup regs for Bathurst yet? We are all in the hands of the organisers now.