SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

7 minutes ago, RICE RACING said:

Let's see when the kunts show the performance  ;)

Everyone prefaces 50 different excuses as to why it wont do XYZ, typical of the times we live in now in Generation GAY.

Odds are it'll do what they expected from it, there will potentially be some interesting data to come from it for those who appreciate that kind of thing, and there will always be keyboard warriors who find something to hate on - typical of the times. 

I'll post in here if or when there is any more news.

37 minutes ago, Lithium said:

Odds are it'll do what they expected from it, there will potentially be some interesting data to come from it for those who appreciate that kind of thing, and there will always be keyboard warriors who find something to hate on - typical of the times. 

I'll post in here if or when there is any more news.

Don't expect much from vendor paid advertising ;)

My 8474 turned up on friday from Turbosource but of course I'm away for work for the next few weeks and have a huge list of crap to finish off on the Car before ill have any data but rice you should be happy as i will have a pretty reasonable amount. (egts, map, emap, etc all from the KV8) Anyway...big list 1.Finish fab of hotside piping to cooler 2.Drill housing for emap and run tubing etc 3.Plumb everything (coolant, oil/OPR, gates) 4.Send housing, dump, gate bodies and screamer pipes for coating 5.Purchase and fit thermocouples 6.Wire in ETC 4 x2off for egts( 3rd party coz f wiring) 7.Lick a stamp and send it

Good stuff  ^ :)

On the other end of the scale did an EFR7064 the other day on a 1.8lt (460rwhp on homodynamics roller) but running car weight is 700kg region and small frontal area means it runs rings around anything else :). And doing twin EFR on R35 next, all of them fully instrumented ;)

• Like 1

Hey Rice, (apologies Ive not caught your name) Considering my manifold is a true split pulse and the housing is also split pulse which side of the housing should i be drilling and tapping to take the emap reading from? Surely thered be a small difference between the smaller scroll and the larger scroll pressure wise when spooling the turbo?

2 hours ago, welshy_32ZILA said:

My 8474 turned up on friday from Turbosource but of course I'm away for work for the next few weeks and have a huge list of crap to finish off on the Car before ill have any data but rice you should be happy as i will have a pretty reasonable amount. (egts, map, emap, etc all from the KV8) Anyway...big list 1.Finish fab of hotside piping to cooler 2.Drill housing for emap and run tubing etc 3.Plumb everything (coolant, oil/OPR, gates) 4.Send housing, dump, gate bodies and screamer pipes for coating 5.Purchase and fit thermocouples 6.Wire in ETC 4 x2off for egts( 3rd party coz f wiring) 7.Lick a stamp and send it

Awesome! What is the rest of the mechanical setup you are running? What hotside did you go for?  Looking forward to hearing result :)

• Like 1

True Split pulse 6boost manifold with twin 40mm TS gates external and indvidual egt's. I fabbed my own 4" SS exhaust with a "Hi-flow" cat and 2 off Magnaflow mufflers along with all the 3" intercooler piping. Changed from a old 68mm PWR cooler to a CPC 90mm 600x300mm core. (was hard to bring myself to weld to the billet end tanks). Its a basic 2.6 build. eagle rods, CP pistons, actually i need to check when i get home if it has main studs and Head studs... lol fingers crossed. Im thinking the head is gonna be the big restriction. (tomei 260 9.15 cams) Edited as i forgot the gate info

Edited by welshy_32ZILA
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, welshy_32ZILA said:

True Split pulse 6boost manifold with twin 40mm TS gates external and indvidual egt's. I fabbed my own 4" SS exhaust with a "Hi-flow" cat and 2 off Magnaflow mufflers along with all the 3" intercooler piping. Changed from a old 68mm PWR cooler to a CPC 90mm 600x300mm core. (was hard to bring myself to weld to the billet end tanks). Its a basic 2.6 build. eagle rods, CP pistons, actually i need to check when i get home if it has main studs and Head studs... lol fingers crossed. Im thinking the head is gonna be the big restriction. (tomei 260 9.15 cams) Edited as i forgot the gate info

Awesome, has potential!  Sounds like a very nice setup...  If you are going to run E85 and aren't shy of boost then it should be capable of some solid numbers still I'm guessing.   So what hotside on the turbo, 1.05?

Edited by Lithium

Yea e85 and 1.05 split on the rear. Im guessing the boost may start with a 3. but Between the head, and the inj being at 65/70ish% duty with the -5s id say they may temporarily hold us back aswell.

Edited by welshy_32ZILA

11 minutes ago, welshy_32ZILA said:

Yea e85 and 1.05 split on the rear. Im guessing the boost may start with a 3. but Between the head, and the inj being at 65/70ish% duty with the -5s id say they may temporarily hold us back aswell.

Are you on 1300s or something?  That won't quite cut it :D     Should still be able to make plenty of power to be a very fun ride

11 hours ago, Lithium said:

Are you on 1300s or something?  That won't quite cut it :D     Should still be able to make plenty of power to be a very fun ride

Nah they're bosch motorsport 1650s. I checked logs from the emtron and are seeing 76% @ 280kpa. We were leaning on the -5s pretty hard.

20190331_164835.jpg

17 hours ago, welshy_32ZILA said:

Hey Rice, (apologies Ive not caught your name) Considering my manifold is a true split pulse and the housing is also split pulse which side of the housing should i be drilling and tapping to take the emap reading from? Surely thered be a small difference between the smaller scroll and the larger scroll pressure wise when spooling the turbo?

Yo, it's Peter ;)

I mount them anywhere (in the exhaust manifold) as the averaged TIP is basically equal, Don't know if ECU specific but some I see run what must be accumulators to filter the signals? Don't need this on Life Racing based ECU you can see we just run a pipe to a conventional pressure transducer (nothing special) have many in service no issues.

29 minutes ago, RICE RACING said:

Yo, it's Peter ;)

I mount them anywhere (in the exhaust manifold) as the averaged TIP is basically equal, Don't know if ECU specific but some I see run what must be accumulators to filter the signals? Don't need this on Life Racing based ECU you can see we just run a pipe to a conventional pressure transducer (nothing special) have many in service no issues.

Cheers Peter. 

Ok so u run them in the manifold itlself. Even my manifold is split so the pressure reading wpuld be only from 3 cyl.

Yea I see most run an accumulator/filter setup to smooth the small pressure rises from the cycling/firing of each cylinder. And obviously filter to prevent exhaust soot clogging the sensor. 

12 hours ago, burn4005 said:

Interesting. I was at 76.5% duty on same injectors on e85 at 285kpa on an 8374 1.05. That was a 491awkw run on a 2.62l

lambda of 0.8 though.

Quite interesting looking at it all there, his target lambda is arguably on the rich side - and he's ~5% rich of that target (ie, it's running 10.7:1 "gas scale" AFR).  It could be that rich of target due to the fact he is running at part throttle at that long point, but at face value if he was running your lambda at the same MAP he'd be <70% duty at this point which isn't so bad.   

Also, those Bosch injectors are "1650cc @ 4bar" while the target differential pressure appears to be 3.2bar, and it's around 3.1bar at that time spot.   One way or another, there should be room for AT LEAST 10% more power with that fuel system which isn't all bad :)

Edited by Lithium

heres a run of mine during the tuning process for comparisons sake:

we didn't have the pump PWM speed control map set up correctly for a flat fuel pressure, and base pressure was a bit low. closed loop fuel was bang on the lambda target regardless (+4.5% fuel enrichment and -3.5% closed loop lambda enrichment. this run was at E75, but in my tune anything over E70 is full boost, full timing.

I've been trying to get emtron to fix the fuel rate calculation speed as it's quite a useful runtime for fuel demand, but for some reason its refreshing very slowly in the log.

image.thumb.png.ff6558bc44faf047e4dc94f00b9a2830.png

Edited by burn4005