SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

tbh, i have no idea... bought the car used.. i think it has a built motor with rods and piston. dont think its a stroker or has any headwork done to it. did not pull it apart to check. only found the spec of the cams duration when we try to set it up.

the car has almost zero to no vacuum.. which kinda "sucks"11.thumb.jpg.243a299b7b4040d11be2e2386036d937.jpg

Hi, may i ask ou guys for advice. I have a brand new EFR7670 on my car, but now i find a cheap second hand 7163 and i want to get it too. The guy who sells it claim that the turbo have only 500miles on it, but when i remove the turbine housing i found a signs of oil leaking. I talked to some other guys and show them picture and they said, that it could be from too much oil getting into the turbo regardless of there is built in oil restrictor. There is zero shaft play, the turbo is like new except that. So could you tell me what you think from the pic? Thank you!

7163.jpg

Edited by gixer

I had the same issue on my GTR with a 9180 and now on an RX7 rotary. -12 drain on the rotor and -10 on GTR.

I did some research and oil pressure is too high over recommended 40psi with big pump RB’s and Rotary motors and oil escapes past the rear seals. I’m installing one of these in near future.

https://gcg.com.au/petrol-performance/performance-2/oil-feed-fittings-accessories/turbosmart-oil-pressure-regulator-40psi-blue-detail

5 hours ago, Buraz said:

I had the same issue on my GTR with a 9180 and now on an RX7 rotary. -12 drain on the rotor and -10 on GTR.

I did some research and oil pressure is too high over recommended 40psi with big pump RB’s and Rotary motors and oil escapes past the rear seals. I’m installing one of these in near future.

https://gcg.com.au/petrol-performance/performance-2/oil-feed-fittings-accessories/turbosmart-oil-pressure-regulator-40psi-blue-detail

handy info, ill get one for the 8374 i plan on using, does efr turbos use removable restrictors?

I bought two of those OPR 40 regulators and found that they works on my drift car with top mounted Garrett GTX turbo, but on my daily car with bottom mount Garrett with short oil drain there is leakage with the regulator too and i had to fit an oil restrictor on the turbo.

Well did a run to 8400rpm and low map of 2850mB and the TIP is already too high, don't see it getting better in my experience

Don't want to throw it under the bus just yet but have my doubts about this smaller 74 turbine wheel based off what I have seen so far, TEP is low so there is no significant restriction post turbine, looks like homo spec :(

Did quick comparison the R34 (OS315 EFR9180 EWG) and the EVO is much more responsive and lower TIP, both cars ironically are exactly same rpm and vehicle speed in 2nd gear transient test. The 2.3L 4cyl just shits on the inline 3.15L 6cyl in this department as expected.

As balance of response to ultimate power this IWG 9174 on the 4cyl looks like it will place 2nd out of the three cars, the RX7 13B being the king of response (9180 IWG) and just the ultimate set up. It makes so much power that the twin plate had to get changed out for a bespoke ATS semi carbon unit a few weeks back.

Back to the EVO still have to sort out the MIVEC to get low end as good as it can be and then go to turbo limits and will put up some info to share showing the only thing that is important being the performance, should be fast, lets see.

• Like 2

Got her to 3150mB just now, TIP to the moon though.... and starting to see saturation of performance relative to MAP increase, 100-150 in ~2.3 seconds, take a bit of time now to view all info and see just how hard to push this, but looks like turbine/housing combo is just a bit too small for this engine.

Stock one above 100-200 in 14.9 seconds, this under 6.9 seconds with gentle gear shift 3rd to 4th.

Edited by RICE RACING
more info

On 1/14/2019 at 1:40 PM, sneakey pete said:

For those with no soldering iron experience this should do the trick

https://gcg.com.au/petrol-performance/performance-1/gauges-accessories/turbo-speed-scaler-borg-warner-efr-detail

Though its an analogue input not a digital one so plan accordingly

Is that something that a Link could handle perhaps? 

Yes, though you may sacrifice a useful analouge input to make it work. and its an extra box.
Someone suggested using a Binary Counter to just divide it b 8, which brings it to a decent usable range (current max speed is 3700hz), i'm still trying to wrap my head around that one but it actually seems like a pretty simple and easy way to do it.

7 hours ago, sneakey pete said:

Yes, though you may sacrifice a useful analouge input to make it work. and its an extra box.
Someone suggested using a Binary Counter to just divide it b 8, which brings it to a decent usable range (current max speed is 3700hz), i'm still trying to wrap my head around that one but it actually seems like a pretty simple and easy way to do it.

Hey thanks for the reply.

not sure how the bin counter would work without some external circuit board which shouldn’t be hard.. although finding the right board and adding some logic will be a bit of a pain.

I remember tho that last time I enquired Link re the speed sensor.. they said that it doesn’t work.. it hasn’t been for some time.. it apparently was meant to be included with their last release but it still isn’t working. 

8 hours ago, sneakey pete said:

I have used old fashioned cmos ic’s for this sort of thing CD4022B should get the job done, and no surface mount soldering required ??