SAU Community

RB26 Tomei Type R Cams - Results?

6 hours ago, mr skidz said:

Wonder why type A cams never get much consideration?
To date my smaller 2.7L is producing 20psi on 98ron earlier than 2.8L's on E85 with the same turbos.
Which is something to think about.

I get positive boost from 1,500rpm and starts pulling from 2,500 rpm which is where you want your cams to operate.

My boost plotted againt Paul's and biggest difference is cams and lack of head work on my part.
3b8b670bc05fbbf0b381dc6391478d10.jpg

Is boost pressure alone giving the full story of how much power the engine is actually making?

Good to see SAU never changes lol

I did type Bs to type Rs on a 2.6 with -7s, both sets dialed for response and both sets made same topend power but the type Rs hit full boost about 800rpm sooner 

I can't comment on V stock cams as I never used them in my 34 but the stock cams in my 32 dialed for response easy smacked the 34 for bottom end but when you take into account stock turbos and 4.11 diffs it's not comparable in the slightest  

The Type Rs on a 3.0 with RSs went 458awkw@28psi and I have since gone EU 260 cams and Audi R8 coils and .5mm over size in piston with .2 increase in CR, latest graph below

I am interested in your graph of pods V airbox for a R34 as we have hit a wall with boost and my tuner believes it's an intake restriction

I think dialed in the type Rs will give a better result then stock but the best question is will the result be worth the expense 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

The graph I posted earlier, was with pods. I dont have a specific airbox vs pods back to back graph, but I was there and fitted them myself then spun it up.

14rkw, on boost sooner, and held boost easier.

Nothing else was changed between runs other than pods.

We had tuned for a new plazaman and gained some power and response, but the pods was done separately.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

The graph I posted earlier, was with pods. I dont have a specific airbox vs pods back to back graph, but I was there and fitted them myself then spun it up.

14rkw, on boost sooner, and held boost easier.

Nothing else was changed between runs other than pods.

We had tuned for a new plazaman and gained some power and response, but the pods was done separately.

Ok interesting, did you remove the bung from the feed that goes into the side guard ?

what have you changed on the intake, just airbox or intake pipes as well ?

I still run stock airbox and stock piping and curious of what parts create how much restriction 

I'm waiting on camtech to get back to me. 

Does anyone know what the max lift is you can go before requiring buckets? 

I was wondering if they could make me a 248 or 250 duration with a bit more lift, if possible. If no more lift can be achieved, then maybe just a 248 with the same lift. 

I'm inclined to wanna test cams, as I got a good result with the Sil, but I alos came to the realisation I've had the car for almost a year, spent over 20k on it and barely driven it. So Cams might get shelved for a while given the nicer weather is here and I should actually drive the thing and enjoy it. 

I still need to get the rims resprayed, and maybe get the calipers re-done, but again I should drive it for a bit. 

Admittedly from a guy who sells Cams, but interesting response. 

He recommended their 260 cam - http://www.camtechcams.com.au/niss_6cyl_rb26.html

"Hi Dan,

The cams to use is our 413a. see cam specs below."

Which I thought was too big based on what we've discussed here and asked him  what he thought.

" Hi Malcolm,

I've been told that's too much duration and will cost me response, potentially down low and mid range torque also due to overlap dropping dynamic compression. 

Thoughts? 

He doesn't agree....

"Hi Dan,

I think unfortunately the people that are giving you advise may be a little inexperienced.

The cam I suggested is the next size bigger than standard.

If you put anything smaller than want I have recommended you are wasting your time."

Which is odd given I asked him specifically about the 250 degree Type R.