SAU Community

R32 GTR welded rear diff

R32 GTR welded rear diff

My rear diff is welded. If I want to get rid of it what is the best course of action? Not saying I will asit doesn't really bother me. I just want to see options and price here. 

- buy oem parts and Bring it back to what it was from the factory? 

or

- buy aftermarket because there's better stuff out there? And what do you guys recommend?

Car is basically stock and is pretty much only used to have fun on backroads on the weekend.

Cheers!

Edited by drunken0elf

What vandal welded up a mechanical LSD?

Return to stock with a second hand or new OEM unit but price that against a new Nismo LSD in case its not much more than the OEM one.

I'm almost sad to hear someone welded a GTR's diff..

Oh well, look if you're going to the pain of replacing the diff, I'd honestly suggest putting something aftermarket in there, a nismo LSD will really liven up the car's rear end grip

Thanks for the replies.

Can one of you tell me what's the name of the oem one as I can't find anything right now. I keep finding gtst rear diffs for some reason.

As for the nismo set, like the one on nengun? I can't find where it says r32 GTR compatible tho.

https://www.nengun.com/nismo/gt-lsd-pro

You don't have to spend money on NIsmo tax.  The stock GTR diff can be shimmed tighter for more LSD, albeit two way.  Don't get a 2 way Nismo under any circumstances as even the 1.5 way is stupidly tight and goes clunkety clunkety cluck whenever your are foolish enough to try and turn a corner.  May as well be welded shut for the vast amounts of  understeer is causes.

1 hour ago, djr81 said:

You don't have to spend money on NIsmo tax.  The stock GTR diff can be shimmed tighter for more LSD, albeit two way.  Don't get a 2 way Nismo under any circumstances as even the 1.5 way is stupidly tight and goes clunkety clunkety cluck whenever your are foolish enough to try and turn a corner.  May as well be welded shut for the vast amounts of  understeer is causes.

OP's diff is way past shimming - it has been welded up.

So my best option would comparing oem prices to nismo from what I understand.

6 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

R32GTR and R33GTR are the same:

Diff specs.pdf

Oh so I can look up r32 and r33 oem diff to put in my 32 is what you're saying? Neat!

2 hours ago, djr81 said:

Yeah I realise that I was advocating buying a second hand GTR diff and shimming it tighter rather than spending large on a Nismo clunk fest.

What do you mean clunk fest? 

1 hour ago, drunken0elf said:

So my best option would comparing oem prices to nismo from what I understand.

Oh so I can look up r32 and r33 oem diff to put in my 32 is what you're saying? Neat!

What do you mean clunk fest? 

I think you'll find second GTR diffs hard to come by and brand new Nismos competitive in price.

Nismos are a popular replacement for the rear diff but djr81 is pointing out that the 2 way and 1.5 way can be clunky. The one way will be fine after it is run in and has the appropriate oil in it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

I think you'll find second GTR diffs hard to come by and brand new Nismos competitive in price.

Nismos are a popular replacement for the rear diff but djr81 is pointing out that the 2 way and 1.5 way can be clunky. The one way will be fine after it is run in and has the appropriate oil in it.

Oh there is 1way, 1.5 and 2way. Ok thanks for the heads up.

• 3 years later...

Little bit off topic but I just dropped my diff out off my R33 gtst and it has a r33 gtr altessa diff since it is rear wheel drive can I delete the altessa pump and block it up and get the diff shimmed so it’s a proper working LSD our explain to me the best options or how it works. Cheers

4CF82BCC-373B-41C1-9B22-8C935B0538B7.png

B34DE586-8F2B-4419-8BE1-B812933636C4.png

That's got nothing to do with ATTESA. It is not a GTR diff. That diff does have some weird features though.

1. It has a normal RWD car's pinion/input flange. That takes a uni joint, not the CV style join on the back end of a GTR diff.
  2. If has 6 bolt axle flanges. But full circle ones. Weird. 6 bolts are GTR and/or some other cars like Z32 turbos.
  3. It appears to be an "active" diff which was originally for some of the special model GTRs but was also put into some RWD R33s and is a piece of shit. That's what the external pipework is about.

There are hundreds of threads on here about these things. You should do some research. But the short answer is no, you cannot do anything with that diff. It is an orphan. The only thing you can do is replace the whole thing (including the case) with your diff of choice. Although, you will likely also need axles.

Edited by GTSBoy