SAU Community

Headliner repair

PranK

Hey folks,

Have any of you guys used one of the headliner repair guys in Sydney?

The headliner in my BMW is knackered and my attempts to glue it up are not only failing but making matters worst because the glue makes the liner heavier.

Looks like some places will replace foam and liner for under $200 which seems like a good deal.

17 minutes ago, niZmO_Man said:

You're a BMW owner, you can afford it :P
Just give it a go yourself if you have time.

Yep, I reckon I will. I'll do all pillars too.

I'm just worried about it being a problem again in future. Maybe I'll just carbon wrap them. :D

So, I could quite easily switch to black too. Then I could just plastidip my trim (handles, light surrounds etc).

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Black-Car-Roof-Lining-Headliner-Upholstery-Foam-Headlining-Fabric-1-51M-x-2-2M/222578662525?hash=item33d2b8dc7d:g:rjkAAOSwvvBapKFt

So I just pulled out and put back in (for rattles in the damn sunroof) the headliner of an E61 Wagon. (Slightly older than yours of course).

They're pretty straight forward to do (assuming you like allen keys and Torx). If you find a cheap headliner as a replacement that suits your car, give that a go. Just remember that there will be airbags everywhere. The cool part is once you have removed the trims from the pillars, there are just some clips that need pointy nose pliers to get the lining out. It took me a while (about 4 hours in total, over two days, so bank on using a half day and you won't go wrong).

For me, I found a bunch of clips that had snapped an the sunroof motor bracket was loose. Removed busted items, tightened bracket, no more rattles! I think someone may have replaced the sunroof motor before me, only they forgot to screw it in properly.

Thanks @Steve85 I watched a bunch of videos on Youtube and have decided to give it a go myself also.

I think besides getting the headliner in/out of the damn car the rest will be straight forward. I'm looking forward to giving it a go and even more looking forward to having a black interior.

That said, my wife reckons having black headliner and pillars will be a bit dark and heavy in the car. What do you think? I reckon it'll look fantastic.

Good idea about buying another liner. I could trim that one and then swap them. 

• Like 1

My friend re-trimmed his R32 GTS-T Roof with a black fabric, it looks really nice.

In saying that, the grey skyline fabric gets pretty gross which makes improving on that pretty easy but I think the black looks really good.

Yeah they are one of the quotes. $540. :O

I just used that mob to redo the headlining on my mk5 golf hatchback. Really impressed with the quality of their work and the quality of the (black) material they used.

Bit surprised at the price though, I only paid $350...
  • Like 1

On 13/04/2018 at 4:27 PM, Jordy32 said:

My friend re-trimmed his R32 GTS-T Roof with a black fabric, it looks really nice.

In saying that, the grey skyline fabric gets pretty gross which makes improving on that pretty easy but I think the black looks really good.

Thats another reason for me wanting the black, light headliners and pillars get so grubby and you wont notice on the black.

On 13/04/2018 at 9:01 PM, adey88 said:

I just used that mob to redo the headlining on my mk5 golf hatchback. Really impressed with the quality of their work and the quality of the (black) material they used.

Bit surprised at the price though, I only paid $350...

Is it 3 or 5 door? My car is 4 door with a sunroof.