SAU Community

RB20 to a 2.2ltr

Adz2332

Yeah, that's the very silly way to get a bigger RB20.  The smart way to get a bigger RB20 is to put an RB25 or 26 in the sport where the RB20 was.  It's a very very long time since it made sense to make internal modifications to an RB20.  Rape them as they are, or upgrade to the right size motor.

• Like 1

Old school, pretty cool - as long as you can rev it like a 20 lol

I could be very wrong, but i remember reading RB26 rods and 4agze or similar pistons make it 2.2 or 2.4L something weird like that anyway... That and the older jap stroker kits

My RB30 twin cam in a 32 from back in the early/mid 2000's...

Was in the exact same postion as u...

To the untrained eye this looks like most other R32 engine bays i would've thought...

Even ran the old school XR6 turbo on the standard manifold...

IMGP0486.JPG

IMGP0519.JPG

IMGP0520.JPG

• Like 1

I had a full tote odds rb22 I put in my drift car when I thought it was too hard to go rb25 after my rb20 broke mostly ran the rb22 around mid high 400's lasted 4 years of alot of drifting It broke when I tried to put 550hp through it then went to standard rb25 using mostly the same gear. Rb22 built vs rb25 standard was like day and night not even close. Ie: Rb22 not worth it 

Edited by bcozican

Yeah, in real terms, the likelihood that anyone would ever crack the shits at you for having an unapproved RB25 in an R32 has got be so close to zero that it's just not worth worrying about.  OK, so I went to the effort of getting my car done properly, but if I had just a few more things on my car that would have made it hard to get through Regency, I would likely have just said "f**k it!" and done the conversion anyway.  Just put a coil cover on it that doesn't say 2500 and who the hell would ever be able to tell the difference?

All very true.

My friend had a 32 with a non approved rb25.

He got into a crash, wrote his and another car off. Went through his insurance and was fine right up until they got his wreck and found it had a larger non approved engine in it. Refused to pay out on his or the other car. Ended up costing him heaps.

Not so concerned about cops and pulling over

3 minutes ago, Adz2332 said:

until they got his wreck and found it had a larger non approved engine in it

Now you see, that's something that I wouldn't expect unless it did scream "2500" on top of the engine.  I would have expected even checking (and having a reliable database of) block casting numbers to be beyond most assessors, let alone funding a teardown to measure bore & stroke.  There may well be some insurers out there who have seen it enough times that it's on their standard list of things to check on Skylines.  Consider the equivalent situation with WRXs for example......how much of a pain in the arse would it be to see if an old 2L WRX had a 2.5 block in it?

If there is a wreck the body and engine numbers are the first thing they look at.

For a street car there is no way I would risk not getting the engine numbers swapped over to the papers.

I know my new RB26 block had "RB26" stamped into it on the engine number plate area, and then had to stamp the rest of the new engine number as provided by MVR there myself. Engine number is recorded on rego as RB26xxxxxxxxx so they know what engine is in it here. We do have yearly vin, engine number checks and pit inspections here in the NT though.