SAU Community

Brake shoe compatbility? R33GTST / Skyline Crossover

I'm installing new rear rotors and rather have new brake shoes while at it.

Now at least on EBay brake shoes for the R33 GTST seem to be over priced.

Now I came across this ad:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-PROTEX-Brake-Shoes-Rear-For-NISSAN-SKYLINE-C211-2D-Cpe-RWD/152320034436?fits=Model%3ASkyline|Plat_Gen%3AR33&hash=item2376fb4684:g:sCgAAOSwqjhcHkrT

According to the compatibility list the r33 uses the same shoes as a Skyline Crossover which sounds hard to believe but would be great since much cheaper.

Any input appreciated .. thanks!

On 3/9/2019 at 9:30 PM, GTSBoy said:

Also completely unnecessary.  They are a handbrake shoe.  They don't wear out.

You don't know until you know :)  ... it's a 20 year old car and I rather have new ones at hand while replacing the rotors. Shoes might be cracked, brittle, worn,  or just fine ...

Edited by Torques

I remember forgetting the handbrake on and driving for half an hour in my dads vc commodore back in the days when i was a p plater. Only realised when i hopped out of the car and there was smoke coming out of the back wheels. This happened on several occasions, handbrake still worked fine and shoes still looked good when checked some time later.

I doubt your handbrake shoes copped anything like that so they should be fine but if you wanna change them, go ahead. Yoy just reminded me of that whole experience with the good old vc.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, admS15 said:

I remember forgetting the handbrake on and driving for half an hour in my dads vc commodore back in the days when i was a p plater. Only realised when i hopped out of the car and there was smoke coming out of the back wheels. This happened on several occasions, handbrake still worked fine and shoes still looked good when checked some time later.

This, on my VC Commodore back in the early 90s.  Drove home from my girlfriend's place, about 70km, in about 25 minutes**.  Got home to see this eerie glow coming out from between the spokes of the Dragways at the rear of the car.  Brake drums were at yellow heat.  Never missed a beat after that, for years.

**Yes, average speed on that trip was usually >160 km/h.

Haha .. thanks guys .. I left the handbrake on myself a couple of times while driving.

Not for too long though.

It's also good practise to slightly engage the hand brake from time to time while driving to clear the rust in the drum.

Edited by Torques

11 hours ago, Torques said:

It's also good practise to slightly engage the hand brake from time to time while driving to clear the rust in the drum.

I use the handbrake at full crank to brake check kunts who are tailgating me.  No brake lights gives them an even bigger scare.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2019 at 12:04 AM, GTSBoy said:

I use the handbrake at full crank to brake check kunts who are tailgating me.  No brake lights gives them an even bigger scare.

I do that tooo ! That will teach 'em ! :)

So to conclude this post ... the brake shoes I did order did not fit and I decided to re-ruse the old ones.

One side was thinner than the other and quite glazed, so I suspect it had not been adjusted correctly.

I gave both sides a treatment with sanding paper, and I suspect that these pads were the Nissan ones form when the car rolled down the assembly line.

First 2 pictures are from the worn pad, 3rd is the other side which I cleaned up and slightly sanded.

P_20190323_141912_1_p-01.jpg

P_20190323_183757_1_p-01.jpg

P_20190324_195519_1_pa.jpg

P_20190323_195651-01.jpg