• Welcome to SAU Community

Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

Click here to register

Torques

Brake shoe compatbility? R33GTST / Skyline Crossover

I'm installing new rear rotors and rather have new brake shoes while at it.

Now at least on EBay brake shoes for the R33 GTST seem to be over priced.

Now I came across this ad:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-PROTEX-Brake-Shoes-Rear-For-NISSAN-SKYLINE-C211-2D-Cpe-RWD/152320034436?fits=Model%3ASkyline|Plat_Gen%3AR33&hash=item2376fb4684:g:sCgAAOSwqjhcHkrT

According to the compatibility list the r33 uses the same shoes as a Skyline Crossover which sounds hard to believe but would be great since much cheaper.

Any input appreciated .. thanks!

There in black and white so must be true!

Also completely unnecessary.  They are a handbrake shoe.  They don't wear out.

On 3/9/2019 at 9:30 PM, GTSBoy said:

Also completely unnecessary.  They are a handbrake shoe.  They don't wear out.

You don't know until you know :)  ... it's a 20 year old car and I rather have new ones at hand while replacing the rotors. Shoes might be cracked, brittle, worn,  or just fine ...

Edited by Torques

My brake shoes are nearly 30 years old and still fine.  They are a handbrake.  If the car doesn't roll downhill, they're working.  They certainly shouldn't do any work at all in a normal life.

I remember forgetting the handbrake on and driving for half an hour in my dads vc commodore back in the days when i was a p plater. Only realised when i hopped out of the car and there was smoke coming out of the back wheels. This happened on several occasions, handbrake still worked fine and shoes still looked good when checked some time later.

I doubt your handbrake shoes copped anything like that so they should be fine but if you wanna change them, go ahead. Yoy just reminded me of that whole experience with the good old vc.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, admS15 said:

I remember forgetting the handbrake on and driving for half an hour in my dads vc commodore back in the days when i was a p plater. Only realised when i hopped out of the car and there was smoke coming out of the back wheels. This happened on several occasions, handbrake still worked fine and shoes still looked good when checked some time later.

This, on my VC Commodore back in the early 90s.  Drove home from my girlfriend's place, about 70km, in about 25 minutes**.  Got home to see this eerie glow coming out from between the spokes of the Dragways at the rear of the car.  Brake drums were at yellow heat.  Never missed a beat after that, for years.

**Yes, average speed on that trip was usually >160 km/h.

Would drifting wear them out?

Also, try using the handbrake on an R31 :)

Drifters should not use the tiny little handbrake stuff on Nissans.  That is why hydraulic handbrakes exist.  But also, drifters should know better and expect their shit to break/wear out anyway.

Haha .. thanks guys .. I left the handbrake on myself a couple of times while driving.

Not for too long though.

It's also good practise to slightly engage the hand brake from time to time while driving to clear the rust in the drum.

Edited by Torques

11 hours ago, Torques said:

It's also good practise to slightly engage the hand brake from time to time while driving to clear the rust in the drum.

I use the handbrake at full crank to brake check kunts who are tailgating me.  No brake lights gives them an even bigger scare.

• Haha 1